• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Coming of Conan Volume 2

I believe it's coming out next fall or winter, 1 year from the release of the first book. But in the meantime, you can pick up The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane which is coming out in June. Looks like they are going for a new release every 6 months of Howards works.

Cevalic

First Post
That is a long time, all things considered. I was hoping for summer at the latest, but I guess I will have to wait.

Off hand, does anyone know how many volumes will be in it?

Plus what is Solomon Kane about? What type of character?

Thanks again.

Swoop109

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Why such a delay? I mean, it's not like he has to write them...

Very disappointing.
I'm not sure why there is a year long wait till the next Conan. I do know that the Solomon Kane will be out in June. It may be that they can only get one book out every six months.

trancejeremy said:
Why such a delay? I mean, it's not like he has to write them...

Most publishers have a year long wait between an authors books. You don't want to flood the market by releasing them too soon, and it makes it easy to predict sales and line up a marketing campaign. Plus, if you do one a year, you can stretch the profit out over several years instead of dumping everything at once and then have nothing to follow it up with. Del Rey knows exactly how many books they will be publishing (Conan, Soloman Kane, and I assume we will see Howards other works as well), and they want to take advantage of it long term. Book buyers are more likely to buy books over a period of time than all at once or all in a short period of time. While you and I might pick up 3 or 4 books in a series all at once, most readers will not. Plus, by building in a waiting period, they are almost guaranteed bigger sales figures the first month the book is released as the fans who have been eagerly waiting for the book grab it as soon as it's available. It's all about marketing and sales, not getting you what you want when you want it.

Last edited:

terryallenuk

First Post
Current plans are

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (December 2003) - illustrated by Mark Shultz
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane (Summer 2004) - illustrated by Gary Gianni
The Bloody Crown of Conan (Fall [December] 2004) - illustrated by Gary Gianni
Bran Mak Morn: The Last King (May 2005) - illustrated by Gary Gianni
The Conquering Sword of Conan (Fall 2006) - illustrated by Greg Manchess

If these are succesful another 5 book deal is planned with Kull next I believe.

Terry

shilsen

Adventurer
Cevalic said:
Plus what is Solomon Kane about? What type of character?

Solomon Kane is a Puritan swordsman who ends up (in many of his stories) fighting monsters and witchcraft in Africa. Very interesting character. Much grimmer than Conan and IMO some of Howard's best writing is in the Kane stories.

There's a great one where Kane meets the "real" version of the classical harpies. The title is "Wings in the Night" or something like that. Does anyone remember?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads