• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Crux of the Matter

Velmont

First Post
OOC: I have a cleric of Gundar, a merchant, a kid and an great wizard and we must stop a gem made of physical time warded from both physical and magical attack...

"Do you think there will be any way to move the Crux?" asks Rinaldo to Rayne.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Sounds about right :D)

"Well, magical attempts seem to fail, and no one could get close enough to push it physically. There is still the question of whether it is tethered to absolute or relative location with respect to its position in the tower. In other words, it is unclear whether it would come along for the ride if we somehow moved the tower around it, or if it would remain in the same absolute location regardless...Of course, moving a huge tower is beyond even my skill."

Velmont

First Post
"Maybe not, but destroying the floor..." Rinaldo starts to thinks of what lies under this room. "A wild surge might pierce the defence fo the Crux, but I don'T want to imagine what could happen if it was destroyed by wild magic... but if we can move it closer to Sin, she might get killed by the ward and thus, gives us more relaxing time to figure out that puzzle."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Yes...I'm not entirely sure whether the ward is caused by the Crux itself or something else in a concurrent location. Also, it is the nature of many normal destructive wards that they won't work if the ward is forced onto the target, rather than the target approaching the ward. However, I do think I could destroy the floor in a pinch."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I don't know. She did tell you she could remove it eventually, though, right? She must have some sort of power over it or understanding that we do not. Do you suppose it is possible that another Aspect created the ward around the Crux for just that reason?"

Velmont

First Post
"She told she would remove it. She also told that if I betrayed her, I would have to surrender my soul, and as far as it is, I'm still the rightful owner of my own soul. I wouldn't be surprised she can remove it, but I wonder if she would do such thing. Also, if she put her hand on the Crux, she might be able to get her hand on all the others who has been absorbed by the Crux magic.

Now, if the field is generated by the Crux itself, she couldn't come nearer but the Crux, once fallen, would not ward ourselves anymore. We would need to jump down with the Crux if we want to take advantage of the ward.

All this situation is passing 10 feet over my head, I start to think I would have more success stopping a war between Sairundan and the Efreet than find a way to neutralize that blasted Crux."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"It is a good bet that much of Elayna's bargaining was a bluff, but that admittedly tells us nothing of her true capabilities with regard to the Crux. And as you say, if it falls and the wards fall, we would need to follow it down. Also, Elayna is likely Scrying on us, so we aren't going to catch her by surprise if the Crux falls down a floor--quite the opposite; she might have a nasty surprise waiting for us down there..."

"This situation seems very complicated, but I am sure that there must be a solution somehow."

Velmont

First Post
"Every problem has it solution... do you have a dimensional door left? You told that when a ward move, if someone or something forced in the ward wouldn't be affected by it. If you destroy the floor under teh Crux and it's fall, you could open a dimension door under it so it fall into teh dimension door. The Crux could then appear over me and I'll be waiting with my dagger, so it won't be me who strike the Crux, but teh Crux who would fall on the dagger... what do you think of that? Could you possibily do that?" asks Rinaldo

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Hmm...Well, the Crux is on a pedestal, so if you were directly below, you would have the pedestal, rather than the Crux fall on you. Also, that isn't quite what a Dimension Door does. I'm afraid it isn't actually a door--it's a spell that transports the caster and perhaps a touched ally or two a short distance away. It's more like a short-range Teleport."

Remove ads