The Diary of Elizar Norbe - A Solo Greyhawk Campaign

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 1 - Brewfest 591 CY

Before I begin, I would like to apologize to those of a more historical bent that I cannot afford more precision when it comes to dating these entries. As a student of events myself, I understand the frustration this can cause, however I fear that this record will one day fall into the hands of those who would do me harm and, as such, I cannot be too cautious.

My name is Elizar Norbe late, as of yestereve, of Hardby, once equal of the Gem of the Flanness. My reasons for fleeing the beloved city of my childhood are numerous though they require a little explaination of my past before you may understand them fully. In my short life I have been many things; priest, wizard, traveller and spy.

The brief version of my family history begins with my father, a Souloise-descended merchant of Hardby, and my Mother, a Jasirian witch of Baklunish stock from the cold lands of Blackmoor. Their meeting was hardly the stuff of legends, though love apparently evolved as he brought her all the way back to his homeland in order to gain his family's blessing for their union. Seeing what a remarkable woman my mother was, they agreed in short order and welcomed her, and the status a woman of the church provides, to their bosom. My father died attempting to establish new trade routes south of Sasserine leaving behind my mother, two elder sisters and myself still enwombed.

Out of respect and thanks for bringing me into this world, I will not name my mother or sisters in this text. As you may now guess, the name Elizar Norbe is an alias though I have come to view it as more my own than my real name.

I grew into my family position and followed, at my mother's insistance, my elder sisters into the church of Wee Jas, the Ruby Goddess. Though I displayed great aptitude for the cloth, female apprentices are always preferred over boys, a fact which chafed my pride most acutely. More to the point, the constant snide remarks denegrating the aptitude of the uglier sex had taken a slow and painful toll on my first master and literally eroded his sanity. My first few years of apprenticeship were filled mostly with mortification, brutality and grueling work which left very little time for prayer and study.

But all things come to an end, as the Ruby Goddess teaches, and the brutalization of apprentices is greatly frowned upon no matter the gender. For a while, my position in the church came under question as there were no others to teach me in the proper articles of our faith. It came as some surprise when my new mistress emerged from the shadows under the temple in order to take me in as her pupil. Though I am thankful, I do wonder if she would have been as accepting of me had I been less fair of feature.

My studies began in earnest and I showed an aptitude for both prayer and the powers arcane. My mistress taught me both in return for doing what she was patently unable to during the day and, at times, a little blood or companionship. Under her tutilage I learnt much about the undead and their ways though I never became as focussed on that knowledge as she.

Our time came to an end when war broke out and the Gynarchy called upon every resource in order to defend its boarders from the aggression of Iuz the old. I was drafted by my mother and sisters as an agent and sent out into the world with only a horse, staff and robes on my back. I carried messages, did odd jobs, infiltrated various magical organizations, fought off invaders and comitted crimes that still haunt me to this day. Such is war and the game.

My return didn't come until many years after the war had ended, with plagues of fiends across the countryside and other catastrophies sweeping the land, even as Hardby fell to the Free City of Greyhawk we were still needed to serve the Gynarchy abroad. They were tough times and I learned little as my situation was ill suited to study. But return I did to thunderous silence and vague dismissal. My family hardly remembered me or even acknowledged my presence, so caught up in the power struggle as the aging Gynarch slowly ascends to the Goddess' arms. My sisters are hailed as heroes while I langueish in a barren cell of the Temple I once thought of as home. Even here, I am still a lowly apprentice, barely above my former rank.

I was not chosen as an agent for my stupidity or dullness and yet my peers seem to think me deaf and dumb. I have been accused of arrogance, hubris and ambition; I am an outcast among the living who can only find solice and even good conversation with the dead. Was, that should be 'was an outcast'. Consulting the Goddess with my mistress, we cast together several auguries asking what course of action she has ordained for me. The Goddess told me to leave and seek my fortune elsewhere.

I do feel guilt for leaving my family, even after all they have said and done to me. Wee Jas teaches obedience to church, state and family and yet all beings have a duty to a higher order, the order by which the universe itself is run. Ultimately, I believe that it is this order I am now serving, the word of my Goddess is to leave and there can be no higher authority. Perhaps they are right, I am arrogant to believe that I personally serve some higher cause and yet I am set on my course and my mistress agrees. I have seen too much of the world to be impressed by the fading glory of a small town with pretensions of granduer.

The next morning, I wasted no time in converting most of my worldly possessions into gold. With what small wealth I have managed to accumulate over the years, I have purchased some magical tools that will aid my travels in the days ahead along with passage to Sasserine on a ship that I have no intention of being on. Tonight, I sit writing this diary upon a rock worn by the passage of ages by the light of a fading campfire I dare not build too high. I'm counting on the festival to slow my mother's realization of my absence as well as muddy my tracks for those who she will undoubtedly send after me.

I will take the backroads west to Narwell, relatively easy travelling through well-developed countryside. As loathe as i am to do it, I have discarded my vestments and hidden my silver holy symbol in a leather pouch around my neck in order to pose as a lowly wanderer. After Narwell, I'll head south through Celene and the Welkwoods and into Ulek. From there, I can decide whether to take to ship, travel further south into Keoland and the Sea Princes or north toward the Barrier Peaks. I am positive that the Goddess will guide me to where I am needed most.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 9 - Patchwall 591 CY

More than a week without an entry, I did not intend for it to be so long. My travel has gone as expected for the most part though my resources have been steadily dwindling. I refrained from spending much time in Narwell, wanting to cross the boarder into Celene as quickly as possible and, hopefully, well out of my mother's reach.

I hope to find work once I enter the Welkwood, I have heard rumors of increased Orkish activity this side of the Lortmil mountains. Many fear tall tales of a prophisised warlord sanctified by Grummish One-Eye. Ha! More likely the Pomarj are up to their usual tricks.

I've decided to take a chance and sleep at the local inn of this small logging village. In another two days, I should be in Celene and not a moment too soon.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 10 - Patchwall 591 CY

I was subjected to a curious proposition this morning over breakfast. A halfling trapper entered the common room and bade anyone interested in dangerous work to make way toward his village north and west of this one. Despite repeated questions, he refused to elaborate on the exact nature of this work other than the fact that it would involve combat with dangerous beasts.

Feeling acutely the lightness of my purse, I could not refuse the call despite my reluctance. The trapper's trepedation has not instilled in me any confidence that this job is even for real. Given the lonely state of this road, which is in fact little more than a dirt track, I believe that I am the only traveller who has taken up the call. Perhaps more will come in a day or so, the trapper did say he was travelling further south in order to spread the word.

To wrest advantage from this temporary inconvenience, however, my side trip does bring me closer to the boarder of Celene. If I have any persuers, my sudden turn north should cause some confusion. My educated guess as to my opponents in this part of the forrest would be Pomarj-backed raiders or perhaps even goblinoids. I'll arrive at the village tomorrow morning, so we shall see.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 11 - Patchwall 591 CY

I have been reduced to pest control. The Goddess strokes my back with the iron rod of humility yet again.

My arrival caused a great stir in the village, I was literally mobbed by small halfling children who assumed correctly that their trapper had recruited me to eliminate the great beasts that have created such a disruption to their daily lives. This part of the forrest, cleared a long time ago, has been given over to vinyards rather than allowed to be reclaimed by the forrest. The mayor has explained that they are simple people, farmers, and have no knowledge of how to deal with the great beasts that plague them.

His words conjured up visions in my head of nightmare creatures from the abyss, lost remnants of Iuz's fell magics. While we were speaking, an alarm sounded. The villagers scurried into their homes and hid while the mayor and his rag-tag millitia led me toward the largest vinyard in town. A quick glance told me that there was little chance of fortifying the place against attackers, very little terrain suitable for defense among the rolling hills.

