• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Enemy Within: Shadows Over Bögenhafen

FourMonos

First Post
It's a good thing it is so dark in the room, otherwise the deep red color that overtook Garold's face would have been apparent to everyone.

He looks about the room looking for any signs of other entrances.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Aaryn has time to determine that the circle forms part of a warding ritual, designed in this case to keep something in rather than out. The words "Ordo Septinarius" mean nothing to anyone, other than the evident fact that it refers to an "Order of Seven", whatever that may be.

But before any further exploration can occur, the darkness insidet he circle seems to flow together and coalesce into a roughly man-shaped figure, except 8 ft. tall with wings and claws, and no face. Its skin is night-black and shiny, and seems to shift as if other things are writhing around beneath it. The aura of wrongness about it is almost palpable.

"Leave This Place!" it intones in a sepulchral voice.

[sblock=OOC]
Fearsome Presence attack on all present, succeeds against Aaryn, Gorim and Kildrak but fails against Garold.

Aaryn, Gorim and Kildrak are currently at -2 to attacks and defences (save ends), and also gain 1 insanity point. More on these later. This is a Fear effect, so let me know if any of you have defences against such things and I'll recalculate.
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"There is nothing we can do here. We'll mark the door and return to the city to report. Having some kind of demon bound in the sewers is not really good to have. Imagine the havoc it would wreck above."

FourMonos

First Post
Garold raises his shield and sword and puts himself at the edge of the circle, trying to place himself between the demonic creature and his comrades.

"Begone foul fiend!"

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: What is the duration of the penalties?
Aaryn wields his orb in his hands and cries, "You're the one who is going to leave! No one can stand against the ancient elven magics!"
OOC: Going to initiative I assume.
Minor: Draw orb of imposition
Standard: Cast icy terrain on the demon in the circle (target knocked prone if hit, area is difficult terrain until end of Aaryn's next turn)
Reaction: If Aaryn is hit by an attack, he casts Shield.
I am assuming I use Arcana to identify the creature. If its Religion, the modifier is +11 for a total of 24.

Walking Dad

First Post
Gorim Grimmson

"Let's hope you didn't just broke the warding and doomed us all..." Gorim says to the elf and readies his hammer.

[sblock=OOC]

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Gorim Grimmson
Perception: 13 Insight: 13 Low-light Vision
AC 18 Fortitude 17 Reflex 12 Will 13
Initiative: +2
Hit Points: 37 / 37 Bloodied: 18
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist:
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:9 Surges per day: 12 / 12
At-Will Powers: Brash Strike, Cleave
Encounter Powers: Dwarven Resilience, Hack and Hew, Boundless Endurance
Daily Powers: Driving Attack

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Really elf, for a race that has a reputation for consideration and intelligence, you're very rash. I've seen humans in taverns that give more thought to their actions. No help for it now. Focus everyone, let's get this demon out of here!"

Kildrak waits to see what the demon will do.
OOC: total defense

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: No time to update at the moment, but just a quick note. I realised that the cosmology of the WH world is slightly different from the standard D&D setting; however I'd go with Arcana for identifying demons, maybe Religion if they are particularly tied to a cult. More later.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Aaryn's magic strikes the demon and knocks it off its feet. It carefully stands up, with a leering grin appearing on its otherwise featureles face, then it vanishes into a puff of shadow, suddenly reappearing before Garold in a hazy, shadowy form.

[sblock=OOC]
Garold and Kildrak on total defence.

Aaryn's icy terrain hits - the pale blue circle is the icy patch it leaves.

Gorim - holding action.

A save ends the ongoing fear effect.

Note that space is fairly tight in the cellar - we can assume that Aaryn and Garold haven't crossed the magic circle, even though their "square" cuts through it.

The small rectangle with a triangle below it to the top right of the map is the cupboard mentioned earlier.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Aaryn]
Aaryn surmises that this is some kind of guardian demon - a fairly heterogenous group as demons tend to be, so guessing exact powers is always difficult. However, it is likely to be tied to the circle in some way. Either it will not be able to leave it at all, or it may become physically less stable once outside the circle, perhaps potentially warping back to the stuff of Chaos.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Hidden Temple 1.jpg
    Hidden Temple 1.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 87

FourMonos

First Post
Garold quickly stashes his blade and draws his hand ax.

He throws the ax at the phantom's head.

[sblock=actions]
Minor: Sheath sword
(movement convert to:) Minor: Draw hand ax
Standard RBA vs. phantom/demon
[/sblock]

Remove ads