• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Fustrating game of WHACK-A-MOLE!!

Michael Morris

First Post
I'm human. I make mistakes.

Apparently the pop-up launcher had a glitch that was causing it to launch on every single page if a) you were logged out or b) you were logged in under the enworld.cyberstreet.com cookie.

Or something else. No one will know now - I got pissed off and erased every inclusion I've made to the whole PHP_INCLUDE start file. That kills the user options, it kills the announcement system, and yes it kills the pop-ups.

For the last week I've been fighting a losing battle trying to keep the interface together. Every time I kill one problem two more appear.

I need your help folks, not your derision. If a problem crops up tell me, but save your rants about pop-ups and the fools who mistakenly unleash them for another time. I'm trying to leave the server live while I fix these problems, but if the mean-spirited comments concerning display errors continue I will shut the server down during upgrades.

Last edited:

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Michael, come on man. Overt "all caps" threats is not a system well-designed to avoid derisive comments.

Worst of all is the fact that you know this :confused:

Michael Morris

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
Michael, come on man. Overt "all caps" threats is not a system well-designed to avoid derisive comments.

Worst of all is the fact that you know this :confused:

Noted, and I uncapped the statement.

I'm just fustrated here guys. The server has been wacky for a while now and it's really trying my patience. I don't need my patience tried by snide comments at the same time.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Michael Morris said:
Noted, and I uncapped the statement.

I'm just fustrated here guys. The server has been wacky for a while now and it's really trying my patience. I don't need my patience tried by snide comments at the same time.

I feel you here -- sometimes it's like you're fighting the server on one end and the users on the other. :/

Good luck, though, holding it together! We have quite a tradition, as you know, of knocking the server around -- between ecclectic browser/OS choices and uneven heavy loads.

aurance

Explorer
Michael Morris said:
I need your help folks, not your derision. If a problem crops up tell me, but save your rants about pop-ups and the fools who mistakenly unleash them for another time. I'm trying to leave the server live while I fix these problems, but if the mean-spirited comments concerning display errors continue I will shut the server down during upgrades.

I think you would have gotten more help and less derision if you would have asked people about a major change like this before putting it in, instead of implementing it single-handedly.

DaveStebbins

First Post
aurance said:
I think you would have gotten more help and less derision if you would have asked people about a major change like this before putting it in, instead of implementing it single-handedly.

I agree. Meta, or even the Moderator forum, are both good places to get input about ideas you're thinking of implementing. I'm sorry that people made comments that made you feel like a target. On the other hand, if I was getting a popup every page, I'd be mad too. It is especially unfortunate because that situation would be where all newcomers to the site would have been. Unfortunate situations rarely have winners.

Ferret

Explorer
*Grabs a cup of tea, hands it to Morris and lowers him into a chair*

I don't see why pop-ups annoy so much anyway, sure they can be slightly annoying but nothings damage. Good luck exterminating the bugs though.

Michael Morris

First Post
Well, I'm definately working with it. Right now I just want get the setup completely stable even if I have to cut off all the frills to get there.

Remove ads