The edition wars have hit a new low

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Not in the slightest. Agree with me or not, that's your right. But I stand by my feelings on the matter. (And it's not just the burning, but the making a spectacle of it.)

I AM curious, if it's such a non-issue to you, why do you feel the need to argue over it? You may feel that it's silly for me to react this way, but you're expending just as much energy on something you feel doesn't matter. I'm not being snide here; I'm honestly curious. What do you get out of it?

this thread, and others like it, are already spreading like wildfire in the internet. And the reactions of some, equating this on the same level as historical book burnings, gives gamers a much worse reputation than what Bryce is doing. Nothing like a giant lack of perspective to quell stereotypes of gamers being overreactionary
Also burning these books is disrespectful of the people who worked literally hundreds of hours making them. This isn't even just not liking the books, it's making sure others don't even get to experience it. It takes it a step further than just dismissing the author's work, it's actively destroying part of their life. I mean, the artists, the rules designers, the workers that printed all of this. Yeah it's a big deal, it's messed up completely. Why not donate them to children who have never had the chance to play a game like this? It's disgusting.

and here we have more of that overreaction. I highly doubt the designers of 4e are offended by this. They probably think he's dumb, but I doubt they feel personally disrespected. When people buy my games, I don't care what the do with it because they bought it. They can do whatever the want with it. And stop with the implication that poor children will never experience 4e because of this. These books are everywhere, and easy to acquire. Why haven't you donated every book you ever read? How many books and magazines have you had that either just sit there on the shelf, or you've thrown away/recycled? Why haven't you donated those to the children? Does that make you disgusting by your own logic?

I take any burning of books personally, unless it's done for reasons of survival. (I.e. not freezing to death.) Nothing to do with edition wars or D&D at all. There has never, in the history of literacy, been any good reason for doing so, and it's not something decent people do casually.

And I very deliberately use "good" because I'm speaking in a moral sense.

(Putting pics online of what one is doing, BTW, is the very definition of inviting commentary. So no, I don't think it's "sad" for anyone to comment or object, for any reason.)
QFT.

Evenglare

Adventurer
They can do whatever the want with it. And stop with the implication that poor children will never experience 4e because of this. These books are everywhere, and easy to acquire. Why haven't you donated every book you ever read? How many books and magazines have you had that either just sit there on the shelf, or you've thrown away/recycled? Why haven't you donated those to the children? Does that make you disgusting by your own logic?

Why don't I donate every book I have ever read? Because I cherish my books and my library. How many books and magazines just sit on the shelf or I have thrown away? Very few, I don't buy magazines because I will throw them away and I am not wasteful. As for other books? Well when I'm not reading they sit on the shelf because they are books, that's what they do. I certainly don't burn them, and if I ever did want to get rid of them I would donate them. I'm sorry you don't feel connected with your books, it's something I don't ever want to experience. I love books, and you need to realize other people actually are connected with the printed word. So no I'm not disgusted because I have never - ever - burned a book. Where does your logic come from. How does the fact that I am disgusted by book burning in ANY WAY equate to me being disgusted with my cherished books that are sitting on my shelf because I'm not currently reading them. You are simply going to have to learn to deal with the fact that many of us think book burning is awful. I get the fact that you don't care and that's OK, you can believe anything you want, but that in no way influences my beliefs.

Obviously burning these books is, in itself, a non-issue. They belonged to these people and they had the right to do whatever they liked with them. Reactions like, "This disgusts me," and, "These people are as bad as the Nazis!" are hyperbolic and unhelpful, and should be treated as such.

That said, the actions of these 4E book-burners are in poor taste, and many people here are having visceral reactions to it. Book burning itself evokes unpleasant events of history, and the implications of destroying information shouldn't be taken lightly. Deliberately destroying any creative work can be seen as an insult to both its fans and its creators, especially in a small, divided community like this one. Fans and new players could yet have used and enjoyed those books, but that potential was squandered too. Proudly posting images compounds the burners' complicity, because it emphasizes that this was done deliberately and without regret or remorse.

Tovec

Explorer
I'd like to posit the idea that while perfectly legal, it does hurt you, indirectly, because it makes D&D fans look like the kind of people who burn books that they don't agree with rather than face the ideas in them. It puts fans of the game in the position of censors and morality police who deem certain books unworthy of even existing. Imagine being a 4e fan in that community...or even being just an RPG fan, knowing that the opposition is strong enough to want to obliterate whatever texts they could get their hands on. Imagine trying to have the idea that this is "just a game" and that "it's not that serious" and "everyone likes different things" in the context of a group of people who cannot abide different things.
That is just it. It isn't an attempt to "obliterate whatever texts they could get their hands on." No one is coming for your books. No one is saying that ALL 4e is bad. It is one person burning their OWN set of books. That is why it is not illegal, because it is not wrong. It is not bad. I think it is probably in poor taste to try and enrage others, if doing it solely for that purpose. I don't see that as the case here. I suspect that the person burning the books is doing that because they want to. If there were no cameras they might still do the exact same thing and you would never know. It isn't "obliteration" of the media in any sense. It is destruction of private property. That is pure and simple legal. More than that, that is pure and simple NOT WRONG to do. It isn't a moral choice at all. Moral choices affect other people, destroying one's own property isn't a moral choice.

It's legal, and it's small scale, but it's harmful to their community directly and to gamers in general via network effects. They're allowed to be dumb as stumps, yes, but part of the reason this is dumb as stumps is because burning a book, regardless of stated intent, is trucking in the symbols and methodology of various self-proclaimed authoritarian purity police throughout history who must guard the tribe's boundaries against any taboo material, and I figure most gamers are much better than that reactionary tribalism that forbids outsider material to even exist.
To say this attaches a whole lot of extra baggage to something that is a fairly simple act. Let me bring up that example I gave last time of the neighbours with a wood-chipper and a table they want to destroy. There is no social action that says doing so is wrong. It doesn't harm the carpentry community, nor the table-enthusiasts. It is arguably dumb since somebody else could probably use a table that is otherwise perfectly fine. But it doesn't affect me that my neighbours want to destroy a wooden table just because they want to. Why does it suddenly harm the whole RPG community to see someone burn their copy of a PHB? If they used some spray paint, brstleboard, glue and glitter, turning it into "art" would it have been better? Worse? Why? This person got a positive effect out of destruction of THEIR OWN property, my rights and "moral implications" stop when I am unaffected - which I am.

It hurts you like graffitti on someone else's wall hurts you, like a mugging a few blocks away hurts you, like a KKK meeting-house down the street hurts you. Regardless of the legality of it, it changes the tone of the smallish D&D neighborhood to allow stuff like that to go with just a shrug and "folks can be dumb." Because other dumb folks see those dumb folks, and eventually, it's doofuses as far as the eye can see, who all imagine that their being dumb must be acceptable since no one is telling them they're wrong.

So I feel confident telling them that they were wrong to do this. Within their legal rights, but wrong, in a way that makes the world a little bit of a worse place for everyone who likes imaginary elf games.
Yeah, no those examples aren't really comparable either. (Graffiti isn't by itself harmful either so goodluck with that.) It isn't bringing down the whole community. Your examples relate more to 'letting those undesirables move in down the street is hurting my resale value'. Even so, those people down the street could be painting their walls a terrible shade of red (paint, not blood) that I find perfectly awful. That is their choice, it is not a moral choice, it is a fashion choice. More than having "every [legal] right" they have every MORAL right to do so because its none of my darn business what colour they paint their wall, or what they do with their own property. Heck, even if they took a jackhammer to the walls it is still none of my business. A terrible idea as far as insulation goes, but none of my business. I am not harmed in them doing so in ANY way.

That said, the actions of these 4E book-burners are in poor taste, and many people here are having visceral reactions to it. Book burning itself evokes unpleasant events of history, and the implications of destroying information shouldn't be taken lightly. Deliberately destroying any creative work can be seen as an insult to both its fans and its creators, especially in a small, divided community like this one. Fans and new players could yet have used and enjoyed those books, but that potential was squandered too. Proudly posting images compounds the burners' complicity, because it emphasizes that this was done deliberately and without regret or remorse.
Yeah, but simply being bad taste doesn't make it wrong. Maybe this owner thought that the product was so terrible that he didn't want to "inflict" it upon others. At that point he can A. sell/donate it (inflicting it on others), B. keep it (a product he dislikes), C. burn it (which he did), D. ????? I don't even have an option D. To someone who owns the product, who spent money on it and is fully the owner of that object and, has no interest in selling/donating it, what option is there? Keeping it forever is the only one I see - that strikes me as a very silly assumption.

