• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Essential Guide to a GM’s Notebook *Updated 11/10 - Chapter 12*

Catavarie

First Post
Gold Roger said:
Ok, a lot of this advice will be extremely helpfull in my games. Granted nearly no magical treasure and extremely few monsters (except neogi and chuul) make those chapters less necesarry and since it's the world of thousand oceans, where every island has it's own brews and food, a pricelist with specific food would take a book for itself. But the rest I'll definitely try.
I already have NPC's and towns on index cards and keep it that way.
The results of my previous attempts of timekeeping/gamelogging can only be called moderate, but I'll keep on trying!

You could try creating a pricing matrix for the different Island in your homebrew...give each island a value of + or - whatever you like, based upon wealth of island and supply of raw ingredents, that way a flask of milk could cost 6cp on one island but be either 2 cp, because they an overabundance of livestock, or 2 sp because they have only a handfull of livestock for the entire island. And so on...sincie each of your islands has different recipes its not a diffenative solution but could make a decent starting point for you, especially if each island has one ingredent that is the basis of all their culinary designs...for example:

Russia has beets, the South Eastern USA has Peanuts, Hawaii has Pineapple and sugar cane, mid west UAS has corn and grain, Bermuda has Onions, Italy and Greece have Olives and tomatoes, each of these would of approximate equal value in their respective regions, but are more expensive the further you get from their home area...so a Pineapple might cost 1 sp in hawaii but cost 5 gp in Rome due to length from its home region and a tomato in Rome might be 1 cp but be 5 gp in Detroit

I'm not sure if that all makes sense but just a thought

Nyaricus

First Post
Nightcloak, i gotta say that this thread was amazing. Took like 4 hours to read (checking out other links provided adn such) but . . . wow. If this isn't archived, I'd have to say that i am surprised.

I've been playing D&D for 7 years now (since i was 11), but due to . . . shall we say a change of friends due to highschool problems (read: all my old friends are hardcore drug-addicts now) and my moving accross the city (still going to the same highschool with them [unfortunatly]) I have had to adapt and get a new group of friends and fellow nerds to quench my love for D&D. I starting DMing for the first time this Feb, and i haven't looked back.

I like being on either side of the screen, don't get me wrong, but as a storyteller (which my players tell me i am shaping up to be as a DM), i can do so many other things. I have 8 players in my group, and althoguh some are noobs, they are all great guys who are either discovering or rediscovering why D&D is called a roleplaying game. Its great.

You guide describes many of the things i already do - but makes me realise i can do so much more. I will definitive;y be investing in a laptop computer in the future, as i can see how essential it can be for on-the-fly things in the game.

Mostly, i try to just do the best i can as a DM - and use plenty of common sense. NC, VERY nice thread here, i shall definitively be wanting to hear more from you.

----------

P.S. as a fledgling Campaign designer (oh, why kid, i am right in the middle of it all :p) I would love to hear you thoughts on world-building. In case if i have missed it, if you have started this up and respond to my post, care to post a link?

Thanks again, this has been an aweosme thread!

Nightcloak

First Post
Thank you Nyaricus, your comments are appreciated :)

As this thread winds down, I will start planning a future advice thread. Possibly a Campaign Thread as several members have suggested it. I will most likely leave the world building alone for now as two other members are taking on the subject. Frankly, I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do...

Oh... and welcome to the GMF!

Nightcloak

First Post
Notebook Essential #12: Campaign Planner - Part 1

The master plan, the story-arc itself, and the great outline of your game as it will be. This is the crème-de-crème of the campaign as it is in effect the bare-bones outline of your game.

Set Up:

Well, I had a lengthy set up description for a spreadsheet. But then I decided it would be easier on everyone if I just uploaded one instead. You may use the one I have provided or easily make your own that suits your needs. Essential items you will want is one column for each point of the outline, and one for numbering each point in order.

You will notice the extra TABS on the spreadsheet are labeled as EXAMPLES. These are examples I put together to demonstrate what I'm saying.

Filling it in:

First:

Start from the top, or the beginning and fill in each space with a note about the story arc: Information about the story, events, characters, the BBEG, or even effects of things the characters or bad guys have done. For an example of what I mean, click on the TAB “EXAMPLE 1” on the spreadsheet. Note on how it is just a dry bare bones description of a basic adventure arc. That is all you need to start. It should be sequential as with any outline. Start from the beginning and make notes on towns, events and reasons for adventures (if any) or at least what the BBEG is doing at the beginning.

Second:

Any description that is relevant to the story should be added in the row following the one that describes the item. Add new details as you go. This is the time to get creative and add what the whole outline is with relevant details of persons, places, things, and events.

This is what makes spreadsheets wonderful – you can just inset rows as you go (don’t forget to update the numbering sequence as you go. So add away and change your now descriptive outline as needed!

EXAMPLE 2 on the spreadsheet shows how I did this with the sample story outline from the previous example. The “x” is next to the items I added. As you can see, the story and details develop more at this point.

On details, you don’t necessarily have to add lots of details to events that will take place in the far future. You have time to develop them later, plus it will save you a little work if something changes (read: the players botch your plans) or a key character dies.

Third:

Go back and give it a once over again. Look for little details you may have missed. Maybe a few adventures to add levels between events, or something cool you have read and would like to add. Maybe it’s some unrelated event that you want to add for flavor – like a local war or maybe a plague breakout. Basically, you are adding a little filler and looking for missing details.

Click on EXAMPLE 3 to see how I decided to fill in few details. Develop a few ideas from the last example, and fill in space to advance the players a few levels.

Don’t knock yourself out, you can always add to the list later if you missed something. Double checking now just makes it easier to plan for anything big.

Purpose:

Now you have a complete outline with descriptive information for your campaign. Anytime you need information or even a quick reference: Bam! There it is in the back of your notebook. Further, as your campaign unfolds, you can judge what important NPCs are doing or how they may react to events that effect their plans. You can also logically see how the PC’s actions may change events and what the impact of those events might be. When this happens, you just update the campaign notes to reflect what has happened. You can even put an “x” or something in the little box I added to indicate where the players are if you need a guide.

If your players cast one of those wonderful spells that allow them to learn critical information or use their Gathering Information skill, you will be prepared to offer information. The campaign notes will be ready to give you information as needed – just don’t give away to much!

One of the many Laws of Role Playing(TM) goes “No plan survives contact with the players”. You will need to update the notes, so that leads us to…

Evolving Campaigns:

As events happen, update your notes. As you add details, update those notes. As your players change the story through their actions, change the story arc to reflect the changes. This will allow your campaign to be an adventure versus a written story the players feel they have been railroaded through. Your player’s actions will matter and the events of the campaign will reflect that.

As you go, new story arcs may appear or new NPCs may accidentally become featured. Just add them to the planner and find ways to incorporate them into the game. By reviewing your campaign notes you will be able to see ways your unfolding story can incorporate the new personalities or events. Your players will believe that their actions matter and be amazed at the depth of your campaign.

In EXAMPLE 4, I decided to show a frequently used example in these articles. When the players took the gem from the Barmaid at the inn, I also added the event with the tax collector and city guards with possible latter events. A simple act of not killing the spy now turns into a new plot hook as she becomes involved in the intrigues of the Lady Vaxia!

The essential thing to remember is, don’t be afraid to update your notes or change them to suit what happened. Or in other words, what happens simply happens. If your players blow a hole in your plans, just role with it and move on; change the unfolding story to reflect what your players have done. Don’t worry about the ruined plans or god forbid try to shoehorn things back into the original plan. It won’t work well and you’ll just frustrate your players.

Let the adventure unfold for your players. They will have a blast. And while you are at it, let the adventure unfold for the forgotten player at the table: You. And you will have a blast as well.

Next time – Part 2

Where we reveal the real purpose of numbering every detail on your campaign planner…

Attachments

• Campaign Spreadsheet.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 222

XCorvis

First Post
I did a similar thing for my campaign, but I just used a plain old text editor. One note per line, and I indented for minor notes. Then I could see the major plot points easier, and see the relationship between minor details and major ones.

Nightcloak

First Post
themind said:
Damn, this makes me wish I had Excel on my computer. Another great entry.

Do you have a Works? I could copy the Excel sheets over to Microsoft Works for those that need it.

Last edited:

Catavarie

First Post
themind said:
Damn, this makes me wish I had Excel on my computer. Another great entry.

Download OpenOffice.org from...its a free Office suite by Sun Microsystems and works with Microsoft formats such as .doc, .xls, it has a Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Database, and "Power Point" in it, best of all its completely free and safe. I have the latest version on one of my partitions and I have to say I'm strongly considering transfereing my GM Notebook over to it just because its so user friendly

{EDITED to include the following}
Hey NC long time no see, about time you got back to the Notebook I was going through DTs without an update :D

Remove ads