The First Age of Man

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sheng Shemin

Sheng walked up to every corpse and brutally decapitated the creatures, ensuring they would stay dead for good. "It's always good to be sure..." he mutters at any odd glances he might receive. "So, not so undefeatable now without your heads, hm?" Once his grim work is done, he checks for injured as well. "I have a minor cut only, tend to those in more need of your skills, and tell me if I can help."

Shayuri

First Post
"Sorry," Niraya whispered back. "Things were happening really fast."

She got down out of the cart and the weird-hued dog trotted eagerly over to her, snuffling at her fingers. It ACTED like a normal dog at least.

"It's so strange," she murmured. "I used to dream of this dog. That's how I knew his name. Except...I don't quite recall actually hearing it in a dream." Niraya rubbed the dog's head and scratched between its ears.

And then golden light started leaking out through its fur, as if the skin underneath had become sunlight. It became momentarily dazzling...and then it was gone. Dog, light, and all.

Niraya looked up at Tekai, but didn't know what to say.

Piston Honda

First Post
Palkr watched as the dog faded away. “Interesting.” He spoke quietly and looked over at Odywyn, who was being helped by Inguar, unsure if he had witnessed the vanishing act, Palkr returned to the cart. “Odywyn, you should get some aid.” Odywyn nodded, then looked to Inguar and Seerah to help dress his wounds. Palkr came close to Niraya, keeping out of earshot of Odywyn. “Whatever that was, it’s likely best that Raomohr did not see.” He paused. “It was an interesting trick, where did you learn something like that?”

As they finished dressing Odywyn’s injuries, Inguar looked about in the woods behind them. “Where has Raomohr gone?”

Shayuri

First Post
Niraya shook her head at that. "I don't know that I can say I learned to do it," she admitted. "For a long time strange things kept just...appearing and disappearing around me. But recently, I've started to remember more about the dreams, and that lets me remember their names. The names are the important part, I think. They're what let me pick what to call, and when to call them."

She nearly said more, told him about the Therion and the guidence it had offered. In an uncharacteristic burst of common sense though, she stopped short. Explaining that a big nasty monster who wanted her to kill things was teaching her seemed like a bad idea at the moment.

"This is the first time anything I've called has hurt anything," Niraya said instead. "But only because I told him to. That's good...it makes me feel a little better."

It was a half-truth...Therion had hurt the orcs plenty, but summoning it felt fundamentally different to her than calling the dog, or the pony earlier. It was here in a way the other two weren't...whatever potential she had was stretched to its utmost in calling Therion. It wasn't the same. And the relief she felt in realizing that the things she called weren't mindlessly destructive was indeed a real thing. She'd always worried before that something dangerous would appear, and hurt her or someone else. With the names though, that didn't seem to be a problem.

There was still so much she didn't understand though, and right now her only sources of information was the Therion, and the Breathless. And only one of those was one she had access to.

"Was Raomohr hurt during the attack? He wasn't caught alone was he?"

Great, if names are so important to me, why can't I keep them straight on the people I just met?

Axel

First Post
Tekai was genuinely curious about Niraya's...talents. "These names then... They come from dreams, but where do the dreams come from? And who is responsible for these creatures? Inguar is responsible if his horse destroys my tent. But if your dog kills my chicken, who is the true owner?"

Shayuri

First Post
"Still me," Niraya offers meekly. "If I call it by its name, then I can tell it what to do, or what not to do."

"As for the dreams...I don't really know for sure, but I don't think they're really dreams. Not the way most people have. Sometimes when I sleep, instead of having dreams, I see strange places. But real places. And they're full of strange, but real, creatures. And sometimes, I'm not sure why or how, I learn how to...I lean some of their names. When I do, I can bring them to me here."

Her eyes widened as she closed a loop. A realization. "It's the same for them as me...when I call them, it's like they're dreaming. That's got to be it! They're not really here, just like I'm not really there. That's why it's different!"

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sheng Shemin

"I saw him panicking and running off. We should get him before whatever lurks in this forest does." Sheng replies to Inguar, shifting his sword and shield to his back and grabbing his bow. "Tekai, leave the chat for later, you're the tracker here, I'm the brawl. Lets find Raomohr."

Piston Honda

First Post
“Hmm. I have heard of runes that could summon creatures, but never witnessed one. And your talent does not involve any runic study? Even seeing…” He paused as he sounded more excited, lowering his voice. “Even seeing what you believe to be their realm?” He paused again, in thought. “I might suggest to you that such revelations should only be shared with those you trust. There are men who wouldn’t understand. But even more dangerous are the ones who do.”

Seerah listened intently, though trying not to make it obvious, before turning to Sheng. “I should come too. He could be hurt.” She didn’t sound like she really wanted to leave at the moment, but understood she might be needed.

Shayuri

First Post
Niraya shrugs, a little embarrassed. "I don't really understand runes. I've seen a few others use them, but...they don't mean anything to me. And I've never talked about any of what I do before recently. I never even tried to use it on purpose until a few days ago even."

She takes a deep breath and steadies herself. She didn't have to tell anyone everything. Palkr's interest was both flattering and a little unsettling. How would he react to seeing her when Therion's power infused her? Niraya had a feeling that his interest would only intensify, and that was disquieting to her.

He isn't warning me just to protect me, she thought. He's right, but that's not all it is. He doesn't want to have to...share me...with other people who know what I can do.

"So I guess I was wrong before...I am learning, but I've only just begun. Without runes someone can teach me, all I can do is try different things and see what happens."

Axel

First Post
Tekai blinked at Sheng, not really all that willing to leave camp in the middle of the night, and now in particular. Then he gave a small nod and moved to the fire, pulling a branch free to give some light. "All right then Sheng, he can't have got too far. Stay here please Seerah, and keep an eye on Odwyn. If Raomohr is hurt, we can do enough to get him to you. Otherwise..." He shrugged, not willing to finish the sentence.

ooc: back from holidays now, will do the level up stuff tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Remove ads