• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The format of the spell list in the PHB is just plain awful.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not but what is up with the new spell list in the PHB? It is very unorganized and it's a real pain having to flip back and forth to see what class can use what spell. The could have made it like 3rd edition and had each spell with the class name that is able to use it.

In my opinion, they dropped the ball on that spell list.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not but what is up with the new spell list in the PHB? It is very unorganized and it's a real pain having to flip back and forth to see what class can use what spell. The could have made it like 3rd edition and had each spell with the class name that is able to use it.

In my opinion, they dropped the ball on that spell list.
You're true. I've been making spell lists for my players. I'm honestly very close to having a full-service spell index of my own, at least for clerics and druids.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Oh, just wait til you see the Monster Manual... Yeah, they dropped the ball pretty hard on all the organizational stuff.

Good news: There's plenty of user-created tools for that.
Good news(?): They'll run annual surveys to see if people want errata, so we'll definitely get a chance to tell them how we feel.
Bad news: They probably won't give a free copy of the 5.1 PHB to everyone who bought the 5.0 PHB.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Odd. Am I the only one that looks at the class lists, and then goes to the spell for more clarification, if necessary, rather than the other way around?

Evenglare

Adventurer
I absolutely hate that they don't have the schools listed with them. Picking Eldritch Knight spells is an absolute nightmare. It's by far the most egregious offender to me.

I absolutely hate that they don't have the schools listed with them. Picking Eldritch Knight spells is an absolute nightmare. It's by far the most egregious offender to me.

Then it's not an offence at all given they all have the Schools listed on them

Everyone of them is written like

Beacon of Hope3rd-level abjuration

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Odd. Am I the only one that looks at the class lists, and then goes to the spell for more clarification, if necessary, rather than the other way around?

That's still a lot of skipping around if you don't have every spell in the book memorized. I actually made a nice two-page quick reference for warlock spells with one-line descriptions of their effects, which of course i can't post here without getting in trouble for copyright stuff, so that's fun.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Then it's not an offence at all given they all have the Schools listed on them

Everyone of them is written like

Beacon of Hope3rd-level abjuration
But it doesn't say that on the spell list, so you have to flip through every wizard spell to see which ones are abjuration/evocation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads