• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The cost of D&D 5E (it ain't so bad!)

Mercurius

Legend
I've been hearing quite an outcry about the cost of D&D 5E which, if we count the three core rulebooks, turns out to be $150 list price (although, more realistically, it will end up costing somewhere in the vicinity of $100-120 on Amazon). Let's take a look at that.

First of all, $150 is about how much money one might spend taking their partner out to dinner or a show, and a few drinks. One night's entertainment. I don't play video games but don't they cost about $50 a piece? That's three video games. $150 is also about three months of a smartphone or a month of Comcast Triple Play. Or it is about 7-8 times at the movie - a ticket, popcorn, and a soda.

OK, so now that we've seen that $150 for hundreds if not thousands of entertainment is good value, let's compare it to other RPGs. We should start with Pathfinder, because it is the most comparable game.

So what is Pathfinder's equivalent to the Holy Trinity? Well it is hard to say. On one hand, the core rulebook is enough to play - but I would say that it includes just about eveything the PHB will have (as far as we can tell), plus a good chunk of the DMG. But it doesn't have a chunk of what the DMG will (allegedly) include--which seems more along the lines of the Gamemastery Guide--nor does it have the monsters. So to get the full span of the Holy Trinity in Pathfinder, you have to buy the core rulebook ($50), the Gamemastery Guide ($40) and at least one Bestiary ($40) - which is $130. Factor in a bit of five-year inflation (the core rulebook and Bestiary came out in 2009, and the GG in 2010), and we're talking more like $140-145.

OK, so the total package is similar in cost.

But to be fair, Pathfinder offers a more complete core rulebook - at least as far as we can tell. We can only assume tha the PHB will not include any rules for DMing or magic items, although we don't know for sure. So with Pathfinder you can get away with just having the core book and the Bestiary, which is $90, or inflated to $100 - the same amount as the 5E PHB and MM. But again, it remains to be seen if the game is complete without the DMG, or how complete. Either way, the difference between the two--if any--isn't that much to inspire too much nerdrage (and if it does, I'm guessing that it is really transferred from some other object of rage).

Now other RPGs have much lower start-up costs, although of course you're usually getting much less material to play with as well. But this isn't new for D&D, nor is it any different than Pathfinder - so if you're pissed off with WotC then you should be pissed off with Paizo, and if you're pissed off with both then maybe another game is in order.

So there we have it. Is 5E over-priced? Not really - not for what you're getting in terms of entertainment value, nor in relation to other RPGs. It is probably on the upper end of cost - maybe even the most expensive (although let's not talk about miniature wargaming) - but this is simply how the market works; Rolex gets to inflate the prices of their watches not only because they're great timepieces (they are) but because they're Rolex, and D&D is the Rolex of the RPG world.

So let it go and move on...and enjoy the excitement of a new edition coming out!

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
First of all, $150 is about how much money one might spend taking their partner out to dinner or a show, and a few drinks. One night's entertainment. I don't play video games but don't they cost about $50 a piece? That's three video games. $150 is also about three months of a smartphone or a month of Comcast Triple Play. Or it is about 7-8 times at the movie - a ticket, popcorn, and a soda.
"D&D is not expensive. Let me demonstrate by comparing it to things that are expensive."

Mercurius

Legend
"D&D is not expensive. Let me demonstrate by comparing it to things that are expensive."

Evidently you miss my point. Sure, it is expensive - but no more than other forms of entertainment, and in the end you get a lot more value than you do from other forms of entertainment that many don't balk at spending money on.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Evidently you miss my point. Sure, it is expensive - but no more than other forms of entertainment, and in the end you get a lot more value than you do from other forms of entertainment that many don't balk at spending money on.
I think most of the people complaining about the price tag would balk at spending that much money on other forms of entertainment, though.

I'm pretty sure the people who can afford to buy three $50 video games on a whim aren't the people complaining about D&D's price tag.

I'm pretty sure most of those people (including me) will read this thread and say "Yeah, those things you mention are expensive too. That's why I don't spend money on them either."

When I compare D&D and Pathfinder, my conclusion is that WotC is free to charge more for their product based in a simple fact: I want to play D&D 5E, not Pathfinder. Those two are very different games, and I don't care that I could be paying $20 less for a product that I won't buy anyway.

To me, every RPG is its own experience. Some of them I want to play, some of them I don't want to, but I strongly believe that the publisher of a game should price it based in what they believe the experience they're delivering is worth; how other games are priced is a non-issue, as long as you manage to find the sweet spot between how much you want for that experience and how much those who are looking forward to it are willing to pay.

