The Game of Kings

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"My colleague is correct. We are not vagabonds, sir. Look, I'll gather up the uneaten portions of our 'picnic' and return it to the bag. Who is coming on board, captain, and what are the proper customs and courtesies when greeting them?" Doran moves to clean up as he speaks.

Bront

The man with the probe
"Realy? Do often transport loads of street wretches? That seems like an odd cargo. Does it pay well?" Carver asks inquisitively, looking up from the potions he has been examining.

OOC: I never did get an answer on aquiring materials for crafting.

MadMaxim

First Post
"Carver, I don't think he meant that they usually transport street wretches on this ship. He meant that we should behave like we're paying customers and not eat on the deck but eat below deck. It's seemingly inappropriate to eat on the deck when important customers are about to get onboard." Then he comes to think of the little rabbit figure that the warforged showed him.

"By the way, Carver. I'd gladly receive the little figure you made. It would bring back fond memories of us working together. I'll even pay you for it, if you need gold for more materials."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Morika looks at the captain with a stern and unblinking gaze. She seriously considers his counteroffer for a moment, then looks over at the wide expanse of water. Naw, swimming would take too long, she thinks finally. "Fine then. We'll eat later. But I'm not going below deck," she says firmly. Closed spaces gave her the willies, she preferred to be able to see the sky. Not that she wouldn't enter them if she absolutely had to, but no pompous man would dictate to her where she would go.

James Heard

Explorer
Dragen merely looked over his shoulder coolly at the man's bluster, and continued to polish his bow from his place apart from the rest of the party at the front of the ship.

"I'd hate for it to come to that. I don't swim, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea with all those corpses of sailors in the water either," he said without inflection, merely assessing the situation, the swift motions of the rag never faltering.

"But..." he paused, "I understand your assessment of my appearance."

Sliding off the tattered cottons of his outer garments, he kicked them overboard and left himself in the brightly-oiled goblin-made armor. He straightened, still polishing the bow.

"Normally I don't like to let it be exposed to too much sunlight, much less salt air, but at least dwarves might have some appreciation of just how hard it was to get the bloodstains out of it in the first place."

Bront

The man with the probe
"Oh, that makes sense I guess," Carver says, not sounding too convinced.

He pulls out the Rabbit carving again and offers it to Parlinor. "I'm just glad to share. The materials cost but a few silvers, and it occupies my time."

MadMaxim

First Post
Partash picks up the rabbit figurine and studies it carefully from different angles. "That's a nice piece of craftsmanship, Carver. You certainly have talent in that regard. You could open a small business selling these or perhaps carve on demand, so to speak."

He wraps it in a piece of cloth and puts it in his backpack. "Thank you. I'll take good care of it."

Bront

The man with the probe
"I'm glad you like it. Business never when well after Bim died though. I'm not sure why though, because i tried, and learned much of what I know of crafting from him." Carver says. "Besides, other than for getting materials to make things, I'm not sure what I would use money for anyway. People get upset when I melt it for raw materials."

Dark_Jackalope

First Post
The captain blinked and snapped his attention to the kobold, obviously surprised to find him speaking for the group. He quickly assessed the others’ responses, watching the half-elf begin to gather the baskets before turning back to the confident and calm-sounding kobold.

“Mmph. I don’ mean to be ‘less than impressive’, but these dwarves ah’ very importin’ guests of th’ Prince himself. And firs’ impressions are very importin’ too, so if you don’ mind, I’d like to have a tidy and proper lookin’ ship when they come aboard. Which looks like it’s gonna be real soon.”

He craned his neck to peer over onto the dock, where a group of eight dwarves in fine yet still quite practical clothes were milling in a tightly packed group. The best dressed, and clear leader, was standing aloof and discussing something with his two associates. The others, dressed somewhat less lavish traveler’s clothes, were helping unload a series of trunks and other luggage from their hired wagon, while one inquired of the boarding-guards as to where onboard the luggage should be taken.

The captain then stepped, or rather swirled, down the companionway and strode over to the kobold and the half-elf who was somehow packing three rather large baskets into a considerably smaller purple bag. He spoke to the kobold, because he preferred to deal through authority, even though he was answering the half-elf’s questions.

“But forgive me my harried temp’r. I’m Captin’ Gorbrekken, and tha’ man who just spoke to me was me first mate, Wilsbree. And yeh, these dwarves are indeed from th’ House Kundarak. Our Prince Kolberkon invit’d ‘em to come to Port Verge as his most ‘onorable guests, to see if they’d like tah open a branch o’ the Kundarak bank in our growin’ city. Y’see, th’ Prince is very keen on growin’ Port Verge’s import’nce to match that of Regalport,” –he jerked his head eastward– “an’ maybe even someday passing it. So, yeh can see why I’m so worried at th’ momen’ about getting’ this right. An' if you want the be ‘elpful, either take yer luncheon below, or stay up on deck if ye must, but remember yah c’rtesy an’ good manners. These ah members o’ the House itself right ‘ere.”

At this point, a few more crew members had already emerged from below deck and gone to help the laymen dwarves to carry the trunks. Gorbrekken caught one of them, speaking in a quick and commanding tone:

“You there. You, show any ah these ‘uns who are goin’ below where their quart’rs are.” He then immediately turned on the heels of his freshly-polished but hopelessly worn and aged boots, and rustled down the gangplank to greet his most distinguished passengers.

[sblock="OOC: Crafting Rules"]After conferring with Ringmereth, we have decided to establish some slightly off-book house rules on crafting:

• You must have both the necessary tools and working space in which to craft. The ship is fine, but you can't just work anywhere.
  • You may split the crafting-time for an item into day increments, but you still need to be able to put in an entire eight hours work for each day. (For example, an item which would normally take two days to be crafted can be worked on for eight hours one day, then carried around in a half-finished and completely functionless form and finished on any later day.)
  • However, you must have all the necessary XP and materials for the project at the beginning, not just enough to do one day's worth. All the required XP and materials are then removed from your pool and inventory, and you would then possess a "Third-Finished ____" (or like such) of equal weight which you must carry around.
  • Finally, as above, you must actually possess the required materials, not just their gold equivalent.

By my calculations... it doesn't look like you can make a HHH this trip. Sorry about that.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
"Good day Captain, I'm Carver Banderelli," Carver says, quite happy the captain is being nice now. "Is there some way I could get a tour of the ship? I find this whole thing marvelous. I was found on an oceanside, so I've always been facinated by ships and things that float on the water. I think I'll carve a small boat next, maybe even a replica of this one. But I think I'd like a tour first. So may I?"
[sblock=OOC]As long as I get a chance to craft off and on between levels and such, otherwise the Artifacer is neutered somewhat. XP is the big issue at the moment since we started at L4, and I'm only 54 short, but oh well.

On the other hand, if you don't mind, Carver is going to assume to be carrying around bits of wood to carve off and on, and occasionaly make something. It's more an RP thing, as it wouldn't be worth much nor does he sell them. Of course, that was part of the point of the HHH, so I didn't have to worry about carrying it all, but no big deal, he's already in heavy armor.

Also, I'll likely be carrying around some generic alchemy and scroll stuff so I can just rip those out easily, assuming you don't mind. I guess I can pay in advance for that, probably once I arive in Port Verge.[/sblock]

Remove ads