The Center of Time

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"My friends and I are looking for a caravan to guard though the Sheer. What can you offer us to keep you alive?"

"Oh. My. Word," the man says, his pale eyes going very round. "I thought you were dead!" He makes an abortive gesture, as if he were about to try to clasp you hands, then thinks better of it. "Sorry, rather. I saw you fight a few years ago - amazing! And-." He stops himself as one of his employees tosses a nutshell at his head. He glares at him and turns back to Duncan. "The name's Sevarr Trim. I'll be frank with you; I know I can't pay you what you're worth. But if you need to get through the Sheer, I'll feed you and shelter you if you make sure me and my goods and my people get there safely. If any bandits have something you want, I have no qualms with you liberating it. But I don't have any spare shins." He grimaces slightly and gestures to the tough-looking man beside him. "Wisco here is coming with us, but things have been bad lately, and I really could use as much help and I can muster." Sevarr looks back over at Wisco apologetically, "No offense, but you've heard the rumors."

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
"We need your caravan to carry supplies for us, we'll need some room on the wagons." Duncan pauses, thinking... "And some shins when we're done. Where are you heading after the Sheer?"

Shadowsmith

Explorer
Wisco, the Tough Nano who Lives in the Wilderness

Wisco shrugs at Sevarr's comment. "No offense taken. The danger in the Sheer is growing and warriors are helpful in dealing with it."

Wisco looks up at the much larger man with a smile. "The walking mountain here should give us cover if nothing else," he says to Sevarr. His attention turns to Duncan and he continues. "As Sevarr said, I'm Wisco. And you are?"

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"We need your caravan to carry supplies for us, we'll need some room on the wagons." Duncan pauses, thinking... "And some shins when we're done. Where are you heading after the Sheer?"

"I'm heading to Urzat Zaretri, ultimately. Very fond of banners and flags there, they are. Now!" Sevarr clasps his hands together as Duncan puts forth counter-terms, losing his awe to the prospect of a lively haggling session. "Room on the wagons is certainly possible, but times are hard indeed. Strapping fellows like yourself shouldn't have too much difficulty with the ruffians we may see. Say ten shins per person when we get to Wislayn, if we get the bulk of the caravan through."

iamrpgdm

Explorer
Antor speaks up. "My name is Antor. I think your proposal is reasonable. I've never been through the Sheer, but my father has told me stories of the floating metal cylinders with beast heads that patrol in the land beyond. I've also heard tales of the fortress-city. Mostly unpleasant. Have you been through those lands before and what else can we expect during the course of our journey? You also mentioned there being some rumors of trouble traveling through the Sheer? It'd be good to be as best prepared as we can be."

fireinthedust

Explorer
"Duncan Kull. And I'm just a caravan guard now," Duncan nods to the other guard.

He looks back to Sevarr, considering their deal. "Ten shins, space on the wagons for our equipment, looting rights to whatever we find along the way, expenses related to the job of guarding your caravan... and meals to keep up our strength. And you have a bargain." He holds out his hand to Sevarr to seal the deal.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Sevarr listens to both Antor and Duncan. "Ah, you'd hear what's happening in the Sheer from nearly anyone else in town. Abhuman bands, even broken hounds. There's a place in there that's warm, summer warm, and it's drawing them in and making it a tough slog. But with you three... I don't suppose you have any other comrades who're looking for work? But if they'll take your bargain Duncan, so will I." Sevarr will stick out his hand and shake with Duncan, his thin hand swallowed up by Duncan's large one. "I'm leaving mid-morning tomorrow."

fireinthedust

Explorer
Duncan took Sevarr's hand, giving it as firm a shake as he felt a delicate-fingered man like Sevarr could take. No sense crippling him.

"I've heard of that warm spot from some veterans who went there. I'll see if I can get more details when I go to speak with the others, who'll join us if they agree to the deal. Unless I've more to add, I'll see you tomorrow."

Duncan gaves Antor a look, as if seeing whether the smaller man had more to add, before turning and leaving to make the appointment with his band, and perhaps catch the injured relic-hunters he'd met with earlier.

Rumbling to Antor "That was a good find, good job. Sevarr should serve our purposes well. Ten Shins and food for something we were going to pay out of pocket to do seems like a good deal. I hope you didn't mind my shaking on it. I'm... a bit rusty with people. They tend to be scared of me, which can be useful, but some people act strangely around me, and even assume I mean to harm them when I don't. Does that... make sense?"

iamrpgdm

Explorer
"I think you handled that pretty well." Antor says to Duncan. "When I traveled with my father, he taught me to listen more and talk less when bargaining. He said that you don't appear as interested in the bargaining and the other side will fear they're losing out on a deal so they offer more or drop their price. I don't think it works in all cases so being intimidating is the next best thing. You'll eventually figure out how to present your non-intimidating side. Just think about how you deceive your foes in the Arena and try applying some of that deception when you meet people. Of course, don't follow through with an attack after you've pulled off the deception."

Tashtego

Explorer
Meanwhile, back at the Scavenger's Art...

Seregal wanders over to Echo after his chat with the barkeep. "It may be better to join a caravan," he explains, outlining his conversation with the barkeeper. "It certainly does make sense from a logistical perspective. I'll mention this Sevarr Trim to the lads when they return. I'm just going to step out to the market place for a few while, to see if I can dig up any more information about this Jastor character. You're welcome to join me if you think you've learned everything you can about that map."

[OOC: I'm just going to out to hob-nob/mingle/discuss and see if I can find out any more information about Jastor Knoop in a sort of 'Gather Information' montage ("Montage!") I will spend 2 points of Intellect to lower the difficulty of my roll by 1.

Now, I will shake the virtual dice of the invisible castle...]

Remove ads