D&D General The First Map of the Forgotten Realms

The very first map of the Forgotten Realms was created by Ed Greenwood and mailed in sections to TSR during the late 1980s after he sold the setting to the company for $5000. Years later it ended up hanging in a pub near Madison, Wisconsin. D&D historian Ben Riggs talks about the history of the map on his blog...

The very first map of the Forgotten Realms was created by Ed Greenwood and mailed in sections to TSR during the late 1980s after he sold the setting to the company for $5000. Years later it ended up hanging in a pub near Madison, Wisconsin. D&D historian Ben Riggs talks about the history of the map on his blog.

The map is known as the "Martin Map" after it was saved by TSR's Forgotten Realms editor, Julia Martin -- Jeff Grubb, the then-custodian of the map -- left TSR in 1995, and left the map in his cubicle. Martin kept hold the map and took it to Seattle when WotC bought TSR.

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 1.25.30 PM.png

Kannik

Hero
Aww... It's the answer to my question, but not the one I was hoping for. :whistle:
As in that it's a "taped over edit" and thus a TSR revision vs the original Greenwood map? (The intro to module H3 does nicely thank Greenwood for his contributions and his campaign world.)

I don't remember if it was in H3, H4, FR9, or elsewhere, but I do remember an intro noting how they had to "melt a glacier" to introduce Vaasa, part of Damara, and, of course, the Bloodstone pass. :)

Yora

Legend
The Great Glacier is still really great on all the AD&D maps.

Simply putting the new countries on a spot of barren ice makes a lot of sense. Much more than altering any existing lands.
Impiltur is shown as already being part of the original map, so I guess it was not in the original Bloodstone Pass. I remember from reading FR9 Bloodstone Lands that the connections between Damara and Impiltur seemed notably weak.
Anyone know if Narfell comes originally from the Greenwood map or one of the Bloodstone modules?

“[H]ad a complete cosmology, a complete ecology, and geographical features that actually made sense. There were various nations so it had much more political intrigue. And the materials they published. These wonderful boxed sets! Such delicious detail of all these areas. ”
— Alex Kammer

Yes, exactly the thing I'm missing since loooong time.
I wonder if we will live long enough to see something like this again.

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
Is there a digital copy of the map? I'd be interested in comparing it, since i run my campaigns in Faerun, albeit one altered by a good many campaigns.

squibbles

Adventurer
I'm quite curious to know if any additional areas--besides the moonshaes and bloodstone lands, which I was already aware of--were similarly papered over.

Also, seconding @Jacob Vardy, it'd be awesome if a high definition full size image of that map exists somewhere.

Remove ads

Remove ads