• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The City Arcana [3.5][mature][dark]

moritheil

First Post
As the party enters the cavern, the tunnel widens. A point is soon reached where the humans are able to stand fully and comfortably, and then a further point where it becomes more than wide enough for two to stand abreast.

The animal odor grows stronger, and the light from the shining stone reveals a nest of rats. Though the cavern goes further, the rats make no move to scatter deeper into the darkness at the party's approach. Instead they back up towards the wall, watching very closely. The rats number at least a half-dozen, though there may be more hidden in the crevices and amongst the rocky outgrowths of the cavern floor.

A glint can be seen here and there amongst the twigs and bedding as the light shines over the nests.

OOC: Assumed you picked up Dzax's lit stone, since you didn't specify another light source.

If you want to count the rats, give me Spot checks.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
OOC: Aye, 'twas Dzax's stone, and yes, he definetly picks it up to light the way.

Dzax looks at the piles of refuge with disgust but comments anyway. "There seems to be something glimmering there. If I should take a look those rats might get agitated, and they are already showing unnatural bravery so they might even attack us. What do you think my friends?"

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
"On the one hand, stirring up a rat's nest never ends well. On the other hand, far be it for a dwarf to pass up something that glitters. Mayhap someone has magic prepared to put the little buggers to sleep?"

pathfinderq1

First Post
As the group ventured into the tunnel, Sayida stayed at the back of the bunch, acting as a rear guard. Once they stopped at the nest of rats, she risked a brief glance forward. "Those aren't squirrels- but maybe if someone were frightened or confused, they could make that mistake. Do we want to see how brave they are?" As she spoke, she began to twirl her quarterstaff casually- just in case...

moritheil

First Post
Strange scraping noises issue from the darkness, further agitating the rats. Their squeaking reaches a crescendo, and then all at once, the rats move forward in a brown-furred wave, rushing toward the group and away from whatever lies deeper in the cave.

OOC: Initiative! Both parties are aware of each other, so there will be no surprise round.

Thanks for correcting me about the caster of the light spell.

Remove ads