The edition wars have hit a new low

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm not a fan of 4E at all. But burning books? Even 4E books? That just reeks of attention seeking, self-aggrandizing stupidity. WITH A CAPITAL S.

At best I'm putting my 4E gift set (still in near pristine condition) up on Craig's List.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
What about tacky, wasteful (a couple of the books in that collection were in legitimate demand) and a little mean-spirited? (snip)
Don't disagree except for maybe mean-spirited.

Personally I feel about this the same way I would feel if it had been organized by Pat Robertson: it's as dumb as stumps, but the applicable property laws are very clear and his bonfire isn't hurting me any.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I'm too cheap to burn mine. I will try and sell most of them at some point.

I can't imagine buying new books just to burn. I guess if they were all of one mind on the game they might burn their old books as kind of a party devoted to 4e haters kind of activity.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The real tragedy is that some people are so caught up in the edition wars that they take what [MENTION=6688546]bryce0lynch[/MENTION] does with his personal property, personally.

Any time folks spit on what you love, you're apt to take it personally. Because spitting on things is *intended* to be personal.

It is fine to do performance art. But one must understand the tropes you're playing with, and choose wisely. He seems to have failed on one or the other. People who do real book burning... they aren't generally nice, good folks you want to be around. The term "extremist whackjobs" would not be entirely off.

Now, if he wants to *ally* himself with such sentiments, over a way to pretend to be elves, that's his choice. But he reaps what he sows.

Edit:
My wife adds this sentiment: Sure, it is his right, if he owns the books. But, even given that, this might be the dumbest thing she's heard all week. And she works in a profession where people mistakenly shove antibiotics up their dog's rear end, because they cannot be bothered to read the label on the medicine bottle.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't know what's more ridiculous. Him burning books or the reaction of some people to his burning books. You'd think he burned the Qur'an or Bible or something.

This whole thing is such a non issue

Qu'ran, Bible, Player's Handbook, or See Spot Run, makes no difference. Book burning has, and will always have, very powerful personal, cultural, and historical meaning. Nothing happens in a vacuum, and some things are always inappropriate.

Does he have the "right"? Sure. Nobody's talking legal consequences. And we have just as much right--and even, I would argue, a moral obligation, no matter how overdramatic you may personally find it--to speak up about our reactions to the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads