The Druid/Ranger: Stealthy Archer

schnee

First Post
This is a character I'm currently playing, and as a mental exercise, I'm seeing what it would look like if I did a bit of multiclassing, and we made it to level 20.

The concept: A primary caster, from a culture that values independence and self-sufficiency above all. He's so intent on that, he's willing to divert his focus away from becoming an Archdruid to become physically more in touch with the land.

I rolled *really well* for stats, so this is intentionally feat-heavy.

Starting character:
Wood Elf Druid, Circle of the Mountain, Outlander
STR 11 • DEX 16 • CON 16 • INT 13 • WIS 17 • CHA 12
Skills: Nature, Survival, Perception, Insight, Athletics
Cantrips: Produce Flame, Guidance, Shillelagh

Druid 1-5
- Feat (4): Resilient CON+1
- Cantrip: Druidcraft

UA Ranger 1
- Skill: Stealth, Enemy: Undead, Natural Explorer

Druid 7-11
- Feat (8): WIS +1, CON +1
- Cantrip: Mending

UA Ranger 2
- Fighting Style: Archery +2
- Ranger 1st level spells

Druid 12-18
- Feat (12): Sharpshooter
- Feat (16): TBD
- Capstone: Cast in Wild Shape, Timeless Body

So, early on he gives up one level of spellcasting progression to become extremely capable in the outdoors without spending spell slots. He can also forage food for 10 people every day (Outlander / Ranger synergy), guide the party unerringly, and predict the weather at will. Flavorful as hell.

I'll take my main caster stats to 18. That should be enough.

The second level of Ranger hurts spellcasting, but since it counts as 1 level for Multiclass Spellcaster Slots, it's mitigated somewhat. But, it signals the transition from Survivalist Druid to Incredibly Dangerous Stealthy Archer.

Archery fighting style and Ranger spells give me huge damage output. Next level I get Sharpshooter to complete the package. (Archery from Stealth = Advantage on the attack, -5 to hit / +10 damage, Hail of Thorns or Ensnaring Strike pumped to higher levels.) That gives me a lot of power in the one 'weakness' in the Druid tool kit: single-round, single-target damage. I mean, sure, Firestorm, but that's overkill sometimes, and would be a terrible choice in a lush forest.

At 20th level, my Capstone Druid ability becomes 'cast spells in Wild Shape'.

With Timeless Body at 20th level also, my 16th level Druid feat becomes an interesting choice. Choose Skulker as a capstone on his ability to disappear into the natural environment? Ritual Caster: Wizard to signal a growing magical bond with the Feywild? Skilled: Arcana, Religion, and History to embrace the world beyond the forest? Keen Mind, so even when he is deep in the mountains of his chosen Circle his sense of time and place are absolutely innate? It depends if we even get there as a campaign.

So... thoughts?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
It's... quite bad, I'm afraid.

You've only got 1st level Ranger spells That's not going to be enough to mitigate not having Extra Attack.
Meanwhile you're delaying your Druid features for a subset you're never really going to be good at, unless you sink even more levels into Ranger, and thus away from Druid.

Remove ads