• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Future of the Ranger

ScuroNotte

Explorer
You could also argue that it's better in the sense that it doubles your hitpoints. All the damage your pet just took could have been damage that you would have taken and been killed. Instead, the pet took all the damage and while you lost that attack, you do still have one attack, plus your other abilities, and your hitpoints. Still alive with one attack is better then dead with no attacks.

Not necessarily. Usually if combating a single boss, it has multiple attacks which can also target you, especially if you are a melee focused player. And if in combat with superior numbers, everyone will get hit.

And I would hope as a beast master, you would not send your beast to slaughter to save your own skin

ScuroNotte

Explorer
No its not.

Having to give up your action is abominable.

Having just the one attack is fine, assuming the class is otherwise attractive.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

That is only at level 3 and 4 when you select that conclave. From level 5 onward you still have an an action (attack) plus another action to control the beast. If anything, for those 2 levels, just forgo the beast or have it in the wings.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
A 2019 5.5 book would not be unwelcome though, 5 years after the game was released. I think it would be a wise business move from a profits standpoint, as well as a good game move to freshen and fix some of the mechanics. There are more than just the Ranger and Sorcerer that need fixing. Probably every single class could have some minor tweaks to them to make them work better, or balance or just make them more fun. Not to mention the fixes that could be given to spells, or clarifications that could be given to game mechanics such as hiding. You could easily make the 5.5 book compatible with all the other books that have already been released.

That being said, an improved Ranger PDF before then would be fantastic. I've made my own version of the ranger that I really love, but I would like to see something official released.

I agree. We use our own versions as well, but would like an official version. Once that focuses on favored enemy and one more as a scout. Also it has no spells.

Xeviat

Hero
If the ranger had worked by giving up an attack to direct their pet, like the chain Warlock, it would have been fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mephista

Adventurer
If the ranger had worked by giving up an attack to direct their pet, like the chain Warlock, it would have been fine.

Hm? It... did? Like, you give up your attack to have the pet do something. Otherwise, they did nothing. That's the entire problem is that you basically gave up one of your attacks to swing the pet as a weapon. The Revised Ranger now lets the pet act on its own turn in addition to giving it orders during your turn, which is more in line with how familiars now work.

Also, I've never seen the warlock give up their attack to a familiar. An eldritch blast, before level 5 and without any invocations or hex, is just as good, and very quickly becomes far better.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
Hm? It... did? Like, you give up your attack to have the pet do something. Otherwise, they did nothing. That's the entire problem is that you basically gave up one of your attacks to swing the pet as a weapon. The Revised Ranger now lets the pet act on its own turn in addition to giving it orders during your turn, which is more in line with how familiars now work.

Also, I've never seen the warlock give up their attack to a familiar. An eldritch blast, before level 5 and without any invocations or hex, is just as good, and very quickly becomes far better.

The current Ranger technically gives up an action to make the pet attack, not an attack. It’s a subtle difference that would have allowed the two to attack side by side at 5th level (or at 3rd if it worked with TWFing). It doesn’t work with the Warlock because EB doesn’t work like Extra Attack.

Remove ads