• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The dreaded NPC

Greenfield

Adventurer
In our game the DM has just attached an NPC to the party. We don't want her, we don't need her, and by the end of the session we didn't trust her.

I'm running a Half Satyr Bard who is known to be a girl chaser. Our adventure started at a play, and it was a given that the Bard had a date with him.

Incredibly inept bad guys tried to kill us using name-targeted magic. However, because the play was about some of our own adventures, the spells somehow split and took out the actors first, then tickled us a bit.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the very few spells that take advantage of "true name" stuff won't work like that: The actors were just pretending to be us, and none actually had our "true names". It was a plot device needed to get things rolling and we all pretended it was okay.

Now we're off on the road to someplace of uncertain location (the directions keep changing every time the DM brings them up) to find a house whose link to what's going on is tenuous at best, to solve a problem that really isn't ours.

After our first day of travel, who comes riding up but the girl from the theater. She had minimal traveling gear, is armed only with a dagger, and though she has some jewelry, she has no magical gear at all.

We're 12th/13th/14th level, and we figure that she'll die the first time something looks at her funny, but she refuses to leave.

She's half-elven, and after we learn her family name we divert to the nearby Elven village, where we know she has family. Since she's a child by most standards (16 years, for a Half Elf, is all but infancy). Note that this was all news to me/my character, who has his standards and certainly isn't a child molester.

We get ambushed on the road and my character has to go off to her rescue when she rides out of one fairly obvious trap and into another.

She proves to be good at hiding, which keeps her from getting killed.

We get to the Elven village to discover it's under attack. Orcs. We enter the scene and proceed to kick butt.

Her family isn't there at the moment, but in any case she isn't welcome there. Turns out she's an Assassin, and was banished. (Note that this is my character's home village, and he's been asked not to return either.)

So they thank us for our help, and then politely ask that we leave as soon as possible.

To make a long story short, we're stuck with her. Any attempt we make to lose her will result in her catching up, somehow, smiling, and pretending nothing happened.

I've seen this ploy before, from more than a few DMs, and the symptoms are clear and unmistakeable. She has an Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location, which is why no magic was detected. And she'll turn out to have whatever skills or feats she needs to be able to stick with us, no matter what we do.

Do your DMs ever pull this subtle-as-a-sledgehammer stunt?

S'mon

Legend
Tell the GM OOC that you would like rid of the NPC.

As a player I don't recall having a permanent tagalong NPC inflicted on me, and as GM I don't recall forcing players to accept an NPC/GMPC accompanying them, but it's certainly bad practice.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I've seen this ploy before, from more than a few DMs, and the symptoms are clear and unmistakeable. She has an Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location, which is why no magic was detected. And she'll turn out to have whatever skills or feats she needs to be able to stick with us, no matter what we do.

Never had that happen to me as a player. Closest I got as a DM was having a bard running away from the party spread nasty rumors ahead of them (he was eventually caught and punished appropriately).

If you're sure its the amulet, would the DM be the kind who would stop you from finding it if you were to do a thorough search of her person?

Crothian

First Post

Yes, and like you it was a female NPC. We would lose her but she'd end up being where we were going before us. It was annoying at first and we fought it. Till we made a discovery that lead to the eventually realization that the NPC was the grand daughter of one of the PCs and she traveled back in time to try to change our future. She knew where we were going because she had the journal of one the PCs (and in game his character kept a journal). In the end it turned out pretty awesome and we apologized to the DM for not trusting him more.

mlund

First Post
Well, the DM in the game I currently play knows better than that.

The Blades of Bar-Aleem make it very clear when someone is not invited to the party and if she tried to intrude again she'd wind up in a shallow grave with no questions asked. One of the perks of being hardened mercenaries a heart of brass is that when someone makes themselves to be an obvious nuisance the natural reaction is to give them a helping of abuse and a swift kick.

If someone is stupid enough to ignore being told off and then follow you around to the middle of nowhere while being less-than-subtle about being a potential existential threat - well that's what a shallow grave is for.

I mean, jeez. We were rescuing someone's kid from slavers the other day and he insisted on taking his lady-love out of the pits too and then he started running into combat to defend her and we just cut that off at the legs. Knocked him out so he couldn't get in any trouble. (Actually, I think we had to do that like 3 separate occasions. Thankfully the effects of cumulative concussions probably won't crop up for another 20 years or so ...)

When he came around we made it clear that he was our mission objective and the girl's salvation rested entirely on his behavior not being a detriment to our mission. I think we also may have implied that the Wizard had concocted some sort of enchantment that would cause her to die by spontaneous human combustion if they tried to run off together ...

What? We're extremely dangerous individuals capable of superhuman feats of might and magic - no one to be trifled with. He was a functional minion - every time he got hit he went down to dying and needed to be rescued. :p

But that's in-game handling of troublesome NPC barnacles.

It kind of sounds like your DM's got a railroad all lined up here. If you don't like it I suggest a direct-yet-diplomatic, "Dude, not interested," from you guys as players.

- Marty Lund

Blackbrrd

First Post
Convince the other PC's in character that she is an evil spy, knock her unconscious, remove all magical items and gear and use divination magics to confirm this. You obviously can't do this with a goody-two-shoes character, but for most characters this should be a doable approach.

If you still can't discern alignment or use any divination magic after removing all magical items you can start interrogating her. Still no good explanation? Kill the NPC.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's strange to me that this is such a big deal. In my games, if I want to lob in a specific NPC all I have to do is wait till the party goes recruiting for new characters to replace those who have died/retired/left for whatever reason. The players bring in their new PCs and I throw in an NPC if needed. Sometimes the NPCs are benign, other times not so much... >cackle<

Best story here comes from a game I played in: we didn't have a Cleric so we recruited an NPC from a town we were passing through. That night we got ambushed and the new recruit died. Next day we went back to the same town - "That one died. Can we have another one?" - and got run out on a rail!

Lan-"that was the first of many towns we got banned from on that trip, if memory serves"-efan

slobo777

First Post
IME, the DM has a bit of Underpants Gnomes' thinking going on;

a) a "cool idea" for an NPC (for some value of "cool")
b) ????
c) fun

The "tag along" part of this NPC has worn thin quickly for your group, as it probably is only a half-formed idea, and the DM is looking for some player reactions to firm up the plot. He's obviously not getting the message from your behaviour so far (so OOC player-to-DM discussion might be good if it really is annoying OOC). My best advice for him is to resolve things more with this character - she needs to do something other than tag along, so that the story progresses. That might be as simple as getting the message about rejection from the PCs (maybe turning up later on a little bitter about the bad relationship), or even revealing her hand as really some BBEG.

pemerton

Legend
Tell the GM OOC that you would like rid of the NPC.
Agreed that that's the most obvious course of action.

As a player I don't recall having a permanent tagalong NPC inflicted on me
For me it would run up a pretty big railroad flag!

as GM I don't recall forcing players to accept an NPC/GMPC accompanying them, but it's certainly bad practice.
I've had PCs recruit NPCs as cohorts - effectively they run them like classic D&D henchmen. I've had PCs fall in love with NPCs who then accompany them on missions - in that situation I generally run the NPC. And I've had PCs turn into NPCs as the player leaves the game for whatever reason, in which case the character becomes a shared "pool" character - sometimes the players' play him/her, sometimes I as GM play him/her.

But I've never foisted in NPC on the group in the way described. As you say, it's bad GMing.

Remove ads