When we arrived, I saw that these fell beasts were, in fact, Giant Bees attracted to the sugar in the vats produced by the fermentation process. Four of them currently buzzed around the structure, lapping up the run-off where they could or even getting inside the vats themselves and gorging on the nectar inside. The halflings were in a state of panic and I must admit, if i were half my size the Bees would appear much more frightening. I also admit that the sheer size of their stingers even gave me pause.

I knocked on the door and called for the owner of the house, who promptly answered. I inquired if there was anything flammable in the vats and he told me no, though i did not divulge my reasons for asking. taking a measured distance for my attack, I got the Bee's attention with a salvo of Magic Missiles. They were slightly faster than I gave them credit for, however, and I only managed to blast one of them down before they came within range for my Scorch spell. One more fell to my scorch spell before they were upon me, one managing to sting my shoulder. I ripped the stinger out quickly before the poison could take any noticeable effect and dispatched the other with my magical dagger as the one who stung me promptly died of its own accord.

Though the job seems ignominious, I am now the hero of the town. They have treated me to the very best halfling hospitality with free room and board at the only building capable of accomodating one of my size, givts of fine wine from the vinyards and a promise of more rewards to come. Tomorrow I set out for the hive with two of the militia's best.

The mayor has also asked me to find out the fate of their sherrif, who disappeared himself attempting to get rid of the creatures. I somehow doubt that I will find him well, animals don't tend to take prisoners.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 12 - Patchwall 591 CY

We were forced to retreat today but our wounds are not so bad that we will be unable to continue tomorrow.

The bees have made their hive in a covered bridge across a deep gorge. After observing the nest for a while, we divined that one always guards the entrance to the nest, a hole a mere five foot in diameter in the wax. Direct assault seemed impossible to me through the tiny entrance at least until we had thinned out the native popularion a bit.

Smoking out the bees wasn't an option as the high winds through the gorge made such tactics impossible. Destroying the bridge wasn't an option either, as the village needed the trade route to export wine into Celene.

I attracted the guard's attention through the simple expedient of stepping out of the bushes and blasting it with magical missiles. I expected some reaction, however the five more Giant Bees that responded were slightly more than I expected. The halfling militia were hard pressed to support me with their slings as the Bee's carapaces protected them for the most part. We made a total of four attacks on the hive over the day, healing and recovering as best we could each time with the aid of Wee Jas on our side. My spells ran out quickly, however, and I was forced to resort to my Wand of Web to divide the squads of Bees and conquer. Fortunately, none of us were seriously poisoned, though I took several stingers during the battle.

It won't be over, however, until we destroy the queen. The proprieter of the vinyards has asked me if it would be possible to capture the queen so that the production of honey could be continually harvested. My short answer was no, though I have suggested to the mayor that he send for a Druid that can maintain the balance of nature in these parts.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 13 - Patchwall 591 CY

I have emerged victorious from the hive. By my count, we piled and burned 40 worker bees in the clearing outside the hive. The queen is also dead, slain by my own hand as i ventured into the Hive alone. It depleted all of my spells to do so but the village is now free to reclaim its bridge. I also retrieved the body of the Sherriff from the gorge, he had evidently been cornered by the bees and knocked over the cliff's edge.

The halflings are busy collecting all the honey and knocking down the wax, though not so busy as to refrain from heaping praise and awe upon me. I find it ironic that I am a hero here for such a lowly job as exterminating bugs when my homeland fails to honor me for my part in protecting them from the direst evil to face Oearth.

The mayor has rewarded me with a magical ring of protection and a letter of mark that will see me safe across the boarder into Celene. I refused his gifts of healing potions and a small ammount of money as his people need those more than I. The ring is payment enough for such a small job, more in fact than the job was worth.

