• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Elements of Magic - Teaser and Sampler (now with Illusion and Transform)

Verequus

First Post
I'd like to see teasers of Create, Move, Transform, Divination, Scry and Spellcraft, but Transform is my favorite.

Regarding the fan spell compilation: I discovered that not for every effect an enhancement exists (e.g. soul transference of Magic Jar), but I don't know if all effects can be created through the combining of other effects and a slight interpretation. Maybe new enhancements are necessary?

mbgrove, your system is very similiar to what I'm doing in my own game, and it's why I really love EoM.. While it does get complex, It gives such flexibility, such ability.. I truely love the way it works..

I'd love to see your system, or know more about why it didn't work. The way we do it has people rolling for spells, so they try a powerful spell, putting themselves at risk, or a lowerlevel spell more easily.

EoM is the best system I have seen for doing Magic for D20, and from what this thread is showing, V2 looks to be improving on it.. Just so it's known, I want it to be LESS like the Standard D20 game.. I like being able to modify it to run easily in a low magic game. I want there to be fewer spells than in the original EoM, more verastile, with the ability to know certain ones by heart.. Basically, exactly what it looks like EoM2 will be.

Colin "Flexibility without complexity can happen!"

EDIT- As pointed out below, this post originally referred to the RuleMaster, rather than mbgrove. Please forgive the mistake.

Last edited:

Verequus

First Post
My system? I don't know where I ever said anything about an own system. Looking through the thread I see only one post which matches your description - the one from mbgrove.

mbgrove

First Post
Wow. I had this really nice reply that I'd worked on over the weekend, and went to post it today. Unfortunately, it was all lost when it said that it didn't want to post and forced me to log on again. GRRRR!!!!

It was longish anyway, so I'll shorten it (and copy it before I click on Submit Reply!). ::wry smile::

The short answer to why my Spell-Weaver magic system failed was because of /too/ much flexibility. I tried to make the system also have the /feel/ of what you read in fantasy novels. (In DnD, a spell-caster is always safe casting a spell because it is a spell he can normally cast. There is no danger of over-casting because it's simply not allowed, unlike what you read in fantasy.)

The combination of extreme flexibilty and the having balance it all just made it all too complex. Hence, the reason for my original post warning the wonderful writers that gave us EoM and, sometime soon hopefully, EoM2, to keep from having the same problems. Interestingly enough, being a programmer now, I wouldn't have any problems whipping up a program for it. :)

So... if anyone wants a copy of the Spell-Weaver Magic System for curiosity, ideas or whatever reason, just send me an email at mbgrove@hotmail.com.

keynup

Explorer
Is the revised EoM finished and out? It sounds very cool :cool: , but if the newer one is almost done, I'd rather wait (but I don't think that I could last very long).

Just to keep tabs, the revised Elements of Magic is not yet released, though right now it's mostly waiting in a queue to be laid out; we always have one or two books in layout at any given time, and once our layout folks are free, we should be right to work on EOMrevised. As I mentioned several times before, I have trouble getting online, so I haven't been able to put up too many teasers, but I'll see if I can't show you something more this week. ;)

Also, if you've commented on this thread with suggestions, or if you've looked over a rough draft and given feedback to me through email, please post on this thread and give your real name, so I can include you in playtest credits. It'd be easier if I don't have to track people down. :)

Remove ads