D&D 5E The Dwimmermount [OOC]

TallIan

Explorer
Magen already had a mule. I was trying to avoid buying a cart as I'm not sure it'll do well in a forest.

My thoughts were to set up a base camp and explore a bit then move camp, rinse and repeat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SunGold

First Post
Would you be leaving your retainers in camp? I'm not sure about leaving a camp unattended. Sounds like there are sketchy people about. :\

We could still do that with the mule and cart, though. Since there are multiple forests sepatated by hilly grasslands, perhaps we could leave the mule/cart/camp/retainers in the grasslands, returning at night? Still might be unsafe for them though.

TallIan

Explorer
Would you be leaving your retainers in camp? I'm not sure about leaving a camp unattended. Sounds like there are sketchy people about. :\

We could still do that with the mule and cart, though. Since there are multiple forests sepatated by hilly grasslands, perhaps we could leave the mule/cart/camp/retainers in the grasslands, returning at night? Still might be unsafe for them though.

That was the plan, but it is dependant on what GreenKarl says about the dangers of the locale (ie would someone who went camping be expected to return or is that just too dangerous?) and what the deal with hirelings is? Maintaining a camp sounds like the perfect use for retainers to me, but that depends on the setting. The "won't follow you into obviously dangerous situations" rule is very restrictive but equally very important to prevent abuse.

We could just not take the carts into the forest, yes. This leaves us with a similar problem of unguarded camps. I was thinking that pack mules, while less able to carry stuff, would offer much better mobility - we DO have to cross a river. I was thinking that we would need; tents and rations for everyone, feed for the animals, some sacks, water barrels and a 10 foot pole of coarse. Not done the maths for weights etc.

On another note, can we use the downtime activities rules from the DMG?

GreenKarl

First Post
Hmm you are not really sure how danger to lands to the south are BUT if the Count of the city is paying a lot of money and no one seems to be willing it could be safe to assume that it is unsafe. Generally though, if you are not in the woods you can be fairly confident that the plains themselves will be fairly safe for the retainers. Night time is a WHOLE-nother ballgame. If you set up camps and return every night there is still a small change of trouble for the camp but I am not going to be overly harsh about them. I like the idea of having them after all :)

SunGold

First Post
I was thinking that pack mules, while less able to carry stuff, would offer much better mobility - we DO have to cross a river.

Moving forward you see about ten small village hunts and a couple of barns ahead, build near a large stone bridge that crosses the Moktone River...

You're right about the cart in the forest, but there's a bridge over the river. That's why we're going back through the half-orc village.

eayres33

Explorer
I'm kind of liking the camp in the fields at night explore the forest by day. Hunter is a little limited in the amount of gear he can carry so a cart may be a good idea.

SunGold

First Post
I'm fine with whatever you guys want to do.

Just to clarify, though: would it be possible to take the carts into the forest, GreenKarl?

Remove ads