Now, yes they could have sold/given it away. No question there. But they're under no responsibility to do so.

(Sorry doctorhook, your quote just gave me a lot to reply to but I don't disagree with you thought it seems that way.)

Boy howdy, you guys are right, the people who enjoy 4e are the real edition warriors and there's obviously equally crazy behavior from all parties.

...wait, this wasn't 4e edition warriors burning books? This was non-4e edition warriors burning 4e books? Oh. Never mind.

No, it's just a bunch of terrible nerds being terrible about elfgames. It's pretty much par for the course.
It is comments like this that are unhelpful. Burning the 4e books isn't a edition war starter all by itself. There is an implied preference for something else, but not a "4e bad, X good" which is usually needed for edition wars.

Obryn

Hero
It is comments like this that are unhelpful. Burning the 4e books isn't a edition war starter all by itself. There is an implied preference for something else, but not a "4e bad, X good" which is usually needed for edition wars.
Come on now. Pull the other one.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I'd like to posit the idea that while perfectly legal, it does hurt you, indirectly, because it makes D&D fans look like the kind of people who burn books that they don't agree with rather than face the ideas in them. (snip)
I don't think their actions made D&D fans look like the kind of people who burn books rather than face ideas. That's an over-the-top, hysterical interpretation of what they did. I think their actions made D&D fans look like the kind of people who have excessively strong opinions about the game, and who sometimes express their opinions in a dumb, juvenile fashion.

Our disagreement is one of degree: you compare their actions to graffiti and KKK meetings, whereas I would compare their actions to an unsightly fedora wearer picking his nose in the corner of the FLGS. (No offense to all you fedora fashionistos out there.)

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Also burning these books is disrespectful of the people who worked literally hundreds of hours making them. This isn't even just not liking the books, it's making sure others don't even get to experience it. It takes it a step further than just dismissing the author's work, it's actively destroying part of their life.
As someone who has written three books, I completely agree with this. When you put you hard work, your creativity, your soul on paper, and someone maliciously destroys it, yeah. I'm more than willing to admit that I'm thin-skinned enough to feel a little upset by it.

It's bad enough when there's some criticism, though I appreciate it if it's constructive. But to have someone take something that you've cared about for months or years, that you've put hundreds of hours into, that you've willingly shared with others to increase their enjoyment, and then have them destroy your work as a show? To take something you've been dedicated to creating, and to obliterate it because it's that terrible?

That's upsetting. I'm a pretty chill guy, and I can (and do) dismiss many negative opinions people have of my life and my views. But that's such a malicious act that it would definitely get under my skin, even if I dismissed those idiots as idiots.

All the WotC designers must have some pretty thick skin by now, because they've all had shots taken at them, but it's definitely different thinking about a group of people getting together to burn my work and creativity and soul simply because they all hate it that much.

I don't feel like the group that did this is bad people, but I think what they've done is incredibly inconsiderate. I really hope that they understand that, some day. We're all people. While I can handle being upset (because there's no avoiding it sometimes in life) and move on, why should I think it's okay for me to purposefully upset others in such a malicious way? Is just throwing the books out that unthinkable? I must completely disregard the feelings of other living, breathing humans (yes, with emotions) because I hate it that much?

That's what kills me about this. It's the humans that just don't care about how other humans feel. That's sad. And I hope it changes.

Chaltab

Explorer
I don't get the moral outrage but I do think it's just... quite pathetic, really. And symptomatic of a much broader problem that we nerds tend to have a really skewed sense of proportion, when a version of a game makes people so upset, especially those the one who said they bought a copy just to burn it. Priorities, what are those?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Boy howdy, you guys are right, the people who enjoy 4e are the real edition warriors and there's obviously equally crazy behavior from all parties.

...wait, this wasn't 4e edition warriors burning books? This was non-4e edition warriors burning 4e books? Oh. Never mind.

We got more pages in than I expected before the inevitable bash at 4e critics being deranged came up.

Honestly, everyone, burning the books is kind of a punk act but is it really worse than saying "I threw them in the recycle bin"? From the point of view of the book owner, it's no less final once the sanitation workers have come by to pick up the recycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads