The Ecology Of The Chuul (unpublished 3.0 version)

Richards

Legend
Originally posted by Mortepierre:
I much prefer the 'fiction & footnotes' type of Ecology article because that's how they appeared in the old (1E & 2E) issues of Dragon and that's what got me hooked to it.
Likewise. One of the first Dragon issues I ever bought had Spike Y. Jones' "The Ecology of the Manticore," and I thought "What a great way to pass on information about D&D monsters!" I purchased a subscription soon after, and before long was submitting my own "Ecology" articles to Dragon.

Now, I have the odd (but cool, in my mind) distinction of being the guy with the most published "Ecology" articles ever. (Ed Greenwood's only a few behind me, although since neither of us are contributing new articles any more, the record will probably stand as it is for quite some time.)

Johnathan

Greylock

First Post
Richards said:
...The little illusionist looked back at the underground pool, with its dead chuul and its flowing stream, and screamed out "SHANNY!" in a pain-torn voice.

The name reverberated throughout the cavern, but there was no response.

Shandrilla was gone.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! :eek:

Good story, Richards. Any chance we can see more of them? Pretty please?

[Edit: OK. Now I see the Ecology of the Grick. Wasn't paying attention. Keep 'em coming, man. Good stuff.]

Last edited:

WmRAllen67

First Post
Mother of Mercy, is this the end of Shandrilla?

Here's my vote for bringing back the "fiction and footnote" ecology articles, if only here on ENWorld (or, perhaps, over at the Creature Catalog?)...

I will say that I prefer your take on the chuul over Dragon's recent version-- I feel that "the mad scientist wizard making aberrations" tends to be an overused backstory.

So, what's next? Hmmm? What happens to Shandrilla downstream in the Underdark? Inquiring minds, as they say...

Richards

Legend
Originally posted by WmRAllen67:
So, what's next? Hmmm? What happens to Shandrilla downstream in the Underdark? Inquiring minds, as they say...
Actually, that story has already been written, submitted, and rejected...it was one of the batch that got bulk-rejected when the decision was made to drop the "fiction and footnote" format. How about I convert it over to easily-read chunks of Story Hour-sized posts, and start a new thread sometime in the next week?

Johnathan

Remove ads