The Dresden Files

S. Baldrick

Explorer
I have read all of them and I enjoyed all of them. This despite the fact that they are all written in first person, my least favoriate style of storytelling.
The Dresden Files have inspired more than one GURPs character in my friends modern fantasy/horror campaign.

CCamfield

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
I really enjoyed the first Dresden Files novel, and I have been unsuccesful in my half-hearted efforts to get a copy of the first Garret novel...

One option:

www.abebooks.com (used bookstore website for many many stores)

Search for "The Garrett files". It was a hardcover omnibus of the first 3 novels.

Some of the copies listed are quite expensive but there are others which are more reasonable.

CCamfield

First Post
Oh, and yeah, I'm also a big fan of the Dresden Files. I haven't read the one that most recently came out in hardcover, but everything up to that, I liked.

I think I somehow started with book 2, and then went back and read book 1. I think the first was weaker than the others.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
I have read up to book 7 and I have liked them all. In my opinion, I think they get better as they progress. Book 8 just came out and I need to run to the bookstore and pick it up :)

Can't wait for the SciFi series to come out this summer. Finally, something to fill the Buffy/Angel void-

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Mean Eyed Cat said:
I have read up to book 7 and I have liked them all. In my opinion, I think they get better as they progress. Book 8 just came out and I need to run to the bookstore and pick it up :)

Can't wait for the SciFi series to come out this summer. Finally, something to fill the Buffy/Angel void-

There's a SciFi series coming out on the Dresden series?!? Any place to get the details? Man, I hope they get the characters, plots, and atmosphere right.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Rl'Halsinor said:
There's a SciFi series coming out on the Dresden series?!? Any place to get the details? Man, I hope they get the characters, plots, and atmosphere right.

Butcher seems to think so; he seems pretty pleased with the guy they have playing Harry. There are some older articles on his website, but nothing recent.

eris404

Explorer
Wombat said:
Jim Butcher is a fun writer; I particularly liked Fool Moon in the series.

I have a feeling, though, that the series is beginning to spin out of control. The first 4 books were good, especially for essentially light summer reading, but the quality has been falling down recently as the whole series goes "epic". I think Harry works better as a smallscale character.

I agree 100%. I like the humor and the small scale cases best; to me, it works better when the stories/setting is a little more "ordinary," if you can call it that. These are really fun reads and have some very cool little tidbits that would be great to use in a game, things like how Harry makes potions or the Wizards Council.

TwistedBishop

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Butcher seems to think so; he seems pretty pleased with the guy they have playing Harry. There are some older articles on his website, but nothing recent.

I can't get past the disappointment of James Marsters not playing Dresden.

Remove ads