• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dangerous Book for Boys

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Folks, much as I'd like to step into this discussion with my own opinions, I can't do so. This thread is taking a really political turn. That's what places like circvs maximvs are for.

Interesting recommendation! If you can discuss the book without getting into gender politics, great; otherwise, I'll need to close the thread.

Daniel

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Looking at the book review, it actually reminded me somewhat of my childhood, and a big part of that is my experience with the Boy Scouts of America.

I spent a lot of time learning things like how to tie knots, or start fires...safely.

Since I never took up camping as a lifetime hobby, I've forgotten most of that, though.

Still make some mean paper airplanes, though! I have one design that is essentially a paper dart- accurate enough to hit the net of a basketball goal while standing under its opposite number! (Of course, the only time I had to demonstrate it in front of a big crowd, I spazzed out and threw it sidearm...into the wall beside me! :eek: )

If I had a kid or a cousin under 13, I'd probably buy this book.

Aurora

First Post
DannyA FTW!

"Denying gender differences means ignoring their value."

Anyone ever read Brain Sex No pervs, it's not about virtual sex- LOL

Men and womens' brains are wired differently. It's not a bad thing. My 2 year old daughter plays with dolls, but man does she love cars, pirates and playing "monster" too. I am proud to say, she also likes rolling dice and after she rolls one she yells out "Twenty!!!". :D

Accepting that there are gender differences doesn't mean that society will retreat to darker times when women were kept barefoot and pregnant and men went out to earn the money.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I *will* say, and hope that I won't thereby risk bringing politics back into the equation, that anyone who objects to a school's banning of paper airplanes hasn't worked as a teacher, nor do they have a very clear memory of the policies in place during their own school days. :)

Daniel

ssampier

First Post
Sounds like an interesting book, anyway you slice it (sometimes I often read books I don't necessarily agree with, but I like to get an alternate viewpoint anyway).

Aurora said:

Accepting that there are gender differences doesn't mean that society will retreat to darker times when women were kept barefoot and pregnant and men went out to earn the money.

I like that notion.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know my Paper Airplane failure happened at a school function.

It was a schoolwide Paper Airplane contest, in which I was among the finalists...

Other than that, paper airplanes were pretty much banned during non-recreational hours.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Yeah, it depends on when and why they're being banned. They're really disruptive to have in a classroom, even if students are engaged in independent work as opposed to lecture or other teacher-directed activities. But if they're also banned on the playground, or if teachers aren't allowed to base a lesson on paper airplanes (perhaps a math lesson, looking at symmetry), that might be pretty silly.

Daniel

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I noted that someone posted on Amazon with a more complete Table of Contents and entry number 42 (perfect number) is Roleplaying Games.

I think I'll have to pick up this book. My son is probably a little young for it still, but it sounds like there is some great stuff in there. My father will probably get a kick out of it as well, and it might be really great for three generations to do some of the stuff in it together.

Ferret

Explorer
I'm still a kid, at heart and often in mind. This is the sort of cool thing I like!

Also I'm not a massive fan of NASA!

Remove ads