• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Fighter Extra Feat Fallacy

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I'm not saying people that would turn down straight 18's (str18's?) don't exist, just that I've never met one personally. ^-^

There is something to be said for building a flawed character, as long as the flaw IS fun. Unfortunately D&D is a game where having the wrong weakness can lead to a tragic end. Which can be fun for some people, but wouldn't be for others.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Which, in different ways, Saelorn and Tony Vargas each did. The first by claiming a fighter who raises his charisma is actively a bad player, and the later by claiming everyone optimizes.
I made no such claim.

It's only the "there is only one way to play the game, and if you claim you play different than the one way then you're either a bad person or you just don't understand you are playing it this one way," attitude that gets to me.
Which makes you continuing to do exactly that in this thread ...odd.

The first by claiming a fighter who raises his charisma is actively a bad player, and the later by claiming everyone optimizes. There is nothing wrong with being gamist, but not everyone is gamist, and not everyone must be gamist to be a "good" player at D&D.
Not everyone you want to label 'gamist' so you can discount everything they say /is/ gamist, either. GNS is just a set of three arbitrary boxes. People & games don't actually neatly and exclusively fit in one or another of them.

The idea is that its a group setting, you can't go through the game world with "no one speaks except the PC with the highest charisma, no one touches anything without the rogue searching everything for traps
Maybe not the whole world in theory 24/7, but you can be Teller to the face's Penn when social checks are being made if you really want to, I suppose. ;) Having a 'point man' in many situations isn't exactly unreasonable, either.

It's not great for actual play, though, because it's like a mini version of netrunner syndrome: you have the specialized/niche-protected character doing stuff and everyone else more or less left out.

The single-check resolution generally employed by D&D out of combat definitely encourages that, which is unfortunate. In combat, D&D switches to turn-based initiative and, simply, more roles to resolve the conflict. One reason D&D is unfairly characterized as a violent game is that its combat mechanics are its most participative.

The idea is to reward the players for being creative with a PC idea that isn't just a direct optimization of a PC, often using the forums here. CREATIVITY will be rewarded, you can actually play whatever you want.
Optimization, itself, can be quite a creative exercise, especially the concept part of a build-to-concept. Simply lifting an optimized build from someone else may not be, but that's not an indictment of system mastery in general, let alone everyone who might have acquired some.

And this isn't a Fighter Optimization thread - its about how the fighter is UP compared to other options in the game and needs to be improved. However it still got derailed, of which I am somewhat at fault.
I'm not sure how it went off the rails, nor where it's heading, now. Optimized fighters came up to illustrate that the fighter wasn't necessarily under-powered in terms of DPR, now people are railing against optimization ...in defense(?) of the fighter..?

:shrug:

But it also had to include beautiful (possibly evil) women- Morgan LeFay, Circe, Polgara. Sure the implication could be that they use magic to look young and pretty...
As 'LeFay' suggests, Morgan was at most half-human, so like a D&D elf, might be 'young' but had centuries to study magic. Circe wasn't even human, but the daughter of a deity & an nymph.

But, it's mostly just the questionable aesthetics of are our culture that makes wizards old and sorceresses young.

... you see this with characters who are obviously "Fighters" as well. I could list examples of young warriors for days (Parn, Mark, Arthur Pendragon, Rand Al Thor, etc. etc.). Sure, they don't have the experience of a veteran, and that's never ignored, but they have enough raw talent (or backup) to survive and become great warriors. Again, it's strange to have the game tell us that Bruenor Battlehammer, an aged dwarf and Tika Wayland, a teenaged girl are both valid 1st-level Fighters, but since D&D is a game that allows you to play (within reason) whatever kind of character you want, then yes, "Warrior Princess Jenny" and "Oldfist MacOldbeard" can both be 1st-level Fighters in the same party.
A really active adventurer can zip from 1 to 20 in hardly more than a month, by the exp tables and expected encounters/day given in 5e. So, yeah.
OTOH, when you throw in detailed aging rules, you might find other choices being made.

Wow, um, we have strayed a bit from the "bonus Feats" argument. And I'm partially to blame, my apologies. Something I think we need to consider is the Rogue. So the Fighter has mostly combat class features, and a few extra ASI's to round him out. But the Rogue has all kinds of class features that cover all three pillars of play- a Rogue can throw a bucket of dice at you, withdraw or hide as a bonus action in combat, have expertise on any skill they like, reduce damage taken from sword or spell, even get proficiency in an extra save (eventually)! And yet, they ALSO get bonus ASI's...
The fighter gets two and the Rogue one, IIRC. They also both got two non-casting archetypes and one wizard-lite archetype in the PH. There's some parallels in their design.

If the bonus ASI/Feat argument says that's enough to make the Fighter able to contribute outside of combat, then what's the Rogue doing with bonus ASI's/Feat's? They're already able to contribute in all three pillars of play (and that's not even taking subclasses into account).
...IDK. I suspect the bonus ASIs for the fighter was a small nod to the bonus feats of the 3.x fighter... and the bonus ASI for the rogue? maybe a matter of it being a non-caster class, so throw it that same bone?

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Optimization is bad, every Fighter should be built as a Noble with 18 Charisma, who cares if other classes get more mileage out of 18 Charisma, or can actually be better party faces due to their class features, the Fighter CAN be built to cover his weaknesses, so obviously, he has no weaknesses at all!

I apologize for the hyperbole, I know that isn't actually what anyone here is saying. Any time there is a discussion about one of the cornerstones of the game, there will be a lot of different opinions. I've seen variations on this for, well, most of the time I've played the game.

2e: The Fighter sucks, the Paladin and the Ranger are better! vs. Oh yeah, to be a Paladin I need a useless 17 Charisma and have to be a goody good, and to be a Ranger I can't wear good armor! Plus they don't get weapon specialization! (Except when they do, darned Kits).

3e: The Fighter sucks, all he gets are Feats! vs. Whatever, you get 18 Feats and I get 7!

3.5e: The Fighter sucks, the Warblade took all his toys! vs. uh...well...the Fighter still gets a huge benefit from haste...?

4e: The Fighter...is actually not bad. I mean, marking is probably weaker than it needs to be, and he could stand to do more damage, but...go team Fighter!

4.5e: The Fighter sucks! Either he's a lackluster Striker or a black hole Defender with some bizarro "aura" that nobody understands, so every monster just attacks him until he dies! vs. What are you talking about, now the Fighter can fight all day long, and never run out of "powers" like a darned Wizard!

5e: The Fighter sucks! All he can do is fight! vs. What do you mean, he gets like, two bonus ASI's! He can have the best stats in the game and like, two extra Feats! He can be built to be good at everything!

I think the real problems of the Fighter class stem from having to carry a few unfortunate burdens. One, that there needs to be a "simple" class, and that's normally the Fighter's job. Few complicated abilities, a lot of "always on" stuff, resource management is minimal, etc..

The other is a variant of the "guy at the gym" fallacy that drives me up the wall. Some people want the Fighter to be Conan or John McClane- a regular human who persists and wins despite not having cool magic powers. They don't want Cú Chulainn or Achilles- who can perform superhuman feats in battle.

Stuck between these two burdens, the Fighter has always felt like he's wearing a straitjacket- other classes often have game designers tripping over themselves to be given ever more gonzo abilities so they can be seen as cool and awesome- and if you so much as give a Fighter a few spells, there's guaranteed to be a grognard in the corner grumbling about how "back in '78, all a Fighter needed was an 18(00) Strength and a good sword to be awesome!".

Satyrn

First Post
Why does no one every worry about making a strong athletic wizard... :)

Just a couple days ago, in the Point Buy Vs Rolling thread quagmire, I was detailing the concept behind the human enchanter I built to replace my recently deceased gnome battlemaster.

Built with the standard array, I put the highest score into Strength.

I didn't actually think to give him proficiency in Athletics, but now that screams out as an oversight on my part. Thank you.

Satyrn

First Post
That's the other thing I don't get. I've heard people mention over the years how they can't stand to have another PC have a higher stat than them. It's a team game, not PC vs PC. You don't see one team member complain that it's not fair that another person on their team is faster, or a better shot. And extra +1 or +2 here or there makes no real significant difference, IME, and if it helps the party survive and reach the goal because someone else got a higher roll, great.

