• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The format of the spell list in the PHB is just plain awful.

GameDoc

Explorer
I suspect that in addition to reverting to an old school format, they also were trying to avoid printing the description of a spell that appears on multiple class lists more than once.

A good middle ground would have been to put the class-specific lists at the end of their respective entries in the class chapter (and for the wizard, also index them by school) and then the descriptions in order level then alphabetical order in the back.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Spell indexes should look like this:

Wizard Spells

1st Level

Alarm (abjuration) You set an alarm against unwanted intrusion. pg. 211
Burning Hands (evocation) Thin sheets of flame burst from your hands. pg. 220​

ect...

With the proper spacing and tabs of course

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Odd. Am I the only one that looks at the class lists, and then goes to the spell for more clarification, if necessary, rather than the other way around?

There are at least 2 of us.
In that case, you'd be better served if they'd included page numbers on the spell list.

No matter how you slice it, the spell lists are not well organized. I honestly don't understand wotc's intent, here.

Agamon

Adventurer
If we went with everyone's suggestions, we'd have 47 pages of spell list. KISS principle with no redundant info works fine for me.

Stormonu

Legend
The only thing that offends my senses is that it's a freakin' running list. Would it have been too much to columnize them like back in 1 & 2E so I can tell when one class list ends and the other begins easier.

Though, I will say for the classes where school is important some sort of superscript character/icon denoting the school would have been nice in the spell list.

Bumamgar

First Post
I like that the spell details themselves are purely alphabetical. The 2e PHB with divine / arcane split, then grouped by level and finally alphabetized is a bit of a pain. Yes, eventually I memorized what spells where what level, but going back recently and playing a 2e game involved wasting a lot of time trying to find spells, so the 5e organization is an improvement for sure.

That said, I think the spell LISTS should be more like 2e, where they are grouped by class and then a single column per spell level, with each class being a new page / section (similar to the 2e layout). Also, adding a "spells by school" index (in an appendix?) would have been very nice. Oh, and a ritual list.

I'm OK with the detailed spell descriptions being strictly alphabetical, but the class summaries up front should include spell school and a brief spell description to save flipping back and forth. The 3.5E PHB got this right.

This PHB is missing a lot of user-centered design features. A feat table with summaries and tab markings by chapter on the outer edges of pages are two other things I would like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads