• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Gnome Poll

Gnome practices, gnome desires (MULTI CHOICE)

• Have you ever played a Gnome PC?

Votes: 179 51.7%
  • Have you ever used a Gnome NPC?

Votes: 228 65.9%
  • Would you like to run a Gnome PC?

Votes: 161 46.5%
  • Would you like use Gnome NPCs?

Votes: 185 53.5%
  • Do you NEVER want to use/play gnomes?

Votes: 69 19.9%
  • Would you only use/play gnomes if they somehow got better?

Votes: 55 15.9%
  • EMONG!!

Votes: 58 16.8%

• Poll closed .

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Doug McCrae said:
This poll is very flawed. I think gnomes are the worst race concept in the PHB and should be replaced by any number of alternatives such as drow or catfolk, but that doesn't mean I would never play or use one. But your poll would, if I answered truthfully, make me look like a damn dirty gnome supporter.

The real question should be - Should gnomes be in PHB1?

Is this your idea of a "meh" response to gnomes?

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Wormwood said:
You forgot the "Have you never used a Gnome PC" option.

edit: Because the current "Never" option is a little strongly worded.

I haven't taken an anti-Gnome vow . . . I just don't care about them and I don't see them in play.
Ditto.

But, since that option wasn't available I have made my position to bemore extreme, now I never want gnomes.

Last edited:

Moggthegob

First Post
I have to admit..I'm a gnome-a-holic. I have played exclusively gnomes for 13 consecutive characters, excluding play-by-post eberron, which makes playing human not boring.

Not only that, but it is a buying point for me, and I will not be sending patronage to wizards for leavign them out.

Last edited:

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Wormwood said:
I haven't taken an anti-Gnome vow . . . I just don't care about them and I don't see them in play.
Same here. A player of mine used a gnome a couple of times, but I just assume not worry about them.

Cryptos

First Post
Most of my "gnome experience" comes from either trying to make uncommon race/class combos out of amusement (ie, Gnome Barbarian) and then never playing them - messing around with game mechanics - or using or encountering them as NPCs.

I'm not anti-gnome, I've just never related to them very well. I feel more like I could understand and portray a dwarf, an elf, even a human (well, not so much humans. :lol: ). But I've just never 'felt' like a gnome or quite grasped how a gnome would feel without resorting to stereotypes verbatim from one source or another.

In response to the question above, I suppose I *could* find my way around to playing a "Malcolm McDowell gnome" (loved the way he made the main character of Fantasy Island into a twisted "be careful what you wish for" type with demonic undertones, very underrated show) but then I ask myself, why not play a "Malcolm McDowell human" or a "Malcolm McDowell tiefling"? It's not the overall race traits and race personality traits, it's whether or not a feel I could play a unique individual that's believable as a member of that race. And would I want to, in lieu of a unique individual of another race?

Hairfoot

First Post
I've really wanted to like gnomes, but can't find the right flavour. I actually think they're better suited to D20 Modern campaigns, where their technical aptitude and physical toughness would make them great special forces/sniper characters.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
I played a whisper gnome once.

At first level we encountered a CR6 or 7 trap with no way of disarming it or bypassing it, and 7 of the 8 PCs died, the last stabilized and woke up hours later. My gnome rogue was paralyzed the whole time, and had no chance of surviving. :\

I've been in a group with 3 gnomes, my half-elf was the tallest one in the party, except for the human fighter that hardly ever showed up. (huge group, like 12-15 players rotating in, with 5-6 of them being consistent) Best campaign ever.

Remove ads