The Expanse?

Mallus

Legend
"This is familiar...", "Is this THAT novel series?!?!", "No it couldn't be!", "Maybe...", "Oh damn! It is!". Even thought at one point: "Remake of Babelon 5? Is that Garibaldi?"
Didn't Miller's hat tip you off?

I also think it's a little to gritty a la BSG (2004), I always thought of it as a bit more babylon 5 smoothness...
The book's are funny. There's a lot of real grim & heavy material in them, but they come off as light because the characters are so lovable and they speak mostly in one-liners.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Not really. It was familiar, I'm just not looking for books in my TV series, that doesn't happen that often in sci-fi...

The book's are funny. There's a lot of real grim & heavy material in them, but they come off as light because the characters are so lovable and they speak mostly in one-liners.[/QUOTE]
Maybe that's it, most of those TV characters just don't come across as lovable characters, with maybe the exception of Gari... Erm, Miller, which is strange because in the novels he just didn't feel that lovable...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like what I saw in the first 2 episodes, but I was disappointed by one moment of plot related stupidity: they tried to use an asteroid to shield themselves from a missile attack, but didn't try to do likewise when, still in the same area- an explosion sent a load of debris in their direction.

Ryujin

Legend
I like what I saw in the first 2 episodes, but I was disappointed by one moment of plot related stupidity: they tried to use an asteroid to shield themselves from a missile attack, but didn't try to do likewise when, still in the same area- an explosion sent a load of debris in their direction.

I think that's part & parcel with the more realistic portrayal of space travel that they're using. During the attack they were close to an asteroid, so could use it as a shield. When they started travelling they no longer were, so had to take it. Asteroids don't generally sit as close to each other, as they do in Star Wars, and space travel is performed using thrust vectors. There's no quick evasion of something that's coming at you, quickly, on a different vector.

My only disappointment in that scene was when they did an aviation style move around the asteroid.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, I'm not quibbling about the distance between asteroids IRL. And you could be right about the distance twixt ship and cover using that particular asteroid, but it didn't feel that way to me.

Part of that is because, even though they never discuss their actual speeds (clever!) they're able to cover certain stated distances with some alacrity- especially when they use their high-speed drive.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Also...why did that wrench fly out of the man's hand while they were repairing the antenna? Was it struck by something and I just missed it?

Ryujin

Legend
They did somewhat explain the speed of travel; it's because they accelerate all the way to the halfway point of travel, then decelerate from there to terminus.

I was wondering about the wrench too and came to the same conclusion that you did (that I'd missed an impact with the junk that they were being hit by).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They did somewhat explain the speed of travel; it's because they accelerate all the way to the halfway point of travel, then decelerate from there to terminus.

That just describes the fastest way to get from A to B in space with relatively RW physics.

But consider the speed the ships would have to travel to support that many people away from Earth and Mars, with system-wide commerce. As a practical matter, that's a LOT of ice/water and refineable ores to be transported. So we know they can go fast...'cause they'd have to.

The missiles used struck the second ship mere seconds after they cleared the asteroid. Sure, the smaller ship followed in hopes of helping, but they couldn't have gotten so far away from the asteroid in that time. Add in some time for shock, and then- snapping them out of paralysis- the announcement of the debris coming their way. They had time after that announcement to get into their seats, prepare for high-g burn, turn their ship around and start running. And they ran for a bit before the first debris strike.

So I still can't buy that the small ship was too far away from the asteroid to cover behind it. The only way I can make it make sense is plot-driven stupidity.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'll give it a B for effort. The second episode is probably the weakest.

My main disappointment is that the book series isn't hard sci-fi after all, but alien magic mumbo-jumbo like so many other efforts.

CapnZapp

Legend
The only way I can make it make sense is plot-driven stupidity.

Yes. Do not approach The Expanse with the hopes it would be realistic intelligent hard sci-fi.

You might still enjoy it if you accept it is pulpy and unrealistic, even though there aren't any space bears or green muppets.

Remove ads