Tomorrow I leave for the deeper parts of Welkwood, heading over the bridge and then to the southwest. With luck, I will find somewhere to sell the wine, at my estimation their value should see me through for the next month or two.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 14 - Patchwall 591 CY

These lands are troubled. It seems that the very fabric of the natural order is in disarray, though that is not how I became embroiled in this new business. In fact, I blame a combination of events and my letter of Mark.

It began after I crossed the boarder and into Celene, finding to great relief that a village was close by as indicated by a traveller's stone to one side of a crossroad in my path. It was as I read the stone that I became aware of a rider appreaching from the direction I was headed. As I turned to look, two armsmen baring the colours of a merchant house stepped out of the dense forrest to meet him.

The messanger got down from his horse and handed a small pouch to one of the armsmen. The armsmen then slew him right in front of my eyes, without pity, remorse, concern or even a shred of mercy. Wary that I was outnumbered, I chose to keep my distance and hail the two murderers, using a prestidigitation spell to cause a momentary crackle of illusory green lightning to arc between my fingertips as a warning.

They stopped and were very polite, amazingly polite considering that I had just witnessed their foul deed. In fact, their manners wouldn't have been out of place in a king's court, it was strange to say the least. They were very fourthcoming, admitting that they had been charged with returning the item handed to them to its proper owner and taking revenge from the thief that stole it by their 'wise master', claiming that their actions were lawful and just. Not knowing the truth of the situation, I bade them leave the way they had come, warning them against trechery. They left and, after I was sure they were gone, I took it upon myself to examine the body.

It was while I was examining the body that the boarder patrol came across the scene. As it happened, it wasn't chance that brought them to me either, they were chasing the 'messenger' who they suspected of stealing a precious object of some sort from a recently interred body. The situation was certainly confusing and I was in danger of being arrested, so I produced my letter of Mark to help prove my innocence. The letter held great store with the sheriff and in the space of several heartbeats I was 'recruited' to help him investigate the matter.

As happy as I am to help the law, this delay with no promise of reward does chafe slightly.

While he returned to the village promising to bring back with him a skilled tracker, he left me to scout the area as best I could. It wasn't long before I found a trail where the armsmen had gone, and in even shorter order I found an ancient elven trail marker mostly buried in the mud. The forrest is very marsh-like in these parts, the result of a stream that flows into a shallow depression in the hilly terrain.

In my initial explorations, I crossed paths with a cockatrice, a swarm of more giant bees and a nest of giant spiders, though I avoided or bypassed each in turn. The animals, tough dangerous if hungry or provoked, didn't disturb me. In fact, it took a human to attempt to waylay me when I was just about to pack it in for the day and return to the road. The two armsmen I had encountered before emerged from the bushes on either side of the trail, brandishing longswords. I was preparing to retaliate when a white wolf took one of them by the throat. The other ran as his friend was torn to pieces.

Shocked as I was at the sudden rescue, I stood terribly still so as not to provoke the wolf who had apparently saved my life. To my surprise, the wolf could speak.Thornfur, as he introduced himself, was once the companion of the local druid, now deceased from old age. He revealed that he had been watching me for some time and had only just chosen to reveal himself as I was threatened. Amazingly, he had a job for me in order to repay my debt for saving my life.

I searched the dead armsman and discovered a very ornate glass eye inset with jewels worth a veritable king's ransom. A pity I must return it to its rightful owner, in fact, it could purchase me much in the next township. Otherwise, I would have sworn that he was an ordinary caravan guard from his equipment and livery. It is certainly strange for such to take up banditry.

Thornfur took me back to the remnants of the Druid's shack, now the wolve's den. Twelve wolves, plus Thornfur, left with us in order to fight some sort of evil plant beast. Our assault was nothing short of a disaster. The moment the wolves came upon the thing's clearing, they charged without even giving me a moment's consultation. Fortunately, the thing had cleared the forrest around it of all other life so I could use my most powerful fire spells against it. It was some sort of fell and malignant tree, an abberation of nature and evil to the core.

