• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Game of Kings OOC

Bobitron

Explorer
Whee! Thanks DM's.

Wednesday should work for me. I can have a completed sheet done early in the week.

Do you want to give me a number of spells I can have in my spellbook? Or should I just pick a list and you can restrict it from there?

Bront

The man with the probe
Bobitron said:
Whee! Thanks DM's.

Wednesday should work for me. I can have a completed sheet done early in the week.

Do you want to give me a number of spells I can have in my spellbook? Or should I just pick a list and you can restrict it from there?
Per RAW, it should be all cantrips (or at least SRD cantrips), 3+INT 1st at 1st, and then 2 (one must be a specialy if you have a specialty) per level after that, and all others are bought.

Of course, the GMs may rule differently, but I'd start from there.

Ringmereth

First Post
Bront said:
Per RAW, it should be all cantrips (or at least SRD cantrips), 3+INT 1st at 1st, and then 2 (one must be a specialy if you have a specialty) per level after that, and all others are bought.

Of course, the GMs may rule differently, but I'd start from there.

What Bront said. If you're wondering about how many spells your spellbook can physically hold, the PHB says 100 pages (at one page per spell level and one page per cantrip). However, there's no logical reason why a wizard couldn't just buy a thicker book--100 pages is pretty thin, after all. There's rules for custom-made spellbooks in Complete Arcane, but if you don't have that then just add as many pages as you like at a rate of 10gp per hundred (each adds 2 lbs to the spellbook's weight).

Also, thanks for mentioning Living ENberron. I haven't been keeping a close eye on the development of the project, but a Living campaign in Eberron sounds fantastic.

Finally, for those who didn't make it, if you'd like to keep an eye on this thread, I'll make a notification in the title if we ever need a replacement. Those who previously submitted concepts will have priority in joining midway through.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Vhir, Kobold Manipulator

[Here is the final Vhir. Fixed some errors in skills (2 ranks over), gold (missing 200gp), and weight (1 less). Added a "Showing My Work" section to make checking easier. Also added a tactics section.]

Role and Abilities
Primary: Face
Secondary: Arcane blaster/caster/causer of madness

Prominent Abilities: Charisma 18, Dexterity 16, Intelligence 14
Prominent Skills: Intimidate +19, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +12, Sense Motive +6
Prominent Feats: Ability Focus (voice of madness), Force of Personality
Invocations: beguiling influence, summon swarm, voice of madness (DC 18, 3 rounds)*

[sblock=Full Stat Block]Name: Vhir
Class: Warlock 4
Race: Kobold
Hit Dice: 4d6+4, 22 HP
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 21 (10 +5 armor +3 dex +1 natural +1 size +1 deflection)
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Grapple: -4
Attacks: Ranged Touch +7, mwk club -1 (1d4-3)
Full Attack: Ranged Touch +7, mwk club -1 (1d4-3)
Face/Reach: 5x5/5ft
Special Qualities: DR 1/beyshk*, darkvision 60 ft., deceive item, detect magic at will, flaw (non-combantant), light sensitivity, kobold traits
Special Attacks: eldritch blast 2d6
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +8
Abilities: Strength 4, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 10, Charisma 18
Skills: Bluff +17, Concentration +7, Diplomacy +12 (+13 in glammerweave), Intimidate +19 (+15 vs. Medium size), Hide +7, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (the planes) +3, Search +4, Spot +0 (-1 with shaders), Sense Motive +6
Feats: Ability Focus (voice of madness) [Flaw bonus], Force of Personality [1st], Sudden Still [3rd]
Action Points: 7
Languages: Draconic, Common, Undercommon
Alignment: Neutral Evil (Eberron-style)
Deity: None
Height: 2 ft.
Weight: 35 lbs

Lesser Invocations Known: beguiling influence, summon swarm, voice of madness* (DC 18, 3 rounds)
* Vhir currently uses the Khyber-tained warlock modifications from Dragon 332; it changes the DR from cold iron to beshyk and introduces the voice of maddness invocation. Voice of madness replicates lesser confusion, but with a duration of 1 round + 1 round/2 levels.

Inventory:
mwk darkwood club/walking-stick w/ small Eberron-shard (300 gp, 0.75 lbs)
+1 mithral shirt (2250 gp, 6 lbs)
ring of protection +1 (2000 gp)
shaders (1 sp)
4 potions of cure light wounds (200 gp)
2 oils of shillelagh (100 gp)
identification papers (portrait, 25 gp)
glammerweave courtier's outfit (135 gp)
belt pouch (1 gp, 0.126 lbs)
traveler's outfit (1.25 lbs)
letter of credit for 363 gp
Copy of several Korrenberg Chronicles and Sharn Inquisitives
25 gp, 9 sp (0.5 lbs)
9.4 lbs, light load (9.75 lbs medium, 19.5 lbs heavy, 30 lbs max)
[sblock=Ability Justification]Vhir has a unusually compelling presence, which is indicated by his high Charisma and beguiling voice invocations. He is very weak, though a bit hardy (low Strength and a bit above average Constitutation), and does not fight particularly well (Non-Combative flaw). However, he learned to defend himself using his mind, particularly using his natural charisma. He favors lying and coersion, but can be nice as appropriate (full ranks in Bluff and Intimidate, none in Diplomacy---though naturally, he has quite a talent for it). Vhir is sharp, however, and knows how to judge when others try to deceive him (good Intelligence and Sense Motive).

Being touched by Khyber has given Vhir unusual talents, the foremost the ability to cause madness is others (voice of madness invocation); this talent is particularly strong in him (Ablity Focus feat). From his time in Darguun, he learned to use words as weapons (see above) and to value his freedom (thus high Concentration and Sudden Still feat for when grappled and such). His strong personality and belief in himself makes it hard for others to sway him (Force of Personality feat).

Vhir's tribal past only reflects itself in his rudimentary training in the arcane arts retained from his failed tutelage as a blood seer (1 rank in Knowledge (arcana) and (the planes)).[/sblock]
[sblock=Showing My Work]Hit Dice: 4d6+4 = 6 + (3/4*6)*3 + 4 = 6 + 4 * 3 + 4 = 22

Initiative: +3 from Dex

Armor Class: 21 = 10 + 5 mithral shirt +1 + 3 Dex + 1 natural + 1 size + 1 ring of protection +1

Grapple: +3 BAB - 3 Str - 4 size

Attacks: Ranged +7 = +3 BAB + 3 Dex + 1 size
Club -1 = +3 BAB - 3 Str - 2 Flaw + 1 Size

Saves: Fort +2 = +1 base + 1 Con, Ref +4 = +1 base + 3 Dex, Will +8 = +4 base + 4 Cha (Force of Personality Feat)

Abilities: Str 4 = 8 [0pts] - 4 race, Dex 16 = 14 [6pts] + 2 race, Con 12 = 14 [6pts] - 2 race, Int 14 = 14 [6pts], Wis 10 = 10 [2pts], Chr 18 = 17 [13pts] + 1 4th

Skills: Bluff +17 = 7 ranks + 6 beguiling influence + 4 Cha, Concentration +7 = 6 ranks + 1 Con, Diplomacy +12 = 0 ranks + 6 beguiling influence + 4 Cha + 2 synergy (Bluff), Intimidate +19 = 7 ranks + 6 beguiling influence + 4 Cha + 2 synergy (Bluff), Hide +7 = 0 ranks + 4 size + 3 Dex, Knowledge (arcana) +3 = 1 rank + 2 Int, Knowledge (the planes) +3 = 1 rank + 2 Int, Search +4 = 0 ranks + 2 race + 2 Int, Sense Motive +6 = +6 ranks

Invocations: voice of madness save: 18 = 10 + 2 spell level + 4 Cha + 2 Ability Focus feat

Equipment:
Cost: 2250 (armor) + 300 (mw club) + 2000 (ring) + 200 (potions) + 100 (oils) + 25 (id papers) + 135 (outfit) + 1 (pouch) + 0.1 (shaders) + 363 (credit) + 25 + 0.9 = 5400 gp

Weight: 0.75 lbs (3lbs (club) * 0.5 (Small) * 0.5 (darkwood)) + 6 lbs (25lbs (chain shirt) * 0.5 (Small) * 0.5 (mithral)) + 0.6 (6 * 1/10 (potions)) + 0.126 (0.5lb (pouch) * 1/4 (Small)) + 1.25lbs (5lbs (traveller's outfit) * 1/4 (Small)) + 0.68lbs (34 (coins) * 1/50) = 9.4lbs
[/sblock][/sblock]
Flavor Quote
Yes. I know what you expect. Should I sssslur my essess for you? No. Not I. I am not some tribal newcomer filled with naivety, forced to lisp and whine at your feet. My kind are the blood of the Dragon's, and I have been touched by two of them. Can you say as much?

My barbaric kin and their "ancient" ways are a trap, a trap of complacency. Not even the irvhir truly seek to free themselves, to truly seek what they want. I have seen the marks of the Dragon's in the earth, and I have walked the slave markets of Darguun. The towers of Sharn are well known to me, and the madness in the depths of Khyber whisper around me. If you have business for me, let us begin. Otherwise, my time will not be wasted.
Background
Vhir was always an odd one in his kobold tribe. For one thing, there was the coloring---a dusky, midnight blue the color of Khyber. Secondly, there was always an odd smell around him. To kobolds, the smell of home was that of comfort, of tribe, of stability. But Vhir smelled... wrong. It was not quite the stench of the irvhir, the hated kobold-kin that claimed descent from the Dragon Below, but an aroma that was... unsettling. It was this scent that earned him the name Vhir---he smelled like "One Below".

The blood seers were unquiet around Vhir, but, since he was so obviously marked by The One Between, the seers had little choice but to raise them as one of their own. But it was poor going---though Vhir's mind was sharp, he could not master the sorcerous ways of his kin. Occasionally, however, strange things would happen---rocks would shatter, smaller kobolds would occasionally go mad, that sort of thing---when Vhir was around. Over time, the blood seers became convinced that Vhir was not touched by The One Between, but The One Below---Khyber.

Thus, Vhir found himself exiled, left abandoned in the mountains of Zilargo. Unluckily for him, these were the Seawell mountains---and he chose the Darguun side to descend. Needless to say, when the bugbear slavers tried to take him, it was not pleasant. He managed to slay two of them with his gifts of Khyber, but there were too many. He became a slave.

A year passed. Vhir was passed from master to master. Transitions happened so often since odd things kept occurring when Vhir was around---madness, swarms of bugs, that sort of thing. None could point at the kobold directly, but they knew he was responsible somehow. Others tried to kill him several times, but, by this time, Vhir had learned to ingratiate himself, and always had someone bigger and meaner looking out for him. Eventually, when his last master died---it was never quite discovered how---Vhir was "free." As free as a frail looking kobold could be in a nation of strength and barbarism.

Vhir had learned much in his time. He learned the power of the cold voice, the intimidating look, how the refined seem to draw power. He learned how to make people do things, and how to find out what he needed to know. He learned the lessons of power, and strength, and the weakening tribalism that gripped his clan. Most of all, he learned enough to know that Darguun was not the place to be. From traveling merchants, he knew about a place he could get lost, and never worry about such brutality again. Sharn. And thus, he hid himself in the first transport to the City of Towers. There, he could find misfits like himself and patrons who could benefit from his... abilities.

Appearance and Personality
The kobold known as Vhir has a reputation of being a competent negotiator. He has a civilized voice with an odd timbre that makes people uneasy and willing to help him all at once; the rumors of madness and other oddities that follow him also lend his presence some weight. His impeccable manners and well dressed appearance (nice clothes, fine Eberron-shard tipped darkwood walking stick) distinguish him from others of his kind. Shady, and some not-so shady characters, seek Vhir out when they need deals brokered in a discrete manner. Sometimes Vhir sent to bring a message; sometimes he sent is to scare. Vhir does not care about the details. As he learned in Darguun, the only thing that matters is comfort and survival.

Vhir works remarkably well with others. He is a fine judge of talent, an ability that he developed when playing the strong against each other in Darguun. He appreciates the skills that others bring. However, he doesn't care for any who hold him to kobold stereotypes or try to weaken his position, comfort, or freedom.

Vhir is very short for kobold, barely standing 2 feet tall. His skin, which his fine glammerweave clothes accent, is a dusky purple; his eyes glow a deep red when his shaders are not worn. He speaks with a deep voice for a kobold, in a very refined and assured manner. His actions and motions are very measured.

Tactics
Vhir prefers others fight for him, as he knows his physical frailities would fail in him in melee. If confronted by one bully alone, he will drive them mad with his voice of madness; if confronted by several, he tries to flee or talk them out of it (via a quick Intimidate or Diplomacy check as appropriate).

When fighting with a group, Vhir stays way to the back. He prefers to drive the strong or spellcasters insane with his voice, or, if the enemy is in a bunch, summons a swarm to harry them. Eldritch blasts are used as appropriate.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
I'm going to have to rush through creation today from work, which means I only have access to the SRD. Tomorrow is going to be nuts and I want to have things ready for Wednesday.

Any suggestions for spells or feats outside the SRD that you guys feel are invaluable for a utility-minded wizard?

Edit: Also, when you say 'all others are bought' regarding spells, what are the costs?

Edit: Here's my stab at the character sheet. Let me know if there are any spells and such I should check out. I also have to grab my feats and skills still.

Edit (again!): Okay, worked out Skills and familiar. Still need a couple Feats, AP, and advice on spell choices.

[sblock]Glasia Domarus
Cloistered Cleric 1/Wizard 3

Time to go.

The young woman steps up to the small stair that leads into the cabin of the lightning rail. It was a step she had taken many times before, but this time the journey was different. This time the trip would not end in Sigilstar or even Aruldusk, but would continue far from her homeland, deep into the Lhazaar Principalities to the city of Tantamar, bound for Port Verge. It will be the farthest I’ve been from home, she mused as she entered the well-appointed cabin.

Anyone who looked at her eyes could see she was nervous if they could peer beneath the hood she wore. The traveler’s cloak and gleaming symbol of the Silver Flame she wore about her neck, the only item visible aside from the thick woolen mantle, made it clear that she was seeking privacy, and the reserved and restrained people of Thrane were happy to respect her wishes. She carried a birdcage, carefully covered with silk to shut out the world, from which emitted soft clacking noises then and again. Hushing the inhabitant gently, she sat down in the thick cushions, her head low.

What am I doing? She clenched her jaw. For Hariel.

313a.jpg

Background: Glasia Domarus was the eldest daughter of Bishop Domarus, a popular priest of the Silver Flame with a reputation for administration and faith that was sure to earn him an honored position in the Council. Under constant scrutiny, she grew up even more religious than the average Thrane, the tenants of the faith forever etched into her mind. She studied at the finest schools Flamekeep had to offer. Success at courses in Theology and History came naturally to the bright youth, but what truly got her mind and heart racing was Wizardry. A visiting professor from Sigilstar instilled a love of the art of wizardry and an open mind in her being, and she took to the study of spellcraft with a passion. She served her father willingly once her studies were complete, helping him with practical and mystical knowledge as he slowly built up the support he would need for the transition to Cardinal. The future seemed bright and the road ahead as clear as day.

Until the morning of Sul, the third week of Dravago, one month ago. Glasia’s beloved younger sister, Hariel, awoke in a fever. She spoke in a strange language unlike anything Glasia had ever heard. Even her magic could not decipher its meaning. Her father’s young assistant, a crooked man named Suthat who was rumored to be watching over her father for the council, recognized it instantly. Demon, he called her. Unclean, he said. Tainted, he hissed. Calling on a exorcist to clean her of the possession proved unsuccessful. Her father, fearing the stain on his reputation, ordered her locked away in a small monastery leagues from the city, where sisters of the Church kept her locked under constant guard, refusing all visitation.

Certain that Suthat and some high-ranking member of the Council was behind the events, carefully constructed to test her father’s dedication to the reputation of the Cardinals, Glasia began to seek out her own cure. Her father was furious, disowning her and refusing to speak with his eldest again. After weeks of searching, exhausting all the favors she had accumulated over the years, Glasia found one man who could return her sister to normality. Decanar Versius is an unconventional man with unconventional desires. He demanded a magical tome in return for his services, unique and unseen except in the most complete collection in Flamekeep, known as Flavin’s Compendium. The owner has placed an enormous price on the book of over 50,000 gold, a sum more than ten times what Glasia could possibly earn in years of work as a simple scribe or translator. Even serving as a pet wizard to a rich employer wouldn’t raise the funds.

Glasia doesn’t know how the enigmatic Elinvath Sargessean became aware of her name or her desire for gold, but she sees the trip to Lhazaar as the only way to save her sister from a fate worse than death. Desperate for both the gold and a feeling of accomplishing something to help her dear Hariel, she leaves the comfort of her bright apartment in Flamekeep and joins five other heroes from all around Khorvaire with only one thing in common; a letter.

Personality: Glasia is young and new to the world outside Thrane. She can seem confused and bewildered by the behavior of those around her at times, but she learns quickly. She is unfailingly polite and reserved, soft-spoken and dedicated. Her faith is still strong despite the way the Church and her father have let her down, and she tries her best to live by the tenants of the Silver Flame even though she left direct service as a cleric years ago. She knows in her heart that one day she will have to choose between doing what the Church sees as proper and what she needs to do to save her sister. The decision won’t be hard to make; Hariel comes first.

Stats:
[sblock]
Name: Glasia Domarus
Class: Wizard 4
Race: Human
Hit Dice: 4d4, 13 HP
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: (10)
Base Attack Bonus: +2
Grapple: +2
Attacks: Dagger +2 (1d4-1, 19-20 x2, 10 range)
Full Attack: Dagger +2 (1d4-1, 19-20 x2, 10 range)
Face/Reach: 5x5/5ft
Special Qualities: Human Traits
Special Attacks: None
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +6
Abilities: Strength 10, Dexterity 11, Constitution 10, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 14, Charisma 14
Skills: 49 skill points (28+7+7+7)
Concentration +7 (7 ranks)
Decipher Script +11 (7 ranks, +4 Int)
Knowledge (Arcana) +11 (7 ranks, +4 Int)
Knowledge (Geography) +11 (7 ranks, +4 Int)
Knowledge (History) +11 (7 ranks, +4 Int)
Knowledge (Religion) +11 (7 ranks, +4 Int)
Spellcraft +13 (7 ranks, +4 Int, +2 from Arcana)
Spot +2 (+2 Wis, +2 Awareness within arm’s reach of familiar, additional +3 in sunlight)

Feats and Class Abilities: Heroic Surge (starting feat,spend 2 AP to gain an extra Move or Standard action), Heroic Spirit (human bonus feat, +3 AP/Lvl), Scribe Scroll (Wizard bonus feat), Spell Penetration (3rd level feat, +2 bonus on caster level checks (1d20 + caster level) made to overcome a creature’s spell resistance)
Action Points: 10
Languages: Common
Alignment: Lawful Good
Deity: Silver Flame
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 130 lbs

Spells
Wizard Spells Known:
0 level
Resistance: Subject gains +1 on saving throws.
Acid Splash: Orb deals 1d3 acid damage.
Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or small object.
Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.
Daze: Humanoid creature of 4 HD or less loses next action.
Dancing Lights: Creates torches or other lights.
Flare: Dazzles one creature (-1 on attack rolls).
Light: Object shines like a torch.
Ray of Frost: Ray deals 1d3 cold damage.
Ghost Sound: Figment sounds.
Disrupt Undead: Deals 1d6 damage to one undead.
Touch of Fatigue: Touch attack fatigues target.
Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
Mending: Makes minor repairs on an object.
Open/Close: Opens or closes small or light things.
Arcane Mark: Inscribes a personal rune (visible or invisible).
Prestidigitation: Performs minor tricks.

1st level
Shield: Invisible disc gives +4 to AC, blocks magic missiles.
Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
Obscuring Mist: Fog surrounds you.
Comprehend Languages: You understand all spoken and written languages.
Identify M: Determines properties of magic item.
Sleep: Puts 4 HD of creatures into magical slumber.
Feather Fall: Objects or creatures fall slowly.
Orb of Fire, Lesser: Ranged touch attack deals 1d8 points of fire damage, additional 1d8 per 2 levels above 1st (purchased for 150gp)
2nd level
Protection from Arrows: Subject immune to most ranged attacks.
Resist Energy: Ignores first 10 (or more) points of damage/attack from specified energy type.
Knock: Opens locked or magically sealed door.
Invisibility: Subject is invisible for 1 min./level or until it attacks.
Scorching Ray: Ranged touch attack deals 4d6 fire damage, +1 ray/four levels (purchased for 300gp)
Shatter: Sonic vibration damages objects or crystalline creatures. (purchased for 300gp)
Mirror Image: Creates decoy duplicates of you (1d4 +1 per three levels, max 8) (purchased for 300gp)
Continual Flame: Makes a permanent, heatless torch. (purchased for 300gp)

Spell Slots: Wizard 4 0 level, 4 1st level, 3 2nd level
Spells Memorized: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Shield, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist, Sleep, Shatter, Invisibility, Scorching Ray

Inventory: 694 gp, 9 sp, 4cp

Goggles of Minute Seeing (+5 bonus to Search checks to find secret doors, traps, and similar concealed objects, 1250gp)
Silvered Dagger (22gp)
Clothing (fine wizard’s robe inscribed with the symbol of the Silver Flame x 2, 40gp)
Candle x 5 (5cp)
Scroll case x 10 (10gp)
Chalk (1cp)
Flint and steel (1gp)
Vial of ink (8gp)
Paper x 20 (8gp)
Waterskin (1gp)
Belt w/ 5 pouches (5gp)
Sunrod x 5 (10gp)
Potion of Cure Light Wounds x 5 (250gp)

Scrolls:
Alarm x 5 (125gp)
Detect Secret Doors x 5 (125gp)
Expeditious Retreat x 5 (125gp)
Mount x 5 (125gp)
Floating Disc x 5 (125gp)
Arcane Lock x 1 (175gp)
Disguise Self x 1 (150gp)
Locate Object x 1 (150gp)
Silence x 1 (200gp)
See Invisibility x 1 (150gp)
Spider Climb x 1 (150gp)
Whispering Wind x 1 (150gp)

Familiar
Name: Cloudchaser
Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 4 (6 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 19 (+2 size, +3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-8
Attack: Talons +7 melee (1d4-2)
Full Attack: Talons +7 melee (1d4-2)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Alertness (given to master when within arm’s reach), improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, deliver touch spells
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +16
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse, Master gains +3 to Spot checks in bright sun
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads