The City Arcana [3.5][Mature][Dark]

Leif

Adventurer
Sorry, moritheil, I"m going to go ahead and back out early before I bite off more than I can chew. There's just no way that I have time for another game. Woulda been great, though.....

moritheil

First Post
Heads up on metaplot structure - I like to ease people into my campaigns with a small miniquest so that the group gets used to functioning together. Thus the first bit might not seem directly relevant to the overall story you've been told.

I don't really want to throw you up against the most intelligent and brutal adversaries until you've had a chance to work with each other as a group.

pathfinderq1

First Post
First draft- Sayida (Elan monk 1)

Name: Sayida

Race/gender: Elan/female
Size/type: Medium/Aberration
Class: Monk 1/Psychic warrior 0
XP 0; total level 1
Alignment: LN (G)
Languages: Common
HP: 9 (8 +1 CON)
AC: 16 (t16/ff13; DEX +3; WIS +3)
Initiative: +3 (DEX)
Move: 30 feet (no armor/unencumbered)
BAB: +0 (Melee +0/Missile +3/Finesse +3/Grapple +4)
>Unarmed strike: +3; damage 1d6
>Unarmed flurry: +1/+1; damage 1d6
>Sling: +3; damage 1d4, range increment 50 feet
+3/FORT: +2 base, +1 CON
+5/REF: +2 base, +3 DEX
+5/WILL: +2 base, +3 WIS

STR 10 (+0; 2 pts))
DEX 16 (+3; 10 pts)
CON 12 (+1; 4 pts)
INT 12 (+1; 4 pts)
WIS 16 (+3; 10 pts)
CHA 8 (-1; 2 pts -2 racial)

Feats:
Weapon finesse (level 1)
Improved unarmed strike (Monk 1)
Improved grapple (Monk 1 bonus)

Class abilities (Monk):
>Bonus feats
>Unarmed strike
>Flurry of blows
>Armor class bonus

Racial abilities (Elan):
>Size= Medium; Base Speed = 30 feet
>Aberration type (but no darkvision)
>Naturally psionic
>Resistance
>Resilience
>Repletion
>Trance: 4 hours of meditation, provides the same effect as 8 hours sleep

Power points: 2

Powers known:
None yet

Skills (at level 1; 4+1=5 x4= 20 sp) (Total/skill//points/ranks/adjustments):
+4/Autohypnosis//2 cc/1/WIS +3
+5/Balance//2/2/DEX +3
+2Climb//2/2/STR +0
+3/Concentration//2/2/CON +1
+2/Jump//2/2/STR +0
+2/Knowledge- arcane//2 cc/1/INT +1
+2/Knowledge- psionics//2 cc/1/INT +1
+2/Psicraft//2 cc/1/INT +1
+7/Tumble//4/4/DEX +4

Possessions (10.1 gp spent, 2.4 gp left):
>Quarterstaff (0 gp)
>Dagger (x2)(4 gp)
>Sling (0 gp)
>Sling bullets (x10)(1 sp)
>Backpack (2 gp)
>Travelers outfit (x2)(2 gp)
>Belt pouch (1 gp)
>Flint and steel (1 gp)

Description: Sayida is a petite young woman, both short and slender- just under 5 feet tall, and weighing no more than 100 pounds. She has dark eyes and black hair that she keeps cropped very short, but her skin is almost unnaturally pale. Her face never seems to show emotion, and her gaze is always direct and unblinking, nearly the stare of a predatory bird.
She wears low soft boots, loose-cut trousers, and a simple wrap jacket over a lightweight shirt, all in shades of grey. A large leather satchel is slung over one shoulder, and a pair of fighting knives are tucked into her wide sash- besides a long staff, she seems to have no other weapons.

Background: [sblock] Like all élan, Sayida was not born, she was made. Her folk had dwelt within the ancient citadel of Kethuvair, high in the remote mountains, for thousands of years, exploring the secrets of the mind and the body. The forces of the purge knew little of the ways of the spirit, and did not differentiate between those esoteric scholars and more traditional mages- nor did they respect the élan colony’s proclaimed neutrality. Those forces overran the citadel’s defenders and slew all within the walls. In their ignorance, though, they mistook the crystalline cocoons of as-yet “unborn” élan for some kind of sculpture or relic, and left them undamaged. Shortly after the forces of the Purge moved on, some scavengers from the mountain tribes snuck into the now-ruined citadel in search of relics to sell…
No longer maintained by the élan masters, the birthing crystals had begun to fail- most of the élan “children” had perished. Sayida was still alive (if only barely), and the curious tribal scavengers brought her back to their village and nursed her back to health. At first she was at a loss as to what to do, but the tribe’s elderly shaman had some advice. He instructed her to go the city of Arcana- if any of her folk lived, they might go there, and if not, the scholars might have information for her. Sayida set out the next day. The journey was quite hard, especially since her premature awakening had seemingly prevented her mental powers from being fully developed.
When she arrived in Arcana, she did indeed find a few other élan, refugees from other destroyed citadels. They lacked the knowledge to awaken her latent powers, but seemed confident that those gifts would develop in their own time. In the meantime, she received training in physical skills and mental discipline- some skills which the élan had honed during their long study, and other lessons culled from other races. [/sblock]

Gantros

Explorer
Since you don't appear to have closed this off yet, here's a late but fully statted entry. If you don't allow the Domain Wizard from UA, he can easily be tweaked into an Evoker instead.

[sblock=Sosen - Background]The Order of Blueflame was all Sosen had ever known. As a young child, he was taken in by the ascetic, militaristic group of spellcasters out of pity, apparently after a battle that took the lives of his parents. Known for its harsh discipline, its mercenary nature, and its mastery of magical fire and force, the Order was headquartered in a remote fortress known as Blueflame Keep. Growing up in the Keep, Sosen performed menial tasks and stayed beneath the notice of the mages. As he grew though, so did his curiosity, and he began haunting the Keep's library in his spare time. One of the mages, Folenowl, took notice of his keen intellect, and began occasionally rewarding him for good work by letting him read some of the tomes and scrolls, or answering his questions about arcane lore. Eventually, Folenowl managed to convince his colleagues to allow Sosen to become his apprentice, and began his training as a member of the order.

Years later, Sosen found himself journeying back to the Keep, having completed some errands in a nearby town. His brow glistened with sweat as he hastened up a hillside, knowing he still had a few hours of travel ahead of him. The Rites of Purification would begin tomorrow, and as tradition dictated, all the Masters of the order had returned to Blueflame Keep to participate in the ceremony. There they would induct him and the other initiates officially into the order, and discuss matters of importance among themselves. The Rites were largely a formality, but he still cringed at the thought of what might happen if he showed up late for such a momentous occasion.

Sosen knew that the crest of this hill would offer his first glimpse of his home, but even before he reached it he realized something was wrong. The sky ahead had taken on an odd, unnatural color, and despite the fair weather he could have sworn he heard the sound of distant thunder. Peering over the top, he caught sight of a dark cloud swirling above the Keep. Flashes of magical energy flickered beneath it, and strange winged creatures that appeared to be of fiendish origin circled in the air around it. At that moment, he nearly jumped as his master's voice spoke urgently into his mind:

"Turn back ... the tyrants have come ... Blueflame is besieged ... we are betrayed ... the wards have been breached ... make haste to Arcana ... await me there."

The ominous sending drained the blood from Sosen's face. How could this have happened? Who could have betrayed them? He felt a surge of fury and nearly rushed down to the Keep's defense, but he quickly thought better of it. Despite the bond they shared, he knew Folenowl was still a coldly calculating man. He would not have sent Sosen away without good reason, or simply out of the kindness of his heart. Composing himself, Sosen delivered the reply he knew was expected of him. "I hear you and obey, Master."

Two weeks later he arrived in Arcana, tired and anxious. He had been ill-prepared for such a long journey, and within a few days he had already expended all but his last few coins. With no sign of his Master, and no word from anyone that might hint at the fate of the Keep and the Order, he had begun to fear the worst.[/sblock]

[sblock=Sosen - Character Sheet]
Sosen Chuilyn
Male Human Domain Wizard (Fire) 1
True Neutral
5'8", 150 lbs, age 22

Languages: Common, Draconic, Ignan, (additional human language)

Str 12 (+1)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 16 (+3)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 10

HP: 6 (4 +2 Con)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex +4 Feat)
Speed: 6 squares (30 feet)

Defenses
AC: 12 (+2 Dex)
Touch AC: 12 (+2 Dex)
Flat-Footed AC: 10
Fortitude Save: +2 (+2 Con)
Reflex Save: +2 (+2 Dex)
Will Save: +3 (+2 Wiz +1 Wis)

Attacks
+1 Melee, Quarterstaff, damage 1d6+1 (bludgeoning), crit x2
+2 Ranged, Light Crossbow, damage 1d8 (piercing), crit 19-20/x2, range 80'

Skills - 24 pts (8 Wiz + 12 Int + 4 Human)
Concentration +6 (4 ranks +2 Con)
Craft (Alchemy) +4 (1 rank +3 Int)
Decipher Script +4 (1 rank +3 Int)
Knowledge (Arcana) +7 (4 ranks +3 Int)
Knowledge (The Planes) +5 (2 ranks +3 Int)
Listen +3 (2 ranks cross-class +1 Wis)
Spellcraft +7 (4 ranks +3 Int)
Tumble +4 (2 ranks cross-class +2 Dex)

Feats

Improved Initiative - +4 bonus on initiative checks
Scribe Scroll - create magic scrolls
Spell Focus (Evocation) - +1 bonus on Save DCs for Evocation spells

Human Traits and Powers
Bonus Feat at 1st level
Bonus Skill Points (4 at 1st level +1/level thereafter)

Domain Wizard Class Features
Bonus Feat (Scribe Scroll)
Summon Familiar
Fire Domain (1 bonus domain spell per spell level, cast at +1 caster level)
Spells:
Cantrips - 3/day (all) + Flare 1/day (+1 caster level)
1st level - 2/day (Expeditious Retreat, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Flame, True Strike) + Burning Hands 1/day (+1 caster level)

Spells Prepared
Cantrips: Acid Splash, Disrupt Undead, Flare (Fort Save DC14), Resistance
1st Level: Burning Hands (2d4 fire damage, Ref Save DC15), Mage Armor, Magic Missile

Equipment
Quarterstaff (4 lbs, 0 gp)
Light Crossbow (4 lbs, 35 gp)
Case - 10 crossbow bolts (belt, 1 lbs, 1 gp)
Traveler's Outfit (0 lbs, 1 gp)
Backpack (2 lbs, 2 gp)
Bedroll (backpack, 5 lbs, 0.1 gp)
Lantern, Hooded (backpack, 2 lbs, 7 gp)
Oil - 2 pints (backpack, 2 lbs, 0.2 gp)
Rations, Trail - 2 days (backpack, 2 lbs, 1 gp)
Acid - 1 flask (backpack, 1 lbs, 10 gp)
Waterskin- water (backpack, 4 lbs, 1 gp)
Flint & Steel (backpack, 0 lbs, 1 gp)
Spellbook (backpack, 3 lbs, 0 gp)
Spell Component Pouch (belt, 2 lbs, 15 gp)
Coins - 7 sp

Total weight - 32 lbs (light load)
Total value - 75 gp

Appearance
Sosen has short cropped black hair, a close trimmed beard, brown eyes and swarthy skin. His clothes are simple and well-worn, their only distinguishing feature being his white cloak emblazoned with the sigil of his order, a clenched fist surrounded by a blue flame.[/sblock]

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Hello, hello again. I'm sorry to inform you that Reveille is taking a bit of leave from the forums at the moment, and I have no idea wether or not he will be back before you're planning on starting this.

Second, would you like to post a list of the submissions so far? I am still interested in this game and if there's no longer a clog of submissions I'd like to put myself up again... :blush:

moritheil

First Post
Thanks for your entries, interest, and status notifications.

At this time I will begin reviewing submitted sheets. I will put RG and IC threads up after review is complete.

EDIT: Thanks Blackrat; I somehow missed your post earlier. I will put up a list.

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
So far we have the following applications:

(updated)

Reveille - Human Wizard
crazy_monkey1956 - Dwarven Wizard
Drowned Hero - Human Ninja
OnlytheStrong - Human? Mystic Knight (pending)
pathfinderq1 - Elan Psion? monk
InVinoVeritas - Favored Soul
Gantros - Human Domain Wizard
ethandrew - Pending (I will see if his character sheet submission intrigues me.)

Tanks: 1/2 (a monk), possibly +1 (druid)
Mages: 2
Skillmonkeys: 1

I have yet to see how many pass. I would welcome another sheet submission.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
It seems you guys should really have a tank-like char. I'll whip up somekind of Blade/Spell char by the end of the day. Eastern Europe time ;).

Remove ads