Only Thornfur and I walked away from that clearing after making sure the thing was nothing but ash. We dug out the roots even, I poured oil over the burning thing and obliterated it. The loss of the wolves has hit the pack hard, Thornfur hasn't been able to care for the forrest as it was, now he has only one female left and five pups to protect. Tomorrow, he says, he'll take me back to the trail to meet the Sheriff. I feel heartbroken for his loss.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 15 - Patchwall 591 CY

I cannot believe it's almost half a month since I left Hardby. Sleeping under the stars, I do miss the small comforts of home and civilization. Tonight, however, I sleep in a warm bed courtesy of a certain merchant's guild grateful for the return of their master's daughter and heir apparent.

Thornfur and I met the Sheriff and his tracker on the path and the wolf led us around the swampland across several makeshift bridges. Of particular concern to us was that someone had apparently built a dam across the stream, forming a wide, deep, lake upstream from the village I had been heading for yesterday. Our tracker tells us that if the dam bursts that the village beyond would be flooded and probably swept away. Worse, there was nothing we could do about it as two more armsment were guarding the structure and it was the only way to cross to the other side of the stream without wasting a day of travel.

I opted to negotiate with the armsmen, who were very polite but insistant that they were guarding the bridge under the auspices of their 'wise master', a man named Plygar who they described as deformed and missing one eye. They were so insistant that their master's wisdom outweighed all other concerns that I began to suspect that their minds had been tampered with. taking a different tack, i suggested that they allow us across for an audience with the great Plygar and they capitulated immediately, lwtting us to pass.

Eventually, we came to a hovel on the shore of the lake guarded by more armsmen. I left the two soldiers and Thornfur behind and approached the house invisibly from the side. Passing the guards, I walked out onto the verandah that stretched out over the water from the side of the building. Looking through the windows, I identified Plygar easily and, as fortune would have it, he was eating some lunch with more armsmen and a lady of some breeding with his back to me.

I caused some commotion by webbing the guards out front from around the corner of the building, waited for those inside to go to their rescue and then entered through the side door behind Plygar, rendering him unconscious with a quick blow to the head with the butt of my dagger and then webbing the rest of the party. It took some time to snap them out of Plygar's spell, though I did find the magical item responsible for the unfortunate situation.

Plygar is currently in a cell and I have the favor of a merchant house. The dam is being opened slowly and a druid has been called for to take over the duties of the old one in the region. More advantageously, Plygar managed to find some manuscripts that detailed the lost dungeons of some wizard tyrant that currently sit under the water, I am hopeful that I will be able to explore these dungeons once the lake has gone down.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 17 - Patchwall 591 CY

My foray into the ruins was both harrowing and successful. I have slain many undead guardians in that dank pit, bartered with fiends and narrowly escaped acidic death. At first, the skeletal minions were easy, aside from one rotten Ogre corpse who resisted the power of my Goddess. These battles came thick and fast on the first day, forcing me to sleep and replenish myself before I was able to search for valuables or risk delving deeper.

For those of you aspiring 'adventurers' and explorers, I heartily reccomend the purchase of a portable hole as soon as you can possibly afford the cost. I have purchased several scrolls tonight that will aid me greatly in the months ahead just with the profits from the sale of several fine tapestries alone that I would have been otherwise unable to haul out of the pit.

The second day was more interesting. I accidently freed a half-fiendish beauty from imprisonment under the ruin, a very pleasant girl by all accounts although rather fixated on her lost love Radeem, the former master of the tower. She insisted that, though he left her there imprisoned and apparently disappeared for more than a century, Radeem would be back soon to reclaim what was his. I offered to replace what I had taken, after all I am no thief, however she insisted that I take what I could claim as a reward for her freedom. She left soon after in search for Radeem, taking to wing.

