The Diary of Elizar Norbe - A Solo Greyhawk Campaign

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 23 - Patchwall 591 CY

In typical Elvish fashion, I have been turned away from the gates of Enstad without so much as an apology for the inconvenience.

My employer was allowed passage through the gates, however, to conduct her business. It seems that my Goddess is not entirely welcome in this land or, at the very least, mistrusted. I am currently staying in a village some miles from the capital, the closest lodgings I could find on the western roads.

Scant hours after my arrival I recieved a missive asking that I travel upriver to a small trading city near the Lortmils. The river is a very important trade route as barges can deliver goods much more speedily to the coast than by land and it seems that my employer has an interest in seeing that a peculiar affair be cleared up since I am now available to deal with it as long as his daughter is safe in the arms of the Elves.

Not that I mean to imply that she is a loose woman but elven beauty did fall fairly upon her eyes.

The reward for my services is substantial. Ten thousand pieces of solid platinum. If this missive is correct then these merchants certainly know how to make one an offer one cannot refuse.

Last edited:

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 27 - Patchwall 591 CY

Uneventful journey through the Celene wilderness.

I have arrived at Mengate, the river town, to become embroiled in much intregue and political mechanations. One of the few predominantly human towns in Celene, Mengate owes more to its culture from Ulek to the south and Greyhawk back east. The merchant-nobles style themselves as a free city on the edge of civilization even as they pay lip service to their Queen.

I find such comportment disgusting, to disrespect their monarch so, even if justice for humans may be lacking in her Elvish court. I will happily deprive them of their money, however, particularly if the next generation is going to show more promise.

My employer has lost his son, Oreal. Despite this tragedy, he seems at times to care more about his family name and lineage than his son. The last time they saw each other, they argued about taking over the family business, the father wishes the son to become more involved in preparation for his future duties as head of the household. The servants say that Oreal packed for a short journey, as was his want, so he exhibited no unusual behaviour.

My employer also mentioned that his son had recieved some training in arms with elvish forresters, so the lad obviously knows which end of the sword to hold without cutting himself. Hopefully he also knows how to use it, I have a bad feeling about this business. Milord also stated that he has many enemies who would like to see his house fall from grace and ever since I left his mansion I have felt eyes gazing upon my back.

A very bad feeling indeed.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 28 - Patchwall 591 CY

I hate politics. If it wasn't for the money and the plight of these poor, deluded, children I would probably leave these merchant houses to each other's tender mercies and let the Orcs take them.

My investigations lead me to believe that these Scions have banded together into a small mercenary group of the kind common in all parts of the world and sometimes referred to as 'adventurers'. Of course, these children are probably at the mercy of the orc hordes up in the Lortmils after their last expedition, but there may still be some hope that they are still alive no matter how small. Their leader, or at least the most experienced member of their band, was a dwarven mercenary well known around town. I believe that the scions hired him to teach them the ropes, so to speak.

The houses are paranoid, I was even waylayed by a band of thugs on the way back to the Inn I suspect was hired by one of the groups. Fortunately, yet another group hired by one of the other houses came to my rescue. It is disgusting. I will be glad to set my back to this town in the morning, even if the orcs will be to my front.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 30 - Patchwall 591 CY

Two eventful days on the road. I have discovered where the nobles were ambushed by the orcs, as I suspected. It seems that Durin Crownshild, the dwarven mercenary, fell in battle to the orcs that he hated with such passion. The rest of the party must have either lost their appetite for the fight with his death or were shocked into their senses, they have evidently been taken prisoner.

Their folley makes me sigh. Electing a leader such as Durin doomed them to failure. Experience in these matters he may have had but intelligence, wisdom and restraint were obviously not some of his better qualities. I pray that these young fools don't also pay the ultimate price for Durin's folley.

There are wolves and Owlbears about this untamed wilderness, and the orc trail goes steadily north-west further into the mountains. I have fought off or hidden from several beasts already and the wolves do no let me rest in darkness. They aren't like Thornfur and his ilk, they are hungry things as winter approaches, yet not brave enough to test the campfire.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 33 - Patchwall 591 CY

Nothing much to report on for the last few days, the orcs leave a trail that even I can follow, strewn with the carcasses of the noble's horses which they are obviously using as rations. I am tempted to animate one to ride in this damned weather if I were not trying to maintain a low profile.

Today I came to the aid of a half-orc ranger in dire need of assistance against a manticore. He proved to be a genuine and worthy ally, though I was naturally suspicious of him at first. I am sharing his shelter for the night and we set out for the orc citadel where the nobles have been taken on the morrow. It may be a few days before I can write again.

Ipissimus

First Post
Day 37 - Ready'reat 591 CY

Where to start?

Currently, I am resting in a warm cavern with the nobles, supplied by the half-orc ranger that I mentioned in my last entry. We have been moving swiftly as we all fear persuit, though we have yet to see any signs of such.

I arrived at the orc citadel I estimate on the night of Day 35. My companion refused to accompany me inside the edifice, so I had to sneak inside alone. I believe that this tale will be one of use to budding apprentices as it shows an exemplary application of the magical arts, so I will detal my tactics in full.

