• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dangerous Book for Boys

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
BoGGiT said:
Touché :eek:

Still though, judging from what that amazon page said, I find that book and what it represents to be pretty darn offensive to me as a humanist believing in gender equality. I sure hope I'm not the only one on these forums to think so.

[snicker]

Biohazard

First Post
BoGGiT said:
Touché :eek:

Still though, judging from what that amazon page said, I find that book and what it represents to be pretty darn offensive to me as a humanist believing in gender equality. I sure hope I'm not the only one on these forums to think so.

Oh, please. Keep it to yerself, ya big wussy. :lol:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
For a (probably) less-controversial book, I just got a copy of 101 Secrets a Good Dad Knows at a baby shower this weekend. Despite its title, it's written by a mom AND a dad and all the illustrations show both male and female kids.

The book ranges from things for very young kids (how to pick up a cat so it won't struggle in a child's arms -- my nieces prove this is a skill that they need to be taught) to much older (how to skip a stone across a pond).

It's also a pretty small book, with each of the entries only taking up a few pages -- about the length of a bathroom trip. ;)

BaldHero

First Post
This book has nothing to do with reinforcing gender roles.
It does breifly touch on how to talk to girls, from the point of view of a seven year old pretty much. It makes it plain that bouts of flatulence are not as impressive to girls as boys might think.

But it is designed to point out to boys, and their fathers, that there is more to do than simply play video games and watch dvds for fun. It has tips for fun things to do like learn to build batteries, treehouses, and other sprts of things that the author and generations of boys did in times past.

I have two sons, and a daughter who are getting a copy of this book to share. The science, the history, and the neatness in it are just way too cool.

Besides, there is almost an entire page that describes the value of playing D&D, and Warhammer gets an honorable mention as well. This is a book that embraces childhood in defiance of those that would have us feel guilty about being dirty, inquisitive, eager, adventurous children.

Remove ads