D&D 5E The Elementalists (FULL)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I'm from the ocean floor, at least that's where I stayed for the last six years. I'm not even certain I got ashore on the same continent where I lived before that.

Oh, and being European, I as a player don't know much about American geography. I kind of like it if my character hails from across the seas. :)

tglassy

Adventurer
Wonderful! I figured there are plenty of maps on Google, and while I've created my own maps before, using North America (not just United States, but Canada and Mexico as well as the gulf and surrounding waters) makes things easier on me.

JustinCase, that's perfectly fine. Since this is set in a time period similar to the early 1800's, much of the world has at least been explored and mapped. There are still wild places everywhere, as not everything's been settled, and roads are few and far between, and typically only between close cities and towns. Tribes of goblins, orcs, as well as elves and whatnot still hold claim to various lands, though multiracial nations are rising, seeing cooperation as being key to survival.

Regardless of nationality, the Academy is present in almost every nation across the globe. It's like the Church that way. They're everywhere, so everyone knows about them and knows not to underestimate them.

As for the island, Azurewraith, what about the Bahamas, or Cuba? Hawaii's a little far away.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Wonderful! I figured there are plenty of maps on Google, and while I've created my own maps before, using North America (not just United States, but Canada and Mexico as well as the gulf and surrounding waters) makes things easier on me.

JustinCase, that's perfectly fine. Since this is set in a time period similar to the early 1800's, much of the world has at least been explored and mapped. There are still wild places everywhere, as not everything's been settled, and roads are few and far between, and typically only between close cities and towns. Tribes of goblins, orcs, as well as elves and whatnot still hold claim to various lands, though multiracial nations are rising, seeing cooperation as being key to survival.

Regardless of nationality, the Academy is present in almost every nation across the globe. It's like the Church that way. They're everywhere, so everyone knows about them and knows not to underestimate them.

As for the island, Azurewraith, what about the Bahamas, or Cuba? Hawaii's a little far away.
What ever fits Hawaii was the only one I could name I'll shoot you some info bout the nation at some point

tglassy

Adventurer
I suppose instead of saying "North American" geography, I should just say "Earth's" geography. The continent of Elindil is just North America.

Greenmtn

Explorer

There are also a ton of Islands off the coast in the North east since we have one from the Montreal area.

A quick look on Google and it seems that area also has some Chasm's and Gorges (Ausable, Pine Creek, to a lesser extent Quechee etc) or the cliff face of Camels hump, that could fit my high cliff home vision for my tribe.

tglassy

Adventurer
I'm often surprised more people don't do it this way. People go through all the trouble of creating their own continent, or even whole world, which usually winds up being a much, much smaller planet, when we have a ginormous earth right at out disposal, complete with maps and ready made weather patterns. Y'all want to go to the east coast? Great! That's 800 miles from where you are. And there are mountains in the way. Good luck@

Azurewraith

Explorer
I'm often surprised more people don't do it this way. People go through all the trouble of creating their own continent, or even whole world, which usually winds up being a much, much smaller planet, when we have a ginormous earth right at out disposal, complete with maps and ready made weather patterns. Y'all want to go to the east coast? Great! That's 800 miles from where you are. And there are mountains in the way. Good luck@
I just make it up as I go lol

Steve Gorak

Adventurer

I once ran a campaign, and I took europe, flipped it around, and only gave the players a tiny bit of a map. They never figured it out ;-)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I'm thinking about taking an old map of my country and turning it 90 degrees, with of course other names but towns where modern cities are, woods where there used to be Woods, etc. Plenty of opportunities to make a "what if" world that seems familiar but isn't.

tglassy

Adventurer
I'm getting y'all's hooks done. We're going to be in a city called Albion, and it is located near modern day Houston. It is a multicultural hub of intellectual pursuit, and is considered by many to be the center of the Industrial Age that is currently developing. It is a rather large city, and has some of the few railroads that lead to some other cities in the area. You may not stay in this city very long, but there's a reason it's where you start.

At the beginning, it's going to be rather straightforward. Perhaps just a little railroading. Once we get in to it a bit, I'll try to open it up for you to be a little more sandboxy. Once it opens up, you'll be able to go all over the place. I'm going to leave a lot of it up to you. Want to buy a ship and sail the world? Great! Want to travel via railroad? Great! Want to set up shop and take over a town? Cool! But keep in mind, whatever the Crisis is will continue to get worse and worse until it's taken care of. You have been warned.

Remove ads