• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The danger of the Three Pillars of D&D

Agreed. But "three pillars" is not about each PC being able to have the same impact on each situation. It is about each PC being able to have a meanginful impact in each sort of situation.

This is where all the hairs get split. ;)

Define meaningful?

In combat, a thief will be generally weaker than the fighter, but sometimes there may be an opportunity to get in a nasty backstab which could be pivotal in the outcome.

What the thief does not have is the round in-round out staying effectiveness of the fighter. If we give the thief class this then they are really just a fighter who's into leather. :p

Would you say the thief meaningfully contributes to combat?

Oni

First Post
For me personally, as long as combat is quick and doesn't dominate play time it makes balancing between different areas of play seem feasible, and it no longer requires that everyone be equally good at any one area, just that they have enough baseline competence to contribute in a meaningful way even when it's not their moment to shine.

pemerton

Legend
Define meaningful?
I think I'll skip any attempt at abstract definition, and move straight to your example.

Except maybe to say that "meaningful" means at a minimum that (i) it would have made a significant difference to the play had the PC not been there (ie mere kibbitzing and advice from the player doesn't count), and (ii) this is not just because, had the PC not been there, the other PCs would not have had to carry his/her sorry behind!

In combat, a thief will be generally weaker than the fighter, but sometimes there may be an opportunity to get in a nasty backstab which could be pivotal in the outcome.

What the thief does not have is the round in-round out staying effectiveness of the fighter. If we give the thief class this then they are really just a fighter who's into leather.

Would you say the thief meaningfully contributes to combat?
Maybe. I guess I want to know a bit more.

How often can the thief backstab? And what is the projected length of the typical fight? Does getting in backstab require interesting play, that is different from the interesting play that is needed to make a wizard or a fighter perform?

As to staying effectiveness - are we talking hit points? AC? mobility? AD&D has at least these three elements of staying power, and 3E/4e add more, like damage reduction and healing capabilities. Provided that a thief uses a different means to staying compared to a fighter - and something which is different not just at the level of colour ("I wear leather armour!") but is different in some mechanically signficant ways - because they require different play - then we can have meaningfulness without overlap.

To give concrete examples: I think that a Basic D&D or 1st ed AD&D thief is either at the very bottom end of "able to contribute meaningfully to combat", or falls below the threshold. A bit depends on the individual GM - how hard is moving silently or hiding with that GM, and how generous is s/he with invisibility items? Also, in Basic a thief can use a two-handed sword, and may well have a STR bonus (starts at 13 rather than 16) and until 4th level has the same THACO as a fighter. So (other than the d4 hit points) a Basic thief is probably more meaningful on the offensive front than an AD&D one. (At higher levels, AD&D thieves get the benefit of bigger backstab multipliers.)

But neither sort of thief has the sort of mobility that would make for staying power. I think that is the biggest issue for classic D&D thieves.

But this then leads into other aspects of design. For example, mobility as a form of staying power that plays significantly differently from hit points will require an action resolution system that makes movement signficant. That need not be a grid-and-minis approach (Burning Wheel makes movement matter, for example, without grid-and-minis) but it is likely to be a module rather than core. Meaning that perhaps to get all PCs onto all three pillars we have to go beyond the core.

For me personally, as long as combat is quick and doesn't dominate play time it makes balancing between different areas of play seem feasible, and it no longer requires that everyone be equally good at any one area, just that they have enough baseline competence to contribute in a meaningful way even when it's not their moment to shine.

Thats a very good point. If a typical combat lasts 15 minutes or so and an exploration, and interaction segment a similar amount of time then its easier to balance the skill sets between the pillars.

An important facet of old school adventures is that they didn't dictate encounter types and players got to spend their adventuring time engaging the world in whatever manner was most fun for them.

If the party loved to fight a whole lot then they kicked down doors and saved asking questions for someione else, if they enjoyed interaction then they could attempt to negotiate through many encounters. If they enjoyed exploration then they might do their best to avoid a fair amount of potential encounters.

This is why a good adventure cannot dictate combat, negotiation, etc. The players have to figure out for themselves what approach is most fun for them.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
pemerton said:
But the non-likeability of the antihero has an impact on social situations. It's a mode of contribution.

Sure it as an impact. My gnome's inability to figure out what other people are thinking has an impact, too. The impact is mostly negative -- it reduces the chance of successfully getting an NPC to behave the way our party wants it to.

I don't want to pass judgement on your gnome PC, but neither the dapper assassin nor the dumb muscle strikes me as ideal PCs for an RPG based on the so-called 3 pillars. If the dapper assassin is in a melee, something has gone wrong. If the dumb muscle is trying to make friends at the ball, likewise something has gone wrong. (In fiction, the dumb muscle generally would be a sidekick or a hencman.)

All these characters with strengths and weaknesses will inevitably enter a situation that features their weakness at some point. Otherwise, they functionally don't have weaknesses. For me, there's a lot of fun in having my gnome potentially screw up our social plans. It's not the best recipe for "winning the game," but chaos is awesome. :)

One approach - which has some merits, and is underexplored - is the lazy warlord from 4e. Another approach - which has been explored extensively, but only in the context of one archetype (the wizard) and has some issues but probably not insoluble ones - is the magical summoner. A third approach, which has also been explored but probably inadequately in the context of a contemporary D&D game, is the sidekick/henchman (eg why can't the dapper assassin have the dumb muscle take part in combat for him?).

Those all patch over the weakness - omitting the failure. The weakness should be present. Sometimes, you should have to roll a dice that you will likely not succeed on. The failure needs to be present. The essence of drama is overcoming a problem -- tension rises (and creativity balloons!) when the odds aren't so great.

Well, here's where we discover (once again) that D&D, played straight out of the rulebooks, is not a generic fantasy system. If three out of ten core classes are about wilderness exploration, the game is going to have to be tweaked or drifted in some way to support urban intrigue. This isn't an issue for class design or the three pillars (a ranger, barbarian or druid can be as strong as you like in each pillar and still suck for an urban intrigue campagin). As you say, it's about setting the parameters at the start of a campaign.

Tweaking and drifting are supposedly part and parcel of this 5e project -- making the game into a game you want it, rather than making you play it like anyone else wants you to play it.

As long as the druid, ranger, and barbarian can meaningfully contribute to the occasional social interaction with a townsfolk (even at a C or D rank), it'll be fine in any campaign that features all three kinds of play (sucking once or twice a night isn't a problem; sucking constantly is). It's only when the campaign skews to one side that it'll skew the class selection.

It's FINE to me that barbarians aren't valid characters in heavily social campaigns (for example). They're still valid characters in standard campaigns featuring a fairly even distribution of the three challenge types -- and they'll weight the game a bit more toward the combat/exploration side of the game. Which is appropriate -- that's kind of the archetype.

pemerton said:
I don't think so. I'm not saying that it couldn't be done in such a game. But it can be done in a classed game also, provided that the classes are well-designed relative to the range of situations/challenges that the game expects players to confront via their PCs, and the GM has good mechanics (and advice on how to use them) for setting up those situations.

I'm just saying that if you want a character's traits to emerge through play rather than before they sit down at the table, it's probably better to have their play determine their traits rather than their pre-game choices determine these traits.

But what is the task? And I'm thinking particularly in the context of social interaction. Is the task wooing the maiden? Or scaring her?

It's either. Both. The task is the thing they want to achieve that has some significant chance of significant failure. Both of those tasks (wooing them or scaring them) fall under the heading of a social skillset.

But D&D has, for the past two editions, taken for granted that there is a difference between being able to make NPCs think you're sincere (Bluff), making NPCs think you're nice and/or worth treating with (Diplomacy) and making NPCs think you're scary (Intimidate).

Sure, but that's not much different from using an axe, a sword, or a bow. The goal is the same regardless of the tool used for it. And in this case, it's actually even all governed by the same ability score: Charisma.

My point is that a PC who is good at Intimidation doesn't play at all like one who is good at Bluff, across a whole range of social situations. Unless we are looking at very simple situations where either might do ("Do we lure the guard away with a distraction, or scare the guard away with our fierceness?"), we are talkiing about PCs who contribute to situations in very different ways, being good at pursuing different goals through social means.

Sure, just as bows and swords and axes all contribute in very different ways.

But you're looking too closely at it, I feel. The three pillars are broad things. I can imagine a character who is not good at using any weapon -- just as I can imagine a character who is very good at using almost any weapon.

So a character that isn't good at social situations is not great at any of those. Of course, maybe they can try for a successful Intimidate anyway, even when their chance of success isn't that great, or their effect isn't that strong. It's like a 4e character with only a melee basic attack. Useful, just not as useful as a character with more stuff.

The point I wanted to make was, from the fact that all PCs are able meaningfully to contribute to social situations, it doesn't follow that they are all the same, or that meaningful difference has been erased. The contrast between a maiden-wooer (say, your dapper assassin) and a maiden-scarer (say, a variant on your dumb muscle) is simply intended to illustrate that point.

Sure, but it should also be possible to have a character who sucks at ALL those things.

A druid who has spent her entire life in the forest isn't going to be good at any of those things, except perhaps with regards to wild animals (where she'll be VERY good!). She shouldn't be forced to pick a method to contribute if part of her archetypal weakness is that she CAN'T very effectively contribute to a social challenge. She can make a skill check like anyone else, but she's not as effective as the bard or the paladin or the cleric (who all have more options and varied abilities to use in that context).

I personally think that this sort of design actually makes for better play, because it puts the players into a degree of tension with one another, and (if they want their various skills to synergise) requires them to engage cleverly with the fiction (much as, in combat, players use a range of clever techniques to try and protect the squishies, bring their artillery to bear without killing their front-line fighters, etc).

I've found that for me, there is a distinction between major and minor encounters. Major encounters require the whole party to contribute something strategically. Minor encounters can be solved with about 2-3 quick die rolls. It's OK to have a character mostly sit out, suck at, or fail, a minor encounter of a given type. But they should have some way of contributing in at least a minor way to a major encounter.

Again, the druid above will not try and use her social skills on anyone most of the time. When she is required to help, she won't be as effective as the rest of the party (though she still has a baseline). That's part of the appeal of being a druid: you AREN'T good with people. It's your heroic weakness. It's fun to have.

TL;DR: the issue of homogeneity/entertaining failure is more-or-less orthogonal to the issue of "three pillars".
And if the designers want to build a three pillars game, then I think it would be a mistake to permit the building of PCs who will not be able to meaningfully contribute.

Don't disagree with any of that.

However, "meaningfully contribute" isn't the same as "has an equal chance of success."

I think that 4e has shown that going this way is design catastrophe, because of the spread of bonuses (and hence need for DCs) that make simultaneous meaningful contribution almost impossilbe (the Essentials patch for this in the skill challenge rules is the under-explained system of "advantages").

Rerolls, or perhaps a broader range of aptitudes ("My guy can both woo maidens and scare them") seems a much better way to go.

A broad spread doesn't mean the whole approach is invalid. It just means you need to narrow the spread. 4e did a pretty lousy job of keeping skill bonuses in check, though it did a pretty GOOD job of keeping attack and defense bonuses in check. Just equate them, and use the same maths for them, and you're good to go.