Deeper down in the dungeon, I discovered a large chamber that contained the bones of a long-dead black dragon. Wary of an ambush in the half-flooded room, I saught to take the high ground in case the dragon had left any surprises for tresspassers. She did not disappoint, a hatchling burst from one of the pools as I passed by, nipping at my heels as I leapt out of the water and onto the dais with the dragon's bones. At this point, a second slithered onto the dais past the enormous white bones of their mother.

My key strategy was to keep them from flanking me. I backed away down the opposite side of the bones from the second hatchling, unleahing a barrage of magic at the first. It managed to breathe once before I managed to slay the beast, though I dodged the torrent of liquid pain, but my tactic worked. The second made the mistake of performing a wing-assisted leap over it's mother's bones, though I recieved a nasty bite from the creature I felled it with a particularly well-aimed strike of my Scortch spell.

I have collected, while not a king's ransom, perhaps a knight's ransom from the dragon's lair including the preserved corpses of the hatchlings as well as the dragon bones that will go for several golden orbs If I come across a larger city in the near future.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 19 - Patchwall 591 CY

I've spent the last few days setting my affairs in order. Celene's boarder now stands between myself and my mother like a great wall, better than any battlements, and so I feel more at ease. Unless she wishes me dead I have little fear that her agents shall accost me now that I am outside her significant political clutches.

I caused quite the stir at the local banking house when I began pouring a seemingly endless supply of gold out of my extradimensional bag. Several thousand gold pieces is a paltry sum compared to what exchanges hands between the merchant's guilds and other business. So much, in fact, that it places me in very real danger from the local thieves if they can work up the courage to try me. Word of my powers seems to have reached the local populace, as well as my new association with the merchant's guild.

It behoves me to invest some of my gold, at least that which I can afford after I purchase several new spell scrolls, good ink, a second spellbook and replenish the miscelaneous sundries that one uses incidently on the road. It comes to chance that the Guildmaster, as a reward for saving his daughter, has gifted me with real estate, an Inn that currently stands delapedated and useless at the edge of town. I had a builder assess the construction and he declaired it basically sound, while research of my own indicates that fixing the sturucture, resupplying and manning the Inn for business will cost a total of 2000 gold orbs.

I've ordered construction to begin today and hired an Innkeeper with experience in the work to oversee the project. As long as the investment turns a balance I will be happy... though I will audit the business personally from time to time. I do not detect a hint of malice in my hireling's thoughts, which is just as well. My staff will be payed well and kept happy but greed and betrayal will be punished swiftly.

I have made firm friends with the Sheriff of the region after my help with the murder. He is good, law abiding, folk and I think he believes that I will be a stabilizing force in the region. I revealed to him the Goddess that I worship and he was intrigued by my faith. Perhaps, in time, he may convert however I do not preach to him or others the path that I have undertaken. Those who come to the Goddess do so freely and of their own will. We are becoming friends, I think, but time will tell on that score as well. Some of my darker research may alarm such simple harvest folk, my preserved black dragon hatchlings are a novelty but if they realized that such magic could preserve and even animate their own dead... it would be best they did not discover this.

I have heard many rumors of skirmishes with Orcs, though most of the battles seem to be occuring close to the Lortmil Mountains. It seems I was wrong to dismiss these bandits as Pomarj agents, reliable reports indicate that this is some holy Orc crusade whipped up by some Warlod claiming to be the chosen one of Gruumish.

Once my affairs are in order here, I will travel further west as guard to a merchant caravan, it seems that the Guildmaster's daughter will take no other with her on the journey to the capital, Enstad. I have mixed feelings about the visit, the elves have the most annoying habit of being cordial to humans in the same manner humans are to dogs. If I wished more of that sort of condascending prattle, I'd have stayed home or joined the Scarlet Brotherhood. I estimate that it would take me a few months before my anger boiled into a murderous rampage in the latter two cases, let us hope that he Elves can manage to be more civil.

Remove ads