• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Game of Kings OOC

MadMaxim

First Post
Just wanted to say that Partash is ready for approval, in case you haven't already done it.

Background Information
[sblock]Background: Partash grew up in the city of Sharn where he was tutored by the wise Havakhad. In the kalashtar community of the Overlook district, Partash was taught how to focus and meditate by using il-Yannah as his guide. He learned to master the strange divine energy that emerged from il-Yannah and shape into positive energy capable of healing wounds and bright destructive rays of light. Havakhad was impressed with his student and thought he would make an excellent lightbringer, but fate would it otherwise…

Partash’ parents were shadow walkers, the only line of defense against the encroaching Dreaming Dark. They also fought other manifestations of evil and it was against one of these that they lost their lives. Their deaths were a blow to Partash’s life. Disheartened and unmotivated, he struggled to continue his education under Havakhad, each day growing harder and bleaker. Eventually Havakhad confronted him in his chambers, asking about his sorrow, his health and his study. It was at this point a small squad of Riedran assassins had made their way to Sharn, intent on ending Havakhad’s life – a follow-up mission to their success in the battles against the shadow walkers.

In a grand display of positive energy and searing light, Partash fended off these attackers alongside Havakhad, killing two and sending the rest running. At this point Partash realized he still had family – someone who cared about him – in Havakhad, and this motivated Partash into walking in his parents’ footsteps and become a shadow walker himself. However, he had a different point of view. In order to protect his interests, he would have to know as much as possible about his enemy. He locked himself away in a room with as many books about possible threats to the kalashtar as he could carry and started studying. He only came out to eat. It was like that every day for an entire year, before Partash emerged from his chamber with enough knowledge to fight and defeat all his enemies. This turn of events saddened Havakhad, but he knew that there was no stopping him, so he let him go.

Partash now walks the lands of Khorvaire to battle all manifestations of evil but particularly the agents of the Dreaming Dark. He searches for artifacts powerful enough to take the battle to Riedra and the Inspired, but he knows all too well that he has to become much more powerful to achieve such a goal. Therefore, he has taken to adventuring in order to gather knowledge and power. He does his best to conceal his kalashtar traits, because the best defense against the Dreaming Dark is secrecy. Partash goes by the alias of Parlinor Tashlov, a human priest of the Sovereign Host.

Description: Partash is a 57-year-old kalashtar, but he appears young by human standards. He’s tall (6’1”) and slightly-built, making it obvious to anyone who sees him that he didn’t spend all his time practicing swordplay but was more likely buried beneath piles of books. His skin is rather pale which only goes to prove that he hasn’t been outdoors a lot. His hazel eyes always appear calm and determined even if everything around him seems to be pure chaos. His short black hair gives the viewer a look at his fine facial features which appear almost as fine as those on an Aerenal elf. His voice is calm even in the heat of battle and nothing really seems to be able to surprise him.

Partash is a kind and caring person and truly a champion of the Path of Light. Where others of his kind found a way to perfection through meditation and communication with il-Yannah, he found true divine power. He’s a humble person but always ready to dispense advice if the situation calls for it and if he thinks that his perspective is worth taking into consideration. He never speaks before having thought everything through and never makes rash decisions. Partash is a courageous person and will fight for the good of all, but his foremost enemy is the Dreaming Dark of the Inspired of Riedra. When he fights the agents of the Dreaming Dark, his nice façade seems to crack and his anger burns through. He seems to become a different person, but it’s really his quori spirit showing its true hatred for its enemies. He will stop at almost nothing to destroy them and their plans. He knows full well the quori spirit inhabiting the human vessel will just posses a new body, but that doesn’t stop him from destroying their links to Eberron.

Still, the loss of his parents and the attack on the enclave in Sharn has fueled his obsession with gathering knowledge. He needs to know the weaknesses of his enemies and therefore he often seeks knowledge that weren’t meant to be seen. Unholy texts taken from Cults of the Dragon Below, partial scripts concerning the Draconic Prophecy, propaganda from the Inspired in Riedra and research notes of daelkyr experiments are important to him. He’ll study it all meticulously for any clues about evil creatures. Only time can tell when his sanity breaks from the weight of this forbidden knowledge…[/sblock]
And here's the sheet as I posted it earlier.

