• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The death of Orcus info needed

Sandain

Explorer
Hello,

Can anyone please tell me where the death of Orcus was published? I need information on the events leading up to it for my Epic game.

Thankyou,

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The death of Orcus himself wasn't in any published product. The closest you'll find is the 2E Planescape product Dead Gods, which deals with his return. 1E assumes he was alive as an Abyssal Lord, and in 2E he was a dead god.

Earlier 2E products told us how it happened. Orcus (who had since become a god...hints suggest it was a Lesser deity), grew lazy and complacent. This allowed the drow demigoddess of revenge and necromancy, Kiaransalee, to use surprise to successfully slay Orcus in revenge (revenge for what is uncertain...since Kiaransalee isn't exactly sane, it may have been in her mind).

We do know that Kiaransalee (and, it is implied, some of her forces) infiltrated Orcus's realm on Thanatos, the 113th layer of the Abyss. While the attack was, presumably, quick, it wasn't so fast that some of Orcus's faithful didn't escape. Most of the escapees made their way to Tcian Sumere, Orcus's hidden fortress on the Negative Energy plain. One, a proxy named Bleeding Setch (see his brief entry in On Hallowed Ground), went into exile by wandering the planes to stay ahead of those who wanted him dead.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
The first sign that anything was different than in 1e was when Planes of Chaos was published, though it wasn't even mentioned he was a fatality at that juncture, just that Kiarnsalee had taken his place.

Later products made it clear that his "death" (as it was, considering he lingered in an undead state) happened at this juncture, but was not any more specific.

Remathilis

Legend
This was done by the nice people of Necromancer's Games. It contains everything Pre 3.0. Lots of Planescape Spoilers, but great nontheless.

Attachments

• HistoryOfOrcus.pdf
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,519

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Remathilis said:
This was done by the nice people of Necromancer's Games. It contains everything Pre 3.0. Lots of Planescape Spoilers, but great nontheless.

To be more specific, the great people at Necromancer Games host (and made it into a PDF) that document that I created.

As it is, updating that has been on my "to do" list for years, and will probably be there for a while to come. Looking at it now, all I see are the flaws I made there (such as not including H1-H4, or disregarding the Basic D&D material on Mystara's Orcus, which I now believe I should have included, as well as the many updated mentions of Orcus that have appeared since I wrote that).

RichGreen

Adventurer
Alzrius said:
To be more specific, the great people at Necromancer Games host (and made it into a PDF) that document that I created.

As it is, updating that has been on my "to do" list for years, and will probably be there for a while to come. Looking at it now, all I see are the flaws I made there (such as not including H1-H4, or disregarding the Basic D&D material on Mystara's Orcus, which I now believe I should have included, as well as the many updated mentions of Orcus that have appeared since I wrote that).

It's still jolly good, though!

Cheers

Richard

Ja, I'd never seen that before, so it was a interesting read. I missed out on Planescape and the modules leading up to Orcus' resurrection, so it was very nice to see that properly chronicled.

jasper

Rotten DM
all lies we all know Dick Clark and Duncan McCloud team up to behead him just after midnight Dec 31 2000.
Alright he slipped on a bar of soap in his bathtub, crack his head open and drown but no one will believe it.

bolen

First Post
You fought Orcus in the module H4: The throne of Bloodstone.

*** Begin Ad ***
(which by the way I am selling all the H series at this years Gen Con auction so you too can kill Orcus) :lol:

** End ad****

johnsemlak

First Post
Alzrius said:

Can you or someone remind me where Mystara's Orcus is described?

Remove ads