D&D 5E The footbow for 5E

Quartz

Hero
The footbow is a staple of many Chinese films, like Hero. So I wondered about implementing it in 5E. Tell me what you think

The Footbow - Martial Ranged Weapon
Cost: 75 GP
Damage: 1d12 piercing
Weight: 4 lb
Ammunition: (range 200/1000), heavy, two-handed. Ammunition is twice as costly and weighs twice as much.
Special 1: when using this weapon the user is otherwise affected by the Prone condition. That is, the user is Prone but does not suffer Disadvantage to the attack roll with the bow.
Special 2: when using this weapon the user applies their Strength, not Dexterity, modifier to the attack and damage rolls.

What do you think?

Quartz

Hero
I don't think Loading is appropriate. This is just a big bow, not a crossbow that has to be cranked. The power comes from the use of leg muscles. Essentially the action is a squat thrust. Remember that the Prone condition is a huge disadvantage in itself.

Coroc

Hero
But to powerful then. It does more damage than a crossbow, and that is not realistic. Reduce damage to 1d10 if you can do 2 attacks with it. And as you mention it, prone is normally disadvantage, so does that mean you can only attack with disadvantage with that Thing?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
SO...
* higher damage than any ranged weapon (one step up from heavy crossbow with loading property; two steps up from longbow without)
* effective range of 200' (33% further than previous maximum)
* all the advantages of Prone, but not the Disadvantage
* with a max range of 1000' (400' greater than a longbow, 66% further)
* using Strength for both attack and damage, so that character can also be a GWM...

This is far too powerful.

I get what you want, but it's just not balanced. Assuming you want to keep your special prone quality and not have loading, I would suggest:

1d10 damage
range 100/400
use Dex to hit, but Strength for damage.
you must be prone to use the footbow, but attacks do not suffer disadvantage.

(arguably, you could say "You must be prone to use the footbow, and all attacks are made at advantage" which would be cancelled out by being prone. That would mean you can never be at advantage when attacking, which might actually make better sense.)

Quartz

Hero
It's actually a significant advantage if you're at range and not suffering disadvantage.

Do tell.

If you mean that attack rolls against the person prone have disadvantage unless within 5', remember that there may be attackers within 5'. I'm thinking of dragons with minions etc.

the Jester

Legend
Do tell.

If you mean that attack rolls against the person prone have disadvantage unless within 5', remember that there may be attackers within 5'. I'm thinking of dragons with minions etc.

On the other hand, a guy who specializes in this bow can probably make sure he's at a distance and never suffer from this problem, standing up just before potential enemies reach him. What you see as a downside is, in my opinion, yet another part of the benefits package here. Sure, it's not ideal in every circumstance. No weapon is. But in any circumstance where the wielder can set himself up, this weapon is massively overpowered.

I wouldn't use prone in the traits at all. You are not laying down or otherwise in such a situation. And yes, prone would be a big advantage for an archer to be able to fire their weapon from. Because as has been said, its pretty rare that a good archer is engaged in melee. (I totally don't get your dragon and minions retort.)

Anyway, I agree with Kobold Stew and others, it is too powerful and too easy to use this weapon to be over powered. Maybe that's not how you envision the weapon be used, but the possible combos and advantages are broken.

I still think the loading property would be a good adjustment, but not required if other changes were made. You're not just whipping out a second arrow and putting it to the string. You have to do that and then do your squat. But range and damage need to be reduced.

I would see about changing special 1 to something like;
Special 1: On the turn that this weapon is used, the user may not also move a distance of more than 5 feet.

I just don't see making a full move and then setting and firing with this thing.

Remove ads