Boy, have we got a thread for that!

But I just want to pipe in to say I gained my preference for Standard Array for a different reason. At the end of our 3e run, My co-DM was a little fed up with the high numbers that 3e's Roll and reroll rules gave the PCs so when we rebuilt the characters for 5e he had us use the Array to cut our numbers down a peg.

I found it weirdly refreshing. And I liked that my half-orc's Strength dropped from his starting 20 down to 17. I had room to grow!

And then I noticed something else. With the highest starting value (before race) being 15, it feels like the bar for "good at something" is proficiency +2. So now all my 12s and 13s feel decent. And my 16 is great, and I'm not inclined to bother with ASIs to pump anything up to 20.

Using the array has made me less concerned about the numbers.

And it helps achieve my co-DM's original goal. There seems no need to up the number of monsters or their deadliness to make the combats feel more threatening than they had before.

Tony Vargas

Legend
:sigh: can't both Laugh & XP...

When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. And 5e's hammer is spells.
The whole post was funny, but this bit rang so true it needed honorary XP too.
Well said.

I think the real problems of the Fighter class stem from having to carry a few unfortunate burdens. One, that there needs to be a "simple" class, and that's normally the Fighter's job. Few complicated abilities, a lot of "always on" stuff, resource management is minimal, etc..
Nod, that's a perverse tradition. Gygax expected players to advance in 'skill' from clueless warm body with a sword, to experienced adventurer, to earth-shaking wizard, to the ultimate power: the DM. Kinda like old-school leather, really. (But more perverse.)

The other is a variant of the "guy at the gym" fallacy that drives me up the wall. Some people want the Fighter to be Conan or John McClane- a regular human who persists and wins despite not having cool magic powers. They don't want Cú Chulainn or Achilles- who can perform superhuman feats in battle.
Yep, there's a pervasive double-standard in the D&D community. D&D only uses fantasy tropes for monsters and PCs that use magic, unless you can plead magic, you're relegated to bizarre, un-evenly-applied, reality-isn't-real, 'realism.'

Stuck between these two burdens, the Fighter has always felt like he's wearing a straitjacket- other classes often have game designers tripping over themselves to be given ever more gonzo abilities so they can be seen as cool and awesome
There's also been a consistent trend to remove limitations and restrictions from such classes as the game has evolved, too.

and if you so much as give a Fighter a few spells, there's guaranteed to be a grognard in the corner grumbling about how "back in '78, all a Fighter needed was an 18(00) Strength and a good sword to be awesome!".
Hah! A 14 STR and an iron spike was enough in '74!

...not that I've heard much objection to the EK getting a few actual spells in 5e.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yep, there's a pervasive double-standard in the D&D community. D&D only uses fantasy tropes for monsters and PCs that use magic, unless you can plead magic, you're relegated to bizarre, un-evenly-applied, reality-isn't-real, 'realism.'

This is, unfortunately, so true!

There's massive outcry if the fighter gets anything remotely non-mundane - even if it's just a nod to the abstraction of combat in D&D.

Best example I can think of recently was when the designers tried to put in some damage on a miss mechanics (ex. even if you miss you do your strength mod in damage) - the outcry was swift and massive.

Imaro

Legend
:

Is this a D&D thing though. Can you name a fantasy rpg where the equivalent of a D&D fighter gets non-magical but reality bending abilities?

The ones that spring to my mind... Exalted, Earthdawn, Heroquest, and so on all actually use magic as the justification. In fact I find it curious that a portion of the D&D fan base wants a reality bending fighter but doesn't want the developers to use D&D magic (mainly spells) to empower the concept...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Is this a D&D thing though. Can you name a fantasy rpg where the equivalent of a D&D fighter gets non-magical but reality bending abilities?

The ones that spring to my mind... Exalted, Earthdawn, Heroquest, and so on all actually use magic as the justification. In fact I find it curious that a portion of the D&D fan base wants a reality bending fighter but doesn't want the developers to use D&D magic (mainly spells) to empower the concept...

Wuxia stuff?

Remove ads