It's part of character design to have a character who sometimes sucks at something that the party needs to do. It's a fun part of the game to fail in a way of your own choosing (as happens when you choose your class fully aware of what they're good at and what they're bad at), or to try and succeed despite low odds (looking for things like "advantage" or addressing the fiction or using special abilities to better those odds).

pemerton

Legend
Presumably the same would have to be true for social and exploration. Admittedly social has rarely dominated play time in the typical D&D game, but historically exploration has been capable of doing so (especially in the case of some classic modules - I'm thinking ToH, the Hidden Shrine, Maure Castle (Mord's FA), etc).

hanez

First Post
For me to be able to create the characters that I want to play, I require the ability to sacrifice a bit of power in one pillar for a bit of power in the other. Pre 4e D&D has always allowed for characters that are useful in a variety of situations depending on player choice.

I want to be sooooo good at exploration, that I might have to sacrifice some combat prowress to make up for it. I want to be able to play the raging meat smashing barbarian who points to the wizard in the party and says, "you fix problem, you talk to King or Taku smash him!" and I want to be able to play the character who is equally balanced in all areas. All options should be on the table.

If some people want equally powerful PCs as a hard rule to lower variability at their table, they should be able to do that as well, I suggest WOTC make a module for that. "The complete clone" or something like that.

Maybe thats being harsh, but reading the OPs previous thread, it sounds like a great idea, but honestly it doesn't sound like D&D. The thief is the class that can disarm traps, I'm all for wizards being able to do it moderately well, but they shouldn't have the ability to do it equally well as the thief because thats just not the archetype that we play. Can DMs make expceptions? Sure. Can splat or mod books do a different take on this? Hope so. Can the designers add bit more flexibility to the class... ok but don't destroy the archetypes that make the brand.

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
Presumably the same would have to be true for social and exploration. Admittedly social has rarely dominated play time in the typical D&D game, but historically exploration has been capable of doing so (especially in the case of some classic modules - I'm thinking ToH, the Hidden Shrine, Maure Castle (Mord's FA), etc).

Well ideally I'd like everything to be quick and easy to resolve and then the players can focus on doing what they want, and if they aren't all interested in the same parts of gameplay then it can be dealt with quickly enough to keep a sense that everyone at the table is involved in the game as a whole, even if they aren't at right that particular moment dealing with their particular area(s) of interest.

pemerton

Legend
KM, I think there's some stuff on which we're agreed, and some stuff on which we have divergent preferences, but it's a bit hard to work it all out in the abstract. I'll just pick up on some points that struck me.

However, "meaningfully contribute" isn't the same as "has an equal chance of success."
I'm a bit leery of this "success" notion, but otherwise I agree. Part of why I'm a big fan of rerolls rather than bonuses.

It's part of character design to have a character who sometimes sucks at something that the party needs to do. It's a fun part of the game to fail in a way of your own choosing (as happens when you choose your class fully aware of what they're good at and what they're bad at), or to try and succeed despite low odds (looking for things like "advantage" or addressing the fiction or using special abilities to better those odds).
Sure, but I think this is to a significant extent about scenario and encounter design, and also adjudication. That's where the "needs" (in "the party needs to do") comes from. And also the "advantages" and other ways of addressing the fiction.

To try and give a concrete example: barbarians and fighters as just socially inept is a problem in design, I think. (And has been regarded by some as such for a long time - I'm thinking of an article (in Dragon #95 or thereabouts) on non-combat challenges for AD&D, and the discussion of what exactly the fighter might do to contribute - I remember "looking intimidating" being one suggested answer). On the other hand, a situation in which the party decides that sneaking in is their best option, and then has to work out how to get the fighters in (preferably with their weapons and armour), is not a problem but of the essence of play.

Part of what I'm trying to get at here is the difference between a disadvantage/weakness/specialistion that just makes everyone at thet able feel that the PC is a deadweight, as opposed to something which actively drives the game forward, and which makes the player of that PC an active contributor to resolving the challenges the game throws up.

Which takes me to your gnome:

Sure it as an impact. My gnome's inability to figure out what other people are thinking has an impact, too. The impact is mostly negative -- it reduces the chance of successfully getting an NPC to behave the way our party wants it to.
I had thought of the grim antihero as having an impact via his/her charismatic grimness, but that's by the by. I want to talk about the sort of stuff your gnome is doing. I think the game needs to give much better advice to GMs on how to handle these sorts of situations. And perhaps also to players, on how they might approach such situations.

Burning Wheel, for example, requires (as part of its advancement mechanics) that PCs face a certain number of checks that they are almost certain to lose. And comments that, in light of this, wound penalties are actually a good thing because they increase the likelihood of getting such checks (given that difficutly is assessed after penalties and (most) bonuses). So players have a reason not to always try to max their bonus, or have only the "face" do the talking, etc. And then this is supplemented with advice for GMs on how to run a game in which these sorts of situations figure somewhat prominently, and yet the PCs still survive and the players don't feel completely hosed. (Call of Cthulhu gives another, though very different, example of an RPG where the players are generally prepared to have their PCs try stuff that they won't win at, and in which the GM is given some tools and ideas to help adjudicate this.)

D&D has, in my view, always sucked at this - both in reassuring players that they can try stuff they won't succeed at, and in helping GMs adjudicate this (in part because it is the opposite of Gygaxian "skilled" play). If it is meant to be part of the game - as an alternative to full-fledge three-pillars-ism - then the rulebooks should talk about it.

Sure, but that's not much different from using an axe, a sword, or a bow. The goal is the same regardless of the tool used for it. And in this case, it's actually even all governed by the same ability score: Charisma.
Well, in 4e using a different weapon can make a fairly big difference. But in every version of D&D there's been a big difference between melee and ranged combat. And while the goal might be the same (kill your enemies) a lot of the play is in the mechanical and story intricacies of the different means.

But in the context of social situations, I think the gap extends upward not just through the intricacy of the means but to the goal itself - whereas generally speaking, shooting someone in order to kill them doesn't make it harder to try and kill them by stabbing them (although AD&D took a different view with its shooting into melee rules), trying to influence someone by scaring them may (depending on context) make it harder to influence them by wooing them. The interaction at this higher level can, in my experience, mean the shared reliance on CHA isn't such a big deal. The difference in play between a smooth but shallow Bluffer and an honest and reliable Diplomat is often as great as the difference between an archer and a swordsman, despite both the social PCs relying on CHA.

there is a distinction between major and minor encounters. Major encounters require the whole party to contribute something strategically. Minor encounters can be solved with about 2-3 quick die rolls. It's OK to have a character mostly sit out, suck at, or fail, a minor encounter of a given type. But they should have some way of contributing in at least a minor way to a major encounter.
I'm not really into minor encounters at the moment - I tend to see them as sub-elements of major encounters, or as part of exploration. But anyway, I agree that distributed specialisation isn't really an issue here: "The thief picks the lock, then we all go through the door."

With major encounters, though, I think it is a problem if some PC can only contribute in a minor way. And I see "three pillars" design as intended to help avoid that. I also think that more advice needs to be given to GMs on how to frame and adjudicate scenes so as to avoid the issue - and the better that advice, the wider the range of PCs who satisfy the three pillars requirement (for example, as per my other line of conversation on this thread, by explaining how to set up and adjudicate situations in which a fighter can use Athletics as a social skill).

pemerton

Legend
An important facet of old school adventures is that they didn't dictate encounter types and players got to spend their adventuring time engaging the world in whatever manner was most fun for them.
I think this varied quite a bit from module to module.

When I think of ToH, or the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, the Isle of Dread or Mordenkainen's FA, my memory is of exploration overwhelming either fighting or talking. The Giants involve some exploration and talking opportunites, but I think fighting looms very large. Not much talking in White Plume Mountain or the Ghost Tower, either.

For classic modules that are somewhat balanced across approaches, I would think of the Drow modules, and also the Slavers' Stockade. Perhaps the Keep, depending a bit on how the GM runs it. And Castle Amber, although I think it would benefit from much more extensive backstory and advice for the GM.

I don't know the N(? Reptile God) or L(? Bone Hill) series as well. Maybe they were also balanced across approaches.

Remove ads