Character Sheet
[sblock]Name: Partash (aka Parlinor Tashlov)
Class: Archivist 4
Race: Kalashtar
Hit Dice: 4d6+4, 22 HP
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 16 (10 +5 armor, +1 Dex)
Base Attack Bonus: +2
Grapple: +3
Attacks: +1 heavy mace +4 (1d8+2, x2) or masterwork light crossbow +4 (1d8)
Full Attack: +1 heavy mace +4 (1d8+2, x2) or masterwork light crossbow +4 (1d8)
Face/Reach: 5x5/5ft
Special Qualities: Kalashtar traits, lore mastery (Knowledge (the planes)), naturally psionic, psi-like ability (mind-link 1/day), still mind
Special Attacks: Dark knowledge 4/day
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5 (+7 against enchantment spells and effects)
Abilities: Strength 12, Dexterity 12, Constitution 13, Intelligence 19, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10
Skills: Concentration +8 (7), Knowledge (arcana) +11 (7), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +11 (7), Knowledge (history) +11 (7), Knowledge (nature) +11 (7), Knowledge (religion) +11 (7), Knowledge (the planes) +13 (7), Spellcraft +13 (7)
Feats: Archivist of Nature* (can use dark knowledge against fey and giants), Draconic Archivist* (can use dark knowledge against constructs and dragons), Scribe Scroll (bonus feat)
*Feats from Heroes of Horror
Action Points: 7
Languages: Common, Draconic, Quor, Riedran
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Deity: The Path of Light (il-Yannah)
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 156 lbs

Spells Prepared (Save DC 14 + spell level):
0––cure minor wounds, detect magic, light, read magic
1st––bless, comprehend languages, cure light wounds, protection from evil, shield of faith
2nd––align weapon, cure moderate wounds, curse of ill fortune (Will DC 16 negates), resist energy

Prayerbook:
0––create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, detect poison, guidance, inflict minor wounds, light, mending, purify food and drink, read magic, resistance, virtue
1st––bless, comprehend languages, cure light wounds, detect evil, divine favor, doom, protection from evil, remove fear, shield of faith
2nd––align weapon, cure moderate wounds, curse of ill fortune, resist energy

Inventory:
+1 heavy mace (2312 gp)
Masterwork light crossbow (335 gp)
20 bolts (2 gp)
+1 chain shirt (1250 gp)
Vest of resistance +1 (1000 gp)
Silver holy symbol of the Path of Light (25 gp)
Silver holy symbol of the Sovereign Host (25 gp)
Everburning torch (110 gp)
2 scrolls of cure moderate wounds (150 gp each)
Traveler’s outfit (1 gp)
Backpack (2 gp)
38 gp
[/sblock]

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Bobitron said:
Any suggestions for spells or feats outside the SRD that you guys feel are invaluable for a utility-minded wizard?
shatter is a fun spell; would've been Vhir's other choice except he doesn't haven enough slots.

Fire-based spells also make sense for a worshiper of the Flame. Could consider Energy Substitution from CA for that purpose as well.

Nonlethal Substitution] from CA could be useful if we are trying to bring someone back alive. You need another metamagic feat; it takes up 1 slot higher.

Any of the Sudden * feats from CA or the burn action point to apply a metamagic feat/spontaneously cast feats from the ECS or RoE (forget their names) could be useful, depnending on the # of metamagic feats you take.

Bobitron said:
Edit: Also, when you say 'all others are bought' regarding spells, what are the costs?
50 gp/level to purchase + 100gp/level to scribe

Bobitron

Explorer
stonegod said:
shatter is a fun spell; would've been Vhir's other choice except he doesn't haven enough slots.

Fire-based spells also make sense for a worshiper of the Flame. Could consider Energy Substitution from CA for that purpose as well.

Nonlethal Substitution] from CA could be useful if we are trying to bring someone back alive. You need another metamagic feat; it takes up 1 slot higher.

Any of the Sudden * feats from CA or the burn action point to apply a metamagic feat/spontaneously cast feats from the ECS or RoE (forget their names) could be useful, depnending on the # of metamagic feats you take.

I might take a more aggressive spell list as I go up in level depending on how I end up working in the group. At that point the more offensive stuff would benefit from some Energy Substitution.

I'll take a peek at those feats, thanks.

stonegod said:
50 gp/level to purchase + 100gp/level to scribe

Ooo, cool. I think I'll drop some scrolls to get some more spells.