The success of 5E will be all about their ability to actually deliver the $150 game they're trying to sell us. I know that Pathfinder isn't worth its $90 to me, and one could say that those extra $60 are the amount WotC needed to design a game that I want to run/play.

That said, I'm still sorry for those who want to run/play this awesome game, but don't have the money to afford the rulebooks. I hope they end up playing anyway.

Cheers!

Last edited:

back when the leak was first new news I posted a question...http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ers-are-upset-about-the-possible-50-price-tag

I've been hearing quite an outcry about the cost of D&D 5E which, if we count the three core rulebooks, turns out to be $150 list price (although, more realistically, it will end up costing somewhere in the vicinity of $100-120 on Amazon).

yes and $40 books would receive the same discount on amazon... so what does that prove?

First of all, $150 is about how much money one might spend taking their partner out to dinner or a show, and a few drinks
. :erm: no...no it isn't. Amy and I go out atleast once every other month on a date night... and we could not do that even combined with that cost... I went all out for valentines day... and spent almost that much... as a once a year treat...

One night's entertainment. I don't play video games but don't they cost about $50 a piece? That's three video games.
I have not bought a video game other then for Christmas for my nephew in 5 years... even when I was doing ok they were way too expensive...

$150 is also about three months of a smartphone
I have to agree there... I have a smart phone and a contract...so it is pay that or not have a phone, because I could not get one today

or a month of Comcast Triple Play. Or it is about 7-8 times at the movie - a ticket, popcorn, and a soda.
I go to Tuesday night bargan night and pay $5 a ticket to see movies... I havn't had a popcorn or soda at one for at least 10 years... I think phantom menese was the last time I did...but I may be wrong.

OK, so now that we've seen that $150 for hundreds if not thousands of entertainment is good value, let's compare it to other RPGs.

ok lets...

http://www.amazon.com/Rifts-Role-Playing-Game-Kevin-Sembieda/dp/1574571508
$25

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Worlds...8&qid=1400549320&sr=1-1&keywords=savage+world
$22

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-He...&keywords=mutants+and+masterminds+3rd+edition
$39.95

http://www.amazon.com/GURPS-Basic-S...=1400549390&sr=1-1&keywords=gurps+4th+edition

and finaly
http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Drag...1-1&keywords=dungeons+and+dragons+5th+edition
$34.99

We should start with Pathfinder, because it is the most comparable game.

Now other RPGs have much lower start-up costs, although of course you're usually getting much less material to play with as well. But this isn't new for D&D, nor is it any different than Pathfinder - so if you're pissed off with WotC then you should be pissed off with Paizo, and if you're pissed off with both then maybe another game is in order.

thank you... I am so glad that someone is telling me that I should not play the game I started roleplaying with...

So there we have it. Is 5E over-priced?
why yes it is...

So let it go and move on...and enjoy the excitement of a new edition coming out!
some of us can't move on, inless well, we move on... as in NOT ENJOY THE NEW EDITION...

I seriously used to think enworld was a nice place I don't understand why people here don't understand that for some people THIS IS A BIG DEAL...

my Tuesday night crew are ready to up grade... and want to play 5e, we play tested the game and given good word of mouth. I have 5 players, and I DM... I can not afford the books, 2 out of 5 players also can not afford the books, and 1 of the 3 who can afford it (one of those people who buy video games btw) has already said he will not pay more then $30 or so for a book... so yea they priced us right out...

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Some people are having sticker shock. The books are more expensive than they are comfortable with. Heck, I started balking at the price of hardcovers when they exceeded $24.99.

But, I recognize that $49.99 is the price that is being asked, It's a pretty common price range for books of the type this day, and I'm willing to pay it. No, I won't feel like it's a value. It's not, nor is it intended to be. But I also don't believe it will be a great barrier to entry.

Shiroiken

Legend
For all the complaints about the price, it is a good price. I had hoped for $45 each, but $50 is not that much more. Really what it comes down to is economics. The books are going to be priced at the highest amount that allows for the most sales. This is the correct price, IMO, to reach that mark.

Of course there are going to be people that can't/won't pay the price. I understand, as I'm a renowned miser (I take great pride in it), and I have bills to pay too. That said, there are alternatives. You can pool your resources and buy the books as a group (I did this for about a decade with L5R). You can save your money, as you have months to work on it, and the books don't hit the shelves all at once. You can ask for them as gifts for birthdays/Christmas/anniversaries/etc. You can wait and buy them used on eBay or used bookstores. Finally, you can choose NOT to buy, which is the ultimate power of the consumer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads