• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Evolution of the Fighter

Spatula

Explorer
Glyfair said:
Of course, in AD&D editions higher level fighters really start jumping in effective against goblins. They get 1 attack per level against less than 1 hit die creatures (which goblins qualify for with 1-7 hp).
Oh yeah. I used to love getting my fighters surrounded by kobolds in the Pools of Radiance gold box game. The fighter's turn would come up, and 8 kobolds would go down. :D

Are you sure fighters could specialize in weapons in AD&D? I thought that rule only got introduced in Unearthed Arcana. I know because I abused the hell out of that rule with my Elven Cavalier double specialized in longbow!

Hmm...or maybe you're considering unearthed arcana part of AD&D. In which case, never mind!

Ken

wedgeski

Adventurer
Draco Caeruleus said:
nevermind
Just as an aside, what's with the proliferation of these posts on the boards lately? According to my screen, it was never edited. In other words, the poster has apparently decided to comment, changed his mind, and then posted 'nevermind' instead.

Is this just some post count machismo nonsense?

Aus_Snow

First Post
wedgeski said:
Just as an aside, what's with the proliferation of these posts on the boards lately? According to my screen, it was never edited. In other words, the poster has apparently decided to comment, changed his mind, and then posted 'nevermind' instead.

Is this just some post count machismo nonsense?
No. If you edit a post soon enough, it doesn't say that you have. :)

edit --- changed a word. ;)

mhensley

First Post
Haffrung Helleyes said:
Are you sure fighters could specialize in weapons in AD&D? I thought that rule only got introduced in Unearthed Arcana. I know because I abused the hell out of that rule with my Elven Cavalier double specialized in longbow!

Hmm...or maybe you're considering unearthed arcana part of AD&D. In which case, never mind!

Ken

Now that I was able to look at the actual books at home, the answer is no they could not. It looks like I'll need to rework this and include separate fighters for AD&D1 and AD&D2. I was looking at OSRIC and I guess those guys included some UA rules.

trollwad

First Post
No doubt if you use weapon specialization options from late 1e or 2e, the fighter is more of a death dealing machine. I dont think you brought second wind into your calculations. If you did so, honestly how could a 4e 1st level fighter die fighting goblins (up to 15 or so)?

Victim

First Post
trollwad said:
I dont think you brought second wind into your calculations. If you did so, honestly how could a 4e 1st level fighter die fighting goblins (up to 15 or so)?

Err, second wind is once per encounter, is a standard action, and restores 7 HP for this character (and provides +2 to defenses). So it's sort of like the fighter has 35 HP minus whatever damage the goblin deals during the round the character uses second wind (probably not much because of the low base chance to hit and the defense boost) for the purposes of the fight.

And it's not like the goblin is using its sneak attack like ability.

mhensley

First Post
trollwad said:
No doubt if you use weapon specialization options from late 1e or 2e, the fighter is more of a death dealing machine. I dont think you brought second wind into your calculations. If you did so, honestly how could a 4e 1st level fighter die fighting goblins (up to 15 or so)?

I did account for it. It allowed the 4e fighter to get one more kill than without it.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I think you should run the numbers again, except this time pit a 1st level commoner against a common house cat.

Except that I'm not sure 4e has either commoners, nor house cats. So, it might be too difficult. :)

Remove ads