Ringmereth

First Post
Except for maybe seeing Superman today, I have loads of time. Expect plenty of edits here.

Bront:
[sblock]I want your sheet in my format by the time we start playing, but I admit that yours is easier to proofread. So, I'll start with that.

-"Artificer," not "Aritifacer," and "Morningstar," not "Mourningstar." (Yeah, it's not mechanical, but those jumped out at me anyway.)
-Your grapple bonus should be +5.
-With a starting Int of 16, Carver should have three bonus languages, so pick two more.
-By my calculations, you've spent exactly 4900gp, giving you 500 more to spend or save.
-Finally, 'forged don't have any specific eye color; they change with the Warforged's mood. [/sblock]

stonegod:
[sblock]First off, I really appreciate your "Showing My Work" section, probably your best idea in a long line of extra efforts to make running this game much easier for Dark and I--she said yesterday that you may be the most DM-friendly player we've ever encountered, and I agree. Thanks for consistantly going the extra mile to help us and other players out.

With that in mind, I glanced at your character sheet and did a quick double-check. Everything is in order... but I noted that kobolds take a net -4 penalty to their ability scores, and a +1 natural armor bonus definitely does not make up for it. At a CR of 1/4, kobolds are half as powerful as standard races and probably deserving of a LA -1, if there was such a thing.

It is my opinion that you should get some kind of perk for picking a race substantially weaker than your other options. I haven't decided what that might be, but I'll come up with something: removing Vhir's light sensitivity, giving a bonus feat or ability bonus to Int, granting a few tiefling-like traits to reflect the taint of Khyber... if you have any particular requests, I'd take them into consideration.

Anyway, consider your character sheet approved. Go ahead and post Vhir in the RG thread.[/sblock]

Isida:
[sblock]Your sheet looks good, and I just need a few minor things cleared up.

-Morkia's skills may or may not be off--making sure bonuses (especially from skill synergies) are correct is difficult without the number of ranks you've invested in each. Simply putting the number of ranks in parentheses next to the bonus would make it much easier.
-Her inventory is almost spot-on, but you missed 5 gp somewhere when calculating your total. Just knock that off your cash reserves.

Everything else looks fine; fix these and you can go ahead and post Morkia on the RG thread.[/sblock]

Bobitron:
[sblock]I'll address your questions first and then go on to your character sheet.

-Spells and feats: as a frequent player of arcane casters, I'm rather familiar with good (read: heavily min/maxed) options for wizards. I mentioned a couple feats earlier that tie into Glasia's history with the Silver Flame. One you might consider is Arcane Disciple (from Complete Divine), which allows you to pick a domain possessed by your deity and add spells on that domain's list to your class list (though you must learn the spells yourself), and cast them each once per day. Unfortunately, those spells are cast using wisdom as their requisite ability. Since Glasia's wisdom score is relatively high, she'd be capable of putting the feat to good use, at least until 9th level. The Silver Flame has Exorcism, Good, Law, and Protection, so check those and see if you'd like Glasia to be able to cast spells off those lists.

Metamagic feats (such as the ones stonegod mentioned) are always useful, but their utility comes more at higher levels. This can be offset, though, by taking the Heroic Metamagic feat, which allows them to spontaneously apply any metamagic feat they know to a spell they cast at the cost of one action point per level of the metamagic's normal spell slot adjustment. It doesn't have any particular thematic match to Glasia's background with the Silver Flame, but a utility mage who's able to boost her spells on the fly a few times per level has a lot of flexibility. Heroic Spirit (which grants another 3 action points per level) would give you more mileage out of Heroic Metamagic, and lots of metamagic feats obviously would as well. Finally, two other action point feats could help you: Action Surge allows you to spend 2 action points to gain another move or standard action on your turn, which means you can get off two (or three if you have a Quickened spell on hand) spells in a round instead of one, and Spontaneous Casting allows you to swap a memorized spell for another one in your spellbook, also at the cost of two action points.

Spell Penetration becomes rather necessity once you reach mid to high level. You won't run into creatures with SR very often when we start, but getting the feat out of the way wouldn't hurt.

Finally, if you're interested in going into a prestige class, now's the time to take prerequisite feats. I'm not a fan of players planning their progression for 20 levels of a character, but knowing what Glasia might like to specialize in is just fine.

Enough on feats. In regards to spells, I'd suggest taking other characters' spellcasting into consideration. Deuce's Beguiler is loaded with illusions and enchantments and Bront's artificer has plenty of combat and equipment buffs, so plan accordingly. Despite her utility role, I'd also suggest giving Glasia at least one offensive spell per level--Scorching Ray is both useful and thematically appropriate. Orb of Fire from Complete Arcane might also fit the bill. I second stonegod's recommendation of Shatter. On the defensive side, your current picks look pretty good, though I'd suggest Mirror Image.

You also asked about action points. They're replenished each level, and the formula for how many a character recieves is 5 + 1/2 level. Therefore, a 4th level character recieves 7 AP.

Finally, as a last piece of build advice, I'd suggest paying a little more attention to physical stats. Most wizards can't hit stuff in melee, and that's fine, but having a point or two of Con and/or Dex bonus would be a nice backup against getting killed in one hit, which seems very possible as she's currently written.

As for your sheet, it obviously needs some gaps filled in, but your calculations are all correct, save that you're nine copper over budget ;). [/sblock]

MadMaxim:
[sblock] Your sheet looks pretty good; just a couple revisions are necessary.

-First, to make accounting for your skills manageable, please list the number of ranks you've invested in each. This makes checking your math a lot easier.
-With a +4 Int bonus, Partash should have one more bonus language.
-By my calculations, you've spent 5250 gp, and have another 150 remaining.

Also, while I'm fine with allowing feats you've chosen, I'll advise you that you'll get more mileage out of picking something else (metamagic or action point feats, maybe, or something out of Complete Divine if you have access to it) over Archivist of Nature. It's your decision.

Fix the above issues and you can go ahead and post Partash in the Rogue's Gallery.[/sblock]

James:
[sblock]You've yet to post a finalized copy, so I'm working off the revision at the top of this page.

-First, you exceeded the point buy by two points--your ability score adjustments total to 35 points. I'd suggest dropping your Con to 14.
-With an Int bonus of +2, you can pick one more language.
-You win the award for the smallest inventory error at 1 cp below starting gold.
-Your feats look fine, but I'm not familiar with 'Sharp-Shooting'. Where's it from?

Also, taking the horse is fine, but I'm anticipating that it may be more trouble than it's worth.[/sblock]

Since no one's expressed a problem with it, I'll plan on starting Wednesday evening, assuming all characters are ready. I'm not worried about those who've already posted, but James has yet to respond since we selected the group.

Last edited:

stonegod

[sblock=Ringmereth]
Ringmereth said:
stonegod:
First off, I really appreciate your "Showing My Work" section, probably your best idea in a long line of extra efforts to make running this game much easier for Dark and I--she said yesterday that you may be the most DM-friendly player we've ever encountered, and I agree. Thanks for consistantly going the extra mile to help us and other players out.
Thanks. Makes life easier for everybody. I try to be the player I would want. ;)
Ringmereth said:
With that in mind, I glanced at your character sheet and did a quick double-check. Everything is in order... but I noted that kobolds take a net -4 penalty to their ability scores, and a +1 natural armor bonus definitely does not make up for it. At a CR of 1/4, kobolds are half as powerful as standard races and probably deserving of a LA -1, if there was such a thing.

It is my opinion that you should get some kind of perk for picking a race substantially weaker than your other options. I haven't decided what that might be, but I'll come up with something: removing Vhir's light sensitivity, giving a bonus feat or ability bonus to Int, granting a few tiefling-like traits to reflect the taint of Khyber... if you have any particular requests, I'd take them into consideration.
Wizards has some suggestions based upon Races of the Dragon. None of them actually give Vhir anything that he would use, but there you go. The other thing that Races introduces (alluded to on the URL) is a ritual that gives them a 1st level sorcerer spell as a spell like ability once per day (at the cost of 1 permanent hp).

I have no specific requests, however.[/sblock]

Bront

The man with the probe
[sblock=Ringmerth]I'll fix the spelling things.

Warforged don't get bonus languages for high Int. That's intentional (they don't have any bonus languages listed). I spent skill points on the one I had.

Yeah, put in the wrong number in my spreadsheet. I'll probably just keep it, running out of XP for things at the moment, and will need lots of gold next level to forge some armor and my weapon familiar.

Didn't know the eye color thing, I though they stayed solid? Oh well. Carvers are probably usually that color, and may chance on rare occasion.[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral Kinsman, ready for review. Hope I didn't hold things up too badly.

[sblock]
Name: Doral Kinsman
Class: Beguiler 4
Race: Half-Elf
Hit Dice: 1d6x4, 20 HP
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 17 (10 +4 armor +3 dex)
Base Attack Bonus: +2
Grapple: +2
Attacks: Masterwork Silver Dagger +3 (1d4, 19-20 x2);
Thrown Dagger +5 (1d4, 19-20 x2, Range Increment 10)
Full Attack: Masterwork Silver Dagger +3 (1d4, 19-20 x2)
Face/Reach: 5x5/5ft
Special Qualities: Half-Elf Traits
Special Attacks: None
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Strength 10, Dexterity 16, Constitution 10, Intelligence 18 (was 17), Wisdom 8, Charisma 14
Skills: Tumble +10 (7 points), Disable Device +11, +13 w/masterwork tools (7 points), Hide +10 (7 points),
Listen +4 (4 points), Move Silently +10 (7 points), Open Locks +10, +12 w/masterwork tools (7 points),
Search +14 (+7 points), Bluff +9 (7 points), Use Magic Device +6 (4 points), Concentration +2 (2 points),
Sleight of Hand +6 (3 points), Disguise +5, +7 w/kit (3 points), Spellcraft +9 (5 points), Spot +1 (0 points),
Diplomacy +4 (0 points), Gather Information +7 (1 point)
Feats: Improved Initiative, Investigator
Action Points: 7
Languages: Common, Goblin, Elf, Dwarf
Alignment: Neutral
Deity: None
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 165 lbs

Spells:
Spells Known:
- Level 0: Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Message, Open/Close, Read Magic
- Level 1: Charm Person, Color Spray, Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, Disguise Self,
Expeditious Retreat, Hypnotism, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist, Rouse, Silent Image, Sleep, Undetectable
Alignment, Whelm
- Level 2: Blinding Color Surge, Blur, Daze Monster, Detect Thoughts, Fog Clouds, Glitterdust,
Hypnotic Pattern, Invisibility, Knock, Mirror Image, Misdirection, See Invisibility, Silence,
Spider Climb, Stay the Hand, Touch of Idiocy, Vertigo, Whelming Burst, Minor Image (advanced learning)
Spells Memorized/Spell Slots: 6/6/3

Inventory:
Mithril Shirt (1,100gp)
Masterwork Silver Dagger (322gp)
3x Daggers (for throwing) (2gp each)
Wand of Magic Missile (1st w/50 charges) (750gp)
3x Potions of Cure Light Wounds (50gp each)
Potion of Jump (50gp)
Potion of Pass Without a Trace (50gp)
Potion of Sanctuary (50gp)
Hand of the Mage (900gp)
Quaal's Feather Token, bird (300gp)
Masterwork Thieves Tools (100gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Bedroll (0.5gp)
Grappling Hook (1gp)
Small Steel Mirror (10gp)
Silk Rope (50 ft) (10gp)
Waterskin (1gp)
5x Trail Rations (5sp each)
Spyglass (1,000gp)
Tanglefoot Bag (50gp)
Traveler's Outfit (1gp)
Potion of Levitate (300gp)
Potion of Spider Climb (300gp)
Disguise Kit (10 uses) (50gp)
46gp

[/sblock]

Description
[sblock]
Doral has dark brown hair and dull gray eyes with a boyish, charming face. He is 5 feet, 5 inches tall and thin, but does not stand out in a crowd, despite his pleasing looks. In fact, he lacks distinguishing facial features and his fay-like face is hard to remember when people describe him. Doral is an extremely good listener, and people genuinely seem to enjoy telling the half-elf about their problems, though he rarely offers advice or opinion. He is quick with a joke, glows with an appreciation of life, and is always ready to offer an ear to the agitated.
[/sblock]

Brief Background
[sblock]
Of course, being a listener was part of Doral's job: a spy for Aundair. Doral was an up and coming member of the Royal Eyes, and helped infiltrate the organizations of many of Aundair's potential enemies. He was working a deep cover operation with several other Royal Eyes at Tanar Rath in Karrnath when his identity was blown. Doral Kinsman was severely injured in his escape, but he ended up being the only member of the Royal Eye team to return. Despite his prior service, jealous members of the organization suggested that Doral may have been the source of the intelligence leak. Although a trial acquitted him of guilt, his reputation was tarnished and he resigned from the Royal Eyes.

Now he wishes to conduct his own investigation into the intelligence leak on his own, but first there is the problem of revenue. Ever since he returned to Aundair Doral was removed from the government payroll. Low on the funds he knows he will need to work the case on his own, he now seeks to raise money as a freelancer. Always the realist, Doral accepts that he will have to create a new life for himself before he can pursue revenge.
[/sblock]

The Long Story
[sblock]
"Move fast, Doral," Sylla whispered to me as she squeezed my hand. She threw one last wink my way, then went into the hallway to join Zax.

I watched her go out the door, enjoying the swaying of her hips. Sylla, like myself and Zax, was a member of the Royal Eyes, the greatest espionage organization in the Five Nations. Her specialities lied in seduction and potions, as the sleeping body of Captain Manash attested.

The Royal Eyes had sent us to intercept messages coming from the Karrnath court to the captain of Tanar Rath. The three of us had taken jobs as servants at the garrison. Zax worked as a smith, I as a cook for the keep, and Sylla as a maid. Zax and I were the first to find signs of a troop build-up in the area, as extra food and materials were ordered for the garrison. I became friends with many of the soldiers, playing the occasional dice with them and making conversation with those that would come to the kitchen. Zax was busier creating weapons to be used by the undead and the living soldiers of Karrnath, although this was a clear indication that the forces of the garrison were about to be increased. Coded messages from the Royal Eyes began to stress the importance of discovering what was going on.

It was Sylla who was the most successful. After a few 'accidental' encounters in the hallway with Captain Manash, she succeeded in earning a visit to his room and seducing him. After a few days he confided to her that he received daily messages from the court, trying to impress her with boasts of his own importance. Sylla was unable to open his locked drawer in order to read the notes, which was more of my specialty. It was this that led us to a daring plan. Sylla drank and ate with Captain Manash every night before other activities. He tended to drink heavily, and supposedly had a low stanima, causing him to sleep deeply. Sylla would send a servant down with an order of food for the pair each night, giving me an excuse to enter their room. As this pattern became familiar, we decided to strike after Sylla sent a magical message to our contact in the Royal Eyes.

Sylla added a potion to Captain Manash's drink one night, causing him to doze. Soon after she sent a servant boy she found in the hallway to fetch me with an order for dinner and to give Zax a copper coin she owed him. On this signal, I came up with my tray of food, Zax accompanying me. Sylla and Zax were to talk outside Captain Manash's door while I was to unlock the drawer with the notes, read them, and copy down any vital pieces of information.

I put the tray down, and took out some of my 'special' tools. As I worked, I unsuccessfully tried to remove thoughts of Sylla and concentrate on the task at hand. I only found a simple poison needle trap, which was a good sign. Disabling it, I continued working as my thoughts drifted.

Why have I been having stronger fits of jealousy? She was a pretty woman, but there were more beautiful ladies in the world. Yet something about the way she touched my shoulder when she needed to talk... the way she smiled at me as if everything I said was important... the way she stood close... "Concentrate, fool," I told myself as I thought about the way she smelled. I could feel the latch give way.

As I opened the chest I could hear an argument begin outside the door as Zax and Sylla told someone that Captain Manash was sleeping and needed his rest. I suppose the answer didn't satisfy whoever they were talking to, as I heard the sounds of scuffling outside. I scrambled to reset the trap and to hide my tools, but the door was kicked in by a large man in black armor just as I picked my tray back up. He was followed by a smaller man with a nasal voice that I recognized as Manash's orderly.

"The other spy," the orderly yelled, pointing at me.

My blood ran cold as I could see several soldiers standing with weapons outside. Zax lay on the floor unmoving in a pool of blood. Sylla had her hands held and was flanked by soldiers on each side. Thinking quickly, I cast a charm on the orderly and said, "Spy, sir? Please, I'm not sure what these two did, but I just came up to deliver the lord's food." Escape now, get Sylla and Zax (if still alive) out later.

Confusion appeared on the orderly's face. "I'm sorry Doral, but someone has recently informed me of the most vicious rumors about you." The man in black armor gave the orderly a frown of surprise.

"Who said these things about me, sir," I asked indignantly. Was my cover blown?

The black armored man was smarter than I gave him credit. "Enough," he bellowed, interrupting the conversation. He moved forward and gripped me by the collar, tossing me out of the room, where I skidded across the floor and slid against the hallway wall. He was a strong one. Through my ringing head I could hear the orderly try to stop him, telling him I may be innocent.

My head cleared as the man came at me again, sword drawn. I tumbled out of the way, pulling a knife and slicing the arm of a soldier holding Sylla. He grunted in pain, but did not release his grip on her. I couldn't get her out. Nor could I allow her to be captured. I was sure Zax was dead, so he could not tell any secrets. I still might be able to escape. There was only one thing left to do, I realized, as I held a tighter grip on the knife.

Sylla must have realized what was on my mind. "No," she begged sadly, looking into my eyes. If she had stood bravely, I could have finished her rather than allowed her to be put to the question. But as I looked into those pleading eyes, my resolve broke. All this in the space of the six longest seconds of my life.

I cast one more spell, making myself disappear to the group of enclosing soldiers. Even Sylla gasped in surprise and began to look around wildly. I always kept my magical abilities secret, even to friends.

Next, I did the only thing I could. I ran.

After I returned to Aundair, I knew my career was over. Not only had the mission failed, but I had allowed an agent to be captured. The information about a troop build-up could not be confirmed, and an attack never materialized anyway, causing others to question my skills. Supposedly, Karrnath was also using the incident to privately blackmail small concessions from the Aundair court. Perhaps Sylla talked after all. As I sat, waiting for my trial to condemn or exhonerate me, I used the time I have to gather my thoughts and have come to this realization: we were betrayed.

It's only a feeling, but I can't figure out how we were captured so easily and during the act. I could make the accusation and ask for an investigation, but who would I trust? Perhaps it would be better to walk away if I'm not hung. To disappear for awhile in a different land, like a man broken and wandering. Let them forget me while I gather my own resources. Then I can return when they have grown lazy and content, unsuspecting of the man bearing down on them.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Ringmereth

First Post
Comments, round two.

Deuce:
[sblock]The biggest problem right now with Doral is that he's six points over the 33 point buy limit. Since bringing him back down to 33 is going to require reducing a few modifiers, I'll wait to make other corrections to your sheet until you revise this.

Regarding your inventory, you have an additional 92 gp to spend or save, as you wish.[/sblock]

Bront:
[sblock]Whoops, forgot about the bonus languages exception. Everything else looks fine.[/sblock]

stonegod:
[sblock]After taking a look at other races and your link, particularly its section on the fun of playing (and rooting for) an underdog, I've decided against radical revisions (like giving a +2 Int bonus, which would bring your Kobold up to a +1 LA, at least by WotC's logic). However, I still think he needs a bit of a boost, and given the long period of time Vhir's spent above ground, getting rid of his light sensitivity is a sensible revision. I also decided that he needed something to reflect his race's cleverness, and skill points seem an appropriate form, especially for a warlock with only two per level. Therefore, Vhir can take an extra skill point each level, as per humans' racial ability.[/sblock]

stonegod

[sblock=Ringmereth]
Ringmereth said:
stonegod:
After taking a look at other races and your link, particularly its section on the fun of playing (and rooting for) an underdog, I've decided against radical revisions (like giving a +2 Int bonus, which would bring your Kobold up to a +1 LA, at least by WotC's logic). However, I still think he needs a bit of a boost, and given the long period of time Vhir's spent above ground, getting rid of his light sensitivity is a sensible revision. I also decided that he needed something to reflect his race's cleverness, and skill points seem an appropriate form, especially for a warlock with only two per level. Therefore, Vhir can take an extra skill point each level, as per humans' racial ability.
Than'ye sai. I have updated Vhir appropriately (1 rank in Spellcraft [representing his failed training] and 6 in UMD [representing his innate ability to fake what he didn't learn].)[/sblock]

James Heard

Explorer
I've got a lot to work to do before my company comes for tomorrow night, but I should be able to fix everything on time. As for the questions and such, I simply don't know. I knocked out the fighter build and story background mostly as an afterthought in a hurry. I'm going to try to finish prepping all the stuff that can be prepped, enjoy my afternoon tomorrow, watch the fireworks, and since there are small children involved I don't anticipate anyone staying late enough to throw me off.

On the other hand, if I knock out my chopping and boiling cool-ness and muster a second wind later on tonight+insomnia, who knows what I'll be able to accomplish? ;)

Remove ads