The Game of Kings

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral nods at Partash in thanks. "I agree that I could use a few hours of rest to recharge, but the fact that those guards came close to this building makes me wonder if we shouldn't just move while we still have the advantage of darkness and since we are causing them to react to us instead of vice versa. Still, we'll likely need you at full strength. We can rest while someone guards our tied up new friend. We might not have to kill him either, since it's likely that his employer will want to kill him when he finds out that he was a snitch. At this point, it's in his best interest that we succeed, or at least distract the Prince long enough for him to get out of town. That is...after he wakes up from us knocking him out again."

Doral walks up to the bound bugbear and speaks directly to him, removing his dagger from the folds of his clothes. "Unless you would prefer for us to kill you quickly. You won't enjoy your life once the Prince or his surviving allies chase down those responsible for the coming fiasco, and I can understand it if you want to choose the easy way out."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The kobold looks at the bugbear one last time, the turns around as if it has stopped existing. It looks at Partash. "Rest will only give our enemies more time, but if resting will be the difference between success and failure, so be it. It can give our wizard here more time to prepare more... appropriate powers." He looks over to the hungover shifter. "And give others time to... recover. But, it may be best to move to another location if this one is suspect. Getting interrupted will do the sleeping little good."

Deuce Traveler said:
Doral walks up to the bound bugbear and speaks directly to him, removing his dagger from the folds of his clothes. "Unless you would prefer for us to kill you quickly. You won't enjoy your life once the Prince or his surviving allies chase down those responsible for the coming fiasco, and I can understand it if you want to choose the easy way out."
There is a glint in the kobold's eyes at Doral's words. It turns once again towards the bound creature, a waiting look on its face.

MadMaxim

First Post
Partash responds to the kobold's question: "I believe it will make a difference between succes and failure... My assistance is limited if I can't channel the magic of my gods."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral nods to Partash, "Very well, then. Let us and Glasia rest and restore our powers upstairs. We need to have a watch by both our window and the prisoner. Carver, I'm not sure if you need to rest, but can you watch our 'guest' and make sure he doesn't escape until we are ready to let him go. We might as all get comfortable, my friends. We'll be here for a few hours." Looking at the bugbear he grabs a gag and approaches him and adds, "You don't have to answer my question right away. Think upon it." If he doesn't have an answer now, Doral will gag him and while concentrating on his thoughts.

Dark_Jackalope

First Post
The bugbear’s anxious and desperate eyes watched Doral approach him. As the beguiler raised the gag, he blurted out stumblingly, “I ain' keen fer' dyin' yet. Skippin' town's no pro'lem 'ere, an' th' Prince won't be worried 'bout his own, long as he thinks o' gettin' yer head onna pike.” The bugbear’s glance slid towards the kobold as he spoke, but then snapped back towards Doral, saying with eager reassurance, “Some ship or 'nother can take me."

His hopeful look lingered another moment, but then faded as Vhir looked away and Doral bound the gag across his mouth. He seemed resigned, but he still sat tensely upright even after the group started to wander away.

[sblock="Doral:"]Dol Dorn bless 'em... if they don' finish the Prince or come damn close--why in Khyber did I 'ave t' find them bleedin' spies?[/sblock]
Everyone made their way up the worn stairs in the back room, filing past a bugbear meat-deprived Dragen. The upper apartment was modest, with two bedrooms and a small communal room. The group quickly and quietly found a place to pass what remained of the night, exchanged a few civilities, and then let the hours wash by.

Carver, home for the first time in a long while, nonetheless dutifully watched their captive whilst reminiscently poking about the shop at the various materials and items, at one point deciding to dust the quiet store. Throughout the night, a pair of city guards on their rounds would occasionally pass by the storefront, but none slowed or paid any heed to the building.

Somewhere in the dark hours between night and morning, the rain stopped. Soon after, windows flickered to life one by one with muted candlelight in apartments all down the street. Dawn came very cautiously to the sky, slowly paling from deepest night-velvet to a watery blue, but never warmed with any yellows or pinks that Carver could see from the north-facing shop.

As the dawn emerged from between buildings and behind rooftops, fishermen emerged from their homes and migrated towards the wharves. A chill fog rolled up from the sea to greet them, pouring through the city streets as it did every morning. The seagulls stirred excitedly, filling the air with their distant shrill calls. By the time the light was strong enough to reach down into the bottom of the high and narrow spaces between buildings and begin to warm the cold stone streets, the city had woken, and was alive with the sounds of merchants and shoppers, sailors’ wives gathering on corners to chat, and the mingled chorus of children and dogs.

The bugbear was awake too now, and sat staring silently out into the street, watching the thin flow of townsfolk wandering down this particular street. In the apartment above, the others began to stir, having finally gained a full night’s rest. They gathered again in the shop, concealed both by the grimy windows and the passersby’s apathy to the forgotten establishment.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral wakes, takes out some of his trail rations, and chews on some of the dried meat. As he thinks thoughtfully to himself, he takes out his spyglass and observes the streets for signs of soldiers and other threatening activity.

Once satisfied, the beguiler quietly checks his equipment, taking pains to avoid making loud noises that may wake any still-sleeping companions, and walks down to visit Carver. "I'm sure it must be good to be home, my friend, despite the circumstances. We'll knock out our new friend and be on our way soon enough," he says, taking his waterskin out and enjoying a sip.

MadMaxim

First Post
Partash wakes up from his dreamless slumber, sits up and looks around the room. Doral is already up. The kalashtar crosses his legs and makes strange gestures with his hands as he prays to il-Yannah to show him the way of enlightenment. He whispers in quori: "Fill me with the wisdom and strength to vanquish my wicked kindred spirits of Dal Quor. May the light shatter their hideous forms and usher a new and peaceful era for our people. Grant me endurance to face whatever evil they conjure up and help me become a worthy friend of my allies. Please assist us in our quest and let your light shine upon our path so that we may take the right one."

After his prayer, he puts on his clothes and armor and picks up all of his other belongings. He breaks out a trail ration and eats it, though his enjoyment concerning the meal is rather limited, but it serves its purpose of filling his stomach.

Afterwards, he walks down the stairs and looks for the bugbear and Carver. "Good morning, gentlemen."

OOC: Partash prepares the same spells that he had prepared for yesterday.

Remove ads