The Four Lands - The Colony

Lou

Explorer
Alton Kanri, Human Cloistered Cleric/Battle Sorcerer of the Light

As he cuts into the duck with his fork, Alton pauses to listen to his new comrades as they discuss building and the expansion of cultures. For him, such discussions were common and all too were often ended with someone invoking the current teachings of the Light, so the true free flow of ideas was refreshing. The last 30-some-odd days had been a delightful change from the near-imprisonment the cloistered cleric of the Light had grown accustomed to. The Light did not look that much more favorably on Alton’s sorcerery than it did Ederin’s druidic powers. Although they were from different abbeys, they both understood the rigidity of the doctrine of the Light.

Alton had previously met the dwarves Pandak and Conrad at church functions. The gatherings were purportedly to facilitate more understanding between the races. Alton knew better, but there were some church teachings that were better left unrepeated. Alton thought it strange that, except for Ederin—a fellow less-than-well-regarded cleric of the Light—he knew more about the dwarves in the room that the other humans. The last month had provided only a brief glimpse into their minds. Whatever the reasons for bringing the group together, Alton was perhaps the most surprised to be invited. He knew little about business. And he had spent almost his entire life in study of religion and magic in a small, isolated abbey, only leaving for short trips.

Alton stands about 6 foot-2 inches tall, his weight hard to judge in his omnipresent flowing clerical robes. While some of the others carry their weapons everywhere, Alton does not. His silver holy symbol of seven stars on his chest is rare among the Light. Mystra’s sphere of magic makes her an unpopular saint among the church hierarchy. For a man living in an “ivory tower,” Alton’s curly brown hair, mustache, and beard are remarkably well-groomed. His light brown eyes always watching those around him, as if he was out in public for the first time.

One thing is for certain, Alton never seems to be alone. Wherever he goes, a man in a steel breastplate with a long sword at his side follows him closely. Marc Jonason, who is about Alton’s size and shape with a younger, more muscular build, talks even less than Alton. Marc does not seem to be interested in conversation. He just observes everything around him and seems to take it all in.

The talk about war perks up Marc's ears and face. Was there finally something that attracted his interest? Alton continues to eat his duck.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
If you believe mankind should abandon war altogether then you've never seen the orcs on the march.

I saw them. Actually it was one of my first missions, I accompanied soldier friends when I started traveling as new bard straight from academy. There was a pass that needed defense from orc advance before army reinforcements could arrive.

I didn't say we need to abandon war, just that we would be cultured enough not to wage war on others. Defense is something completely different.

Dracomeander

First Post
Conrad's eyes sparkle at the turn the conversation has taken. Taking another large swig of ale, Conrad watches the banter around the room.

"War as a tool for the powerful to spread their influence is an unfortunate aspect of any culture I have encountered so far. Always you will find those with honeyed tongues and blind ambition who are willing to lead those who do not wish to think for themselves. Inevitably that ambition drives them to try to impose their will on someone who has ambitions of their own, and the conflict is born. Sometimes the conflict can be limited to just the guildhall. But when the conflict originates with those who lead tribes or nations, war is usually the result.

"What we have to hope for is that when war results, something better emerges. The forge of war will reveal much about the character of its participants. The peoples who learn to work together and bolster each other find hidden strengths and often weather conflicts that greater numbers of disorganized foes shatter in. That so far has been the case with the orcs when they march. If the orcs ever get truly organized, then all the civilized peoples should tremble in fear. For an organized horde is something it will take all folk to withstand. No one people or nation I have seen thus far has the numbers or power to stop the orcs if they decide to act as a single organized force. Turn them to another direction, yes. Stop them, no."

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Hennett

"I wonder why the people in this room were selected? I can easily see that most of you are very skilled when it comes to talk, and in fact, you seem to be quite enamored with the sound of your own voices. But none of what we think that we know may matter at all when our 'hosts' decide to reveal themselves. We would do well to remember that we are powerless here, and we are at *Someone's* mercy. By the Merciful Light, I have not spoken so much for many, many months!"

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ederin shoots a smile at Hennet and quicly murmurs I have sensed how great your powers are. And we both know that with the use of magic, several of us could have already escaped this place. However, there would have been several casualities in the process, and I am not ready to waste life that lightly. As we have been treated with certain respect, I have been showing equal respect.

Then he puts himself at ease on his chair and his face darkens a little bit, giving him a menacing look. "Although, I have to admit that my patience is slowly running out. I intend to wait till the day after tomorrow, and then I will just squeeze the truth out of the servant. Whoever organized this will have to give me a pretty wonderful explanation. And he would better not try to come out with some idiotic excuse, like "I wanted you to know each other and overcome your prejudices", because all of us are pretty reasonable fellows. There was no need to make us stay idle for more than a month."

Leif

Adventurer
Hennett

"Caution, friend Ederin. The servants here have been very good to us. They should not be 'squeezed', as you say, because of their master's behavior. I could not stand idly by while you vented your frustration upon a hapless innocent."

Nightbreeze

First Post
"That was a figure of speech, Hennet" grins Ederin.

I am not going to append them upside down...I am reserving that for their master, if he makes an especially bad impression on us. However, there's much to be revealed about someone, even if he lies or doesn't speak...that was what I meant by squeezing.

As for the servants, yes, they were really nice. Their master should put them to work for his own family, instead of using them for silly games.

Leif

Adventurer
Hennett

Hennett arches an eyebrow at Ederin, and turns away. He thinks, "Why did I need to come here? I could have been talked down to and treated like a fool in the city nearest to my home!"

Lou

Explorer
Alton Kanri, Human Cloistered Cleric/Battle Sorcerer of the Light

Alton puts down his fork and swallows his food. After wiping his mouthand taking a drink of wine, Alton says, "Ederin, you know Ralph and the other staff are under orders to tell us nothing. Even if we squeeze Ralph, he will tell us some tale about a messager bringing him orders from the secretary of some important-sounding committee from somebody's personal staff. Unless one of the two of us recognizes him, this is probably his first assignment on someone's personal staff. No matter what he does, he'll be told that he failed in some inconsequential way and be returned to his previous position."

OOC: These color choices are yuck!

[sblock=For the DM]Does Alton know anything about Ralph? Anything about him suggest who his superior is? Knowledge Local-The Valley 20 using Divine Insight; Knowledge-Nobility and Royalty 25 using Divine Insight
[/sblock]

Remove ads