• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The End of Starting Gold

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Like the juxtaposition?

I was just looking at my equipment table, noticing how the requirements for handling a weapon get greater as the weapon gets bigger. Tiny weapon - low damage, but easy to handle, palm, or hide. Huge weapon - high damage, but requires two arms and a body brace to wield.

This balancing between usefulness and consequences can extend to more than just weapons.

More protective armor is heavier armor. A bigger machine gun requires more manpower to properly crew. A higher-tech device is more easily spotted by its magnetic signature. Perhaps most important is the cost: the more valuable your gear, the more other people want (to steal) it.

So what do you think? Can we throw out starting gold (to borrow a D&D term) rules?

- or -

How long ago did you throw out starting gold rules?

ccs

41st lv DM
The only time I haven't used starting gold rules was here in the current 5e game im running. You started with whatever gear your class/background provided.

I don't envision using that option very often in the future.

greyauthor

Explorer
The only time I haven't used starting gold rules was here in the current 5e game im running. You started with whatever gear your class/background provided.

I don't envision using that option very often in the future.

I'm confused about 5E, you get starting equipment and also starting gold from your background. THEN you get a starting gold table following that. I've had to strike the third option from my game because players were using it as well.

I'm confused about 5E, you get starting equipment and also starting gold from your background. THEN you get a starting gold table following that. I've had to strike the third option from my game because players were using it as well.

I don't think you get the third option if you take the starting equipment from your class and back ground. You only get one or the other.

I like the idea of starting gold in some settings and giving the players what they need in others. Like L5R kind of mixes it as well. You get some starting equipment from the school you pick and some starting cash. Usually you keep the cash unless you want extra stuff during character creation. There is a game can't remember what it is but depending on your skills you got stuff from it. Might be Kuro not sure....

Edit: Looked at Kuro it says players should get things related to their job... So sort of what skills you take lol...

Last edited:

SuperZero

First Post

?
Did you look at the description of the table?
"When you create your character, you receive equipment based on a combination of your class and background. Alternatively, you can start with a number of gold pieces based on your class and spend them on items from the list in this chapter."

ccs

41st lv DM

Reading the PHB, page 143, 1st column, 3rd paragraph will solve your confusion.

steenan

Adventurer
Last time I've seen starting gold was in a Pathfinder game, 4 or 5 years ago.

Nowadays, we play Urban Shadows, Exalted, Nobilis and various Fate-based games. No "starting gold" (or equivalent) in any of them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ashen Stars gets away from the idea of small purchases whatsoever. Basic equipment is assumed. Only specialized equipment, cybernetic implants, and notable ship upgrades are a concern. And what resources are available to start are given as a pool for the team overall, rather than on a per-character basis. The team may just dole it out in equal shares, or unequal shares, or manage it all as a group, as they prefer.

Last edited:

greyauthor

Explorer
?
Did you look at the description of the table?
"When you create your character, you receive equipment based on a combination of your class and background. Alternatively, you can start with a number of gold pieces based on your class and spend them on items from the list in this chapter."

Apparently there was a single word in that description I didn't read. Well, then that makes more sense.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Last time I've seen starting gold was in a Pathfinder game, 4 or 5 years ago.

Nowadays, we play Urban Shadows, Exalted, Nobilis and various Fate-based games. No "starting gold" (or equivalent) in any of them.

So we're just waiting for Pathfinding Dragons to get on board?

The team-based resources that Umbran mentioned are a cool idea: sure, your character can be rich-as-Scrooge, but that means Galstaff over there will be destitute. Or perhaps you'd like to actually work together with your team? :lol:

I see some pretty heartbroken players under the everything-balances plan though. Someone will want to have gear that's way beyond his status, and when the royal tax-collection cadre marches in and takes most of it, that player might not show up to the next session.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads