D&D 5E The Clean Sheet

Gretkatillor

First Post
Well, it took me two extra weeks but the new version is here. Please check it out in the downloads section. I made a level 1 sample character to illustrate its workings.

The sheet has almost everything listed below and some extras. The most important thing is that changing the layout is now very easy, with many more options, and that settings are stored. For this you need to use Acrobat Reader; other viewers I tried can't handle this stuff. You can also very easily switch between auto-calculation and complete manual control, with many options in-between. Dynamic tooltips give you basic info on your background and class. There are new buttons for expertise and (dis)advantage, and you can automatically add racial traits, armor and weapons, item packs etc. You can roll 4d6 and check the average or point buy your stats. You can even sort your inventory. I hope you like it!

Because this was a complete overhaul (all code was rewritten), there's a good chance of typos and other flaws. So please let me know if you see anything odd.

I hope to finish it in about four weeks. [...] Stuff I'm working on (no promises!):

- jack of all trades
- non-printing buttons to configure the layout (which will be remembered) and resetting pages
- tri-state buttons for the skills (grey for proficiency, black for expertise)
- better use of space on page 1 and minor design improvements in general
- portrait option (as suggested)
- example characters (as separate files)
- variant encumbrance
- improved coding (better for future customization)
- labels for traits, flaws etc. (maybe)
- non-printing button to add racial traits in one go (maybe)
- non-printing button to add packs/kits to the inventory (maybe)
- import/export (maybe)
- single-column spellbook with more options (maybe)

I considered moving the spellcasting to the third page as an option, but the space it would create is hard to use otherwise (without changing everything).

Last edited:

Gretkatillor

First Post
That looks great! I really like how the fields correspond with the PHB entries from left to right, makes sense. Only thing I saw was the new 'comps' field default font size was a bit larger than the others. Great work!

I think you're talking about the preview version, which was intended for pen or pencil. The new version (see previous post) should look fine on your screen. If not, please let me know.

Dexta

First Post
hi, great sheet. love the new version. It seems the carrying capacity is calculated with 20lb instead of 15lb/strength point.

asorel

First Post
Suggestion for the next update: Add the "Expertise" functionality to the radio buttons that indicate whether or not a spell is prepared, so that users have the option to indicate spells that are Known or always prepared, such as the Cleric's domain spells.

Dexta

First Post
I noticed another small issue with the sheet or rather its properties. The file you uploaded has a titel (not the filename) "clean sheet". So even if you save it under a different name, once you open it in Acrobat, it is called "clean sheet" no matter what the filename is. This gets easily confusing if you have open more than one at the same time, which our DM usually has. With Adobe acrobat everyone can easily remove the titel and save it without one in order to shows the filename in Adobe. But you cant do that with Acrobat Reader.

I hope the above makes sense.

asorel

First Post
I noticed another small issue with the sheet or rather its properties. The file you uploaded has a titel (not the filename) "clean sheet". So even if you save it under a different name, once you open it in Acrobat, it is called "clean sheet" no matter what the filename is. This gets easily confusing if you have open more than one at the same time, which our DM usually has. With Adobe acrobat everyone can easily remove the titel and save it without one in order to shows the filename in Adobe. But you cant do that with Acrobat Reader.

I've been noticing the same thing, though I think it's in an issue with Acrobat rather than with the sheet.

Gretkatillor

First Post
Suggestion for the next update: Add the "Expertise" functionality to the radio buttons that indicate whether or not a spell is prepared, so that users have the option to indicate spells that are Known or always prepared, such as the Cleric's domain spells.

Thanks, I'm considering this. The downside is that it will take an extra click the change between prepared and unprepared, which in most cases will be the most common action.

Gretkatillor

First Post

That makes perfect sense. I'll change it so that it shows the filename (showing the character name as noted on the sheet would be best but I doubt that's possible).

BTW I'm working on a new version that will have many small improvements and perhaps a big one. Will take about two weeks from now.

Remove ads