The first problem was surmounting the wall. Though there was a substantial army camped at the base of the small peak, they were easily avoided by climbing the opposite side of the mountain. Waiting until nightfall, I then cast a rudimentry flight spell and an invisibility spell upon myself and flew to the second story of the keep, over the heads of the guards.

The citadel was still undergoing repairs, several great rents had been torn in the defenses sometime in the distant past. A tall structure, it nonetheless only had two levels, the uppermost more in the way of battlements, defenses and storage for the guards. I infiltrated the main building through a door on the southernmost side on the second level, the guards unable to hear me with the pounding of the rain.

Inside, I immediately prayed for the Goddess's divine guidance in the location of traps and secret doors. My Goddess heard my plea and I proceeded down to the first floor. As luck would have it, I came to a dining room that was both empty and sported a secret door. Thank Wee Jas, it could have taken me years to find that door without her blessings!

Behind the secret door were stairs going down. Descending, I came to an octagonal room with heavy doors to the east and a stairwell on the west, with a pit in the centre that evidently piearced the lower levels of the dungeon as well. I ignored the guards and wasted no time in flying down the shaft.

Spells are so much like timers. I swear I could feel a metronome ticking away the seconds in the background. As such, I was determined to make quick descisions based on my objectives. 1. Find the nobles. 2. Ascertain the orcish forces in the immediate viscinity. 3. Free the noble. 4. Create enough disruption in the enemy chain of command that we can escape. My studies had indicated to me that orc hordes can only act as a cohesive force with a strong leader at their heads. As a race, they are otherwise incapable of functioning, quickly devolving to more primitive habits.

I remember one author suggesting that elves and orcs were a related species. If I also remember correctly, he was rendered down into fertilizer for an enormous oak tree... yet I digress.

The pit did piearce the lower levels of the dungeon and I flew down to the lowest level, bypassing the rest of the guards and traps. It was a gamble, the nobles may have been held on a higher level, yet I was counting on what I knew of Orc psychology that they would sequester their treasures a deep into the earth as practically possible.

The chamber I arrived at was dominated by a pool, fed by a waterfall that rained down from above. Large Orcish guards in ornate platemail armour stood at the two double doors in the north and west, while another passage descended into the darkness of a natural cavern to the east. behind me was the stairwell that went back up into the citadel.

Fortunately, the double doors to the north were rusted ajar behind the guards. I was able to fly over their heads and through the doors without fuss. Beyond were several natural caverns, one of which served as a guard's barracks. Beyond them I found an Orcish witch brewing some form of warpaint, attended by an Orc male stripped down to the waist as he waited for the paint to be applied.

I identified the paint as one of the foul concoctions used in rituals sacred to Gruumish, chief of the Orc Pantheon. Doubly worried for the nobles, I hastened through the witch's den only to discover them bound and gagged in the next room, not to mention much the worse for wear.

Noting my objectives, I ignored them for the moment and checked the next room. There was a very, very large Orc, who I surmised to be the warlord, preparing for some unholy ritual sacrifice on an altar to their God. No points to guess who was going to be sacrificed.

I returned to the nobles and made my presence known as quietly as possible, singling out their Wizardess as the quickest thinker and the most used to dealing with magic. Invisible people can be most disconcerting. While we were talking, the orc warrior from the witch's room walked through into the altar chamber, which was a tense moment for all of us. He passed without comment, so I gave my wand of minor healing to the band's cleric and bade him heal his companions, manacled though they all were.

I then proceeded into the witch's room and strangled her with my garrote. Once she was unconscious, I slit her throat for good measure.

The next order of business was covering our escape, not to mention finding a key for the nobles. I figured that the chief or one of his men would have it, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Or, rather, ten orcs with one ball of fire.

Only the Warlord survived my initial assault, at which point I summoned the power of my Goddess, reaching into his chest with the power of my will alone and crushing his heart in my fist. One of the darker spells in me repertoire, I admit, though fully justified in this instance. I came across the prayer in a necromantic tome during my studies with the Boneheart while I was working undercover during the war. They named the spell 'The Clutch of Orcus', though I have re-named my version to 'Grasp of the Ruby Goddess' as the power does indeed come from my deity rather than a chaotic Demon Prince that mocks the beauty of her dark gifts.

Visible again, I was dependant on the spell to finish off the powerful Warlord, not to mention my desperation to silence his calls for assistance. We were locked in a battle of wills for almost two minutes, by my approximation, before his charred and smoking heart appeared in my hand. The job done, I decapitated the corpse and searched the bodies, discovering the key to the noble's chains on one of the other guards.

Freeing the nobles, we set about ransacking the place together. With their equipment and wounds fully restored, I took the lead holding the Warlord's head and hammer aloft to make an impression on any Orcs we encountered. And an impresion I did make, the warriors dispaired and fled the citadel to a man.

We climbed down from the battlements using my rope and ran as fast as we could back towards civilization, the Orc hordes already beginning to plunge into chaos behind us. Still we fear persuit, so I have pressed us all into moving as fast as our legs will carry us through the wilderness. It will be another week's hard journey home but I cannot fault my companion's eagerness to return to their own soft beds.

I can't wait to return to my well-deserved reward. Last night I had strange dreams of a bespeckled ducks swimming through a vault full of gold coins... perhaps these last few weeks have been more harrowing than I initially thought.

Remove ads