The future of Juxtaposition - PreVote Discussion

W

WizO_Adele

The biggest concern I have with merging the two settings is that we would be hard pressed to be able to keep one as a strict setting enforced area and the other as a freeform high fantasy, high variety setting - which has been a long term goal of the site since we created the two settings. We'd really only be able to appeal to one group, either one extreme or a middle ground we forced everyone into. To me that leaves us right back where we started.

Also, as someone brought up already, I worry most people would end up in the CRT as it is. If there is going to be a second room, worth hosting, then it needs to be unique enough in it's purpose to draw people to it. A different setting seems the most ideal for this.

There are changes with the new software that make me hesitant to restrict us to one setting. I think variety within a setting will be abundant enough.

Dontella

First Post
I am past caring in honesty :)

Since my favorites were taken out of the running, I'm really just sorta nuetral in all this.

So long as we have a place to play, I will be happy.

No matter what setting is selected, in the end, people who want to RP their characters, will do so no matter what is picked..

Although it seems if we were to vote now, Faerun would come out as the setting of choice.. *chuckles*

W

WizO_Adele

I'm not quite sure if I had said this already but deciding for it to be in Forgotten Realms, for instance, does not automatically decide where. If the first vote results in a FR setting, then the second discussion and vote would be where? Faerun, Toril? Somewhere else?

And what side room would we want? We'd want the main room to an emporium/marketplace of sorts, but the second room could be anywhere really. A dungeon, a guildhall, a garden, a tomb.

But that's getting ahead of ourselves. I mainly want everyone to keep these things in mind. Right now we are picking a setting, nothing more. We'll define the details later on.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
I have to say, I am a little sad to see Juxta go. Mind you, I'm almost as upset that it's generally assumed everyone knows the settings. I know it's odd, but I've never played a RP game as such. I do love freeform RPing on this site though, and have done so on and off for around 4 years. Over that time I've learnt to deal with the settings and rules with the aid of other chatters. I'm simply asking that, whatever option is chosen, that it's reasonably simple to understand and follow. It's hard enough for poor old me as it is! It's fine enough, in my oppinion, to have to read a 20 page saga to understand a setting, but I'd rather not have to waste several hours of anyone's time trying to get them to explain to me how a setting works.

I have to admit, a fresh change makes me smile. It's a pitty, but at the same time, like getting a surprise gift that you'll never know exactly what it's like until you open it. Cant wait.

D

Darrius of the Guardians

My Thoughts

We should go with a simple homebrew, nothing snazzy, nothing serious.

Like a series of volcanic islands in the middle of an uncharted ocean that during the recent volcanic activity has created a series of portals to other realms.

The reason I suggest something like this is simple.

With Faerun you will get bickering about Faerun's Major Characters involvment, more so than with Oerth, as not many people who come here know Oerth, but nearly everyone knows Elimister.

Realms - All I've heard is Faerun. There is -more- to Realms than Faerun. Kara-Tur is a Realms settign as well. And yes, many of my characters are FR. In fact, they're spread far and wide through Realms. Vapora is Cormyrian, and Sultalar'alu is from Baldur's Gate, Yuzuki is from Kara-Tur, and I'm sure I have characters from the rest of the Torilian Continents as well if I dig deep. The problem is thatt contry to comments, Faerun itself would be a bad choice if you goto Realms. While Realms is a semi-stable setting, Faerun is anything but Stable. The KIngdoms are constantly warring, and the Gods are sending their clergies to their doom in an Endless Godswar. The only stabel thing in Faerun is the line awaiting Kelemvor's Judgement.

Alright the lands of FR:
Al-Qadim - Already turned down by Adele

Kara-Tur - Setting is limited to only eastern characters, and has a strict setup not exactly free for use for a setting

Maztica - Well...yes, we could do things here, but only if everyone stuck to the setting which means Helmites and Aztec/Mayan/Incan style.

Hordelands - Yes Mongols for everyone! Well no....doesn't work either.

Most these would need more than a paragraph anyway.

Homebrew - By all accounts, while the participation woudl be interestign to build another setting that way. Look at how long it took us all to hash out TMP. I'd rather not wait three years past the original opening again.

Though I cannot say for sure, I am willing to bet there was more to the three year wait than them waiting on patrons hashing things out, unless I am mistaken the TMP went under a series of host leader changes. Namely, it started as a Dantain and Reesa thing, then just Reesa when Dan left, then switched to pou once Reesa left, which means the new host needs time to get their bearings on the setting even if they were involved from the beginning, but thats a supposition from me.

I vote homebrew, simple...easily exapnadle little to no real detail, kinda vanilla homebrew.

C

Ceres

My vote is for Forgotten Realms or homebrew.

I am not a personal fan of the setting and try to avoid it when I can, however, I feel it'd be the best for a new chat setting. The constant background turmoil gives the setting a vibrancy to it. However, I'd suggest somewhere in the realms where extraplanar visitors wouldn't be uncommon.

Or the other option is a homebrew where the proliferation of planar portals can be worked into the setting.

A

Adept_Nathan

Ceres said:
Or the other option is a homebrew where the proliferation of planar portals can be worked into the setting.

::coughsjuxta::

::clears throat with a smirk::

Honestly, I've played D&D since '95 and mostly FR...that's where my vote would lie...although only with the stipulation that Juxta remains afloat in some Ethereal, Astral, .. transitive, cosmological way.

S

Ssussunriyh

Juxta was homebrew.

Personally, I fail to see the point of coming up with an entirely new homebrew setting, since so many players apparently couldn't be bothered to familiarize themselves with the old one...

Remove ads