The City Arcana [3.5][Mature][Dark]

moritheil

First Post
I would love to play the Mystic Knight. He will probably be a human. I will have one stat'd up and everything on wednesday (works been crazy). I like the "coldly neutral" viewpoint, although I'm sure it will rub some people the wrong way. I doubt I take him into a PrC, since I would like to see how the Mystic Knight class plays out.

I look forward to reviewing it then. :)

frostrune said:
Hmmm.. this looks very interesting. If it is not too late I'd like to toss a concept out there.

I'll be answering questions and accepting submissions all week, so it's certainly not too late.

Your backstory is not bad. Go ahead and write up a character for me to review.

16 = 10 + 2 + 2

Your sheet has a few errors. You might want to fix them before I formally review it in depth.

Another concept i find worthy is a converted to undead soldier, that with some divine intervention retains his soul and personality, and in some sort of way makes him understand that the magic has its place in the world, making him a fervent adept to the cause of magic.
Let's not have a character whose origin makes little sense within the framework of accepted facts and has to be handwaved every time he's introduced to someone new. It makes for awkward campaigns.

Mechanically, there's no canonical way to play a level 1 undead. This is because undeath gives too many benefits (immunity to mind-affecting, stun, poison, critical hits, disease, negative energy) to be allowed at level 1. I see no reason to change that.

Alignment would be a problem though.
I won't veto evil characters just because they are evil. If, say, a ninja were evil but very clever and discreet about it, then that might simply serve as another interesting plot point. If someone submitted a chaotic evil barbarian whose modus operandi was to fly into a rage and start fights for no reason, I would reject it and question whether or not he was trying to get the whole party killed.

blackrat said:
Wow! You certainly got people interested it seems :D. Well, I am already in a quite a few games so I'll withdraw from this in order to let others take preference.

I have some mixed feelings about a player of your high caliber withdrawing, but I am sure that others will appreciate the gesture. :) Thanks for letting us know.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I have some mixed feelings about a player of your high caliber withdrawing, but I am sure that others will appreciate the gesture. :) Thanks for letting us know.

Well, if it happens that you suddenly find yourself with too few players (doubtfull, but it could happen :D), let me know ;).

moritheil

First Post
Do you have an RG thread started or how should I get it to you?

Sorry I wasn't clear about this earlier. I'm having everyone submit applications in this thread, then reviewing them and approving players. Approved players will then put up their characters in the RG. :) This avoids the clutter of interested parties leaving extra sheets in the RG that ultimately have no bearing on the campaign.

Drowned Hero

First Post
Your sheet has a few errors. You might want to fix them before I formally review it in depth.

Let's not have a character whose origin makes little sense within the framework of accepted facts and has to be handwaved every time he's introduced to someone new. It makes for awkward campaigns.

Mechanically, there's no canonical way to play a level 1 undead. This is because undeath gives too many benefits (immunity to mind-affecting, stun, poison, critical hits, disease, negative energy) to be allowed at level 1. I see no reason to change that.

I won't veto evil characters just because they are evil. If, say, a ninja were evil but very clever and discreet about it, then that might simply serve as another interesting plot point. If someone submitted a chaotic evil barbarian whose modus operandi was to fly into a rage and start fights for no reason, I would reject it and question whether or not he was trying to get the whole party killed.

10+2+2 aint 16? Seems like i used my math classes to sleep or read sci-fi. Im pretty sure i used my religion class for that at least... and biology.

I see the enormous posting that would be necessary to explain everyone in a city that. No hes not evil and will not eat you, yes you can trust him with this important mission, no he will not eat you, stop screaming please hes fine just a bit underfeed, and ugly and smells funny... no he wont eat you..

B-)

frostrune

First Post
Sorry moritheil. In the process of making up a character I am realizing I am so far into 4E that I can't seem to go back.

This game sounds like it will be a a lot of fun but I must humbly withdraw my submission.

Good luck to you.

Frostrune

Gli'jar

First Post
Thank you for the opportunity but due to time constraints in real life I won't be able to submit a well written or thought out character concept any time soon. Good gaming.

moritheil

First Post
So far we have the following applications:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/members/reveille.html Reveille - Human Wizard
crazy_monkey1956 - Dwarven Wizard
Drowned Hero - Human Ninja
OnlytheStrong - Human? Mystic Knight (pending)
pathfinderq1 - Elan Psion? (pending)

Strictly from a metagame point of view, I feel obligated to point out that if we have a Mystic Knight, then the more arcanists, the more synergy. The class has a unique debuff against arcane saves and is designed to work with arcanists.

This game sounds like it will be a a lot of fun but I must humbly withdraw my submission.

I see. Thanks for notifying me.

Gli'jar said:
Thank you for the opportunity but due to time constraints in real life I won't be able to submit a well written or thought out character concept any time soon.

Thanks for notifying me. I understand.

moritheil

First Post
Hmmm. I like the Ninja concept a lot, but i want to multiclass him with a sorcerer i think at some point. I want my character to have the magic spark within. Any recommended prestige class I can work towards?

Arcane Trickster, Suel Archanamach, Magical Trickster, Daggerspell Mage, and that diviner/rogue PrC whose name escapes me right now.

Also, you may want to consider the feat Ascetic Mage especially if you're going to take a lot of Sorcerer levels. A Ninja/Battle Sorcerer with Ascetic Mage is quite viable (the feat re-keys the AC bonus to Cha, not Wis, and it makes Sorcerer levels count for the purposes of the AC bonus.)

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'm still holding in between two concepts- the elan psion might be an interesting foil to traditional arcanists, but I might want to "play along" with the more normal possibilities. So, two capsule concepts:

1. Elan psion (possibly pure psion, possibly aiming for Metamind or Psion Uncarnate). For thousands of years, the elan have dwelled in the remote corners of the world, their small outposts deliberately isolated from the mundane concerns as they pondered the truths of the mind, and of the world around them. From time to time, each outpost might sent forth a lone wanderer or two- perhaps to seek a particular item, or a certain piece of information; but for the most part they were content to dwell apart. But with the Purge gaining strength, even their power and isolation were not enough to shield them. When they could be found, the forces of the enemies sought out these citadels and threw them down- killing the 'mind-mages', destroying their crystals of power, and obliterating every scrap of knowledge they found. But in their anger and ignorance, they failed from time to time... New elan were not born, after all- they were made, grown within crystalline cocoons. To the eyes of the uninitiated, some of these 'unborn' elans looked like prisoners, held within glassy cells, thier minds damaged or destroyed by the mind mage jailers. Suvaria was one such- nearing her 'birth', she was released by the same folk who had just wiped out the rest of her colony. She was at a loss as to what to do, but the conversations of her 'rescuers' spoke of one city left unburnt, where the dark wizards yet lived- and that was where she knew she had to go, to find the secrets of her own past, and to strike at those who had slain her people.

2. Human Beguiler/Warlock (aiming for Eldritch Theurge and using the Fey Heritage feat chain from Complete Mage). Even before the time of the Purge, the fey folk had sensed a change coming, and many of them had begun to retreat from the mortal world. Those few that remained often lived in isolated, inhospitable places- deep dark forests, windswept mountaintops, oases deep in the desert... Wherever they lived, though, they still had some interest in human contact, and some humans still sought out theiir wisdom and magics. The Oasis of Silver Leaves was one such place- the sages and wisewoman of the desert tribes made a yearly pilgrimage to the fey lords and ladies who held court there. Some children were born with such a heritage, and they were often marked for greatness. Sayida was one such child- from an early age, she had a talent for magic, and a keen mind. She was raised to be a wisewoman and a lorekeeper, to serve her tribe. But as the Purge gained strength and support, some of the tribes joined the movement, slaying all of the mages they could find. the few tribes that resisted the call,and resisted the violence of the converts, knew that something had to be done, and they sent some of their few remaining wisefolk to the fabled city of Arcana...

Remove ads