The Golden Key: From the Casebook of Nigel Spenser (Updated 9/16)

Nice start to the new adventure. Looking forward to how this unfolds.

Kid Charlemagne said:
"…Five hundred pounds, per person, per week, does that sound acceptable?"

Crikey, I should say so!! 500 pounds would have a been a decent annual wage in (RL) Victorian England, never mind a weekly wage. :D

Seriously, I understand the simplicity of not trying to replicate real costs/income, and I take it you've gone for a straight 1 gp = 1 pound? Out of curiousity though, can I ask, have you gone for 20 shillings (sp) to the pound and 12 pennies (cp) to the shilling, or has the UK gone decimal 100 years ahead of time? (it would have made my childhood maths classes simpler if we really had! ;) )

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Yeah, we're going for a straight 1 pound = 1 gold conversion, and decimal. Though really, we could easily go 20 shillings to the pound and more or less ignore pence altogether. But we're never forget ---> lazy american here. :D

eris404

Explorer
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
Crikey, I should say so!! 500 pounds would have a been a decent annual wage in (RL) Victorian England, never mind a weekly wage. Seriously, I understand the simplicity of not trying to replicate real costs/income, and I take it you've gone for a straight 1 gp = 1 pound?

Well, that's D&D economics for you. The flavor of the setting might be a little different, but at the end of the day, it's still D&D. :D

HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
Out of curiousity though, can I ask, have you gone for 20 shillings (sp) to the pound and 12 pennies (cp) to the shilling, or has the UK gone decimal 100 years ahead of time? (it would have made my childhood maths classes simpler if we really had! ;) )

NO. Besides just being easier to use the decimal system, the older exchange rates brought back bad memories of 1st Edition currency. There are many things from 1st Edition I have fond memories of and the currency is not one of them.

Kid Charlemagne

Hairball said:
Bump.

Hi guys, any more updates?

I was just thinking about this this past weekend - we played Saturday. I'm only actually about 4 or 5 sessions behind the current game; we only play about once a month. The last two sessions saw a spectacular running fight to kick off what will be the next adventure after the Mystery of the Origami Golem is solved; that new adventure will be The Flight of the Queen Victoria. I think I can probably get an update or two written up this coming weekend, as I have no gaming going on at all.

Kid Charlemagne

The next morning, Nigel put all thought of the odd behavior of the sugar bowl out of his mind. Such a thing could not have happened, he decided. A trick of the light must have been the cause of his momentary confusion. He descended the stairs to the Dromidal's kitchen, poured himself a cup of tea, and returned to the third floor where Orla, Artimis, and Amanda were waiting, yawning, having been up all night watching the house during the wee hours.

"You'll never guess what I saw last night," Orla began.

"Oh, dear," said Nigel. "What?"

"A floppy woman's hat."

Nigel paused. "Is there any particular reason that such an object would be worthy of bringing to our attention?"

"When it suddenly appears out of nowhere, yes."

"Start from the beginning," Nigel replied.

"I was in the sideroom, where Mr. Turner's body was found," Orla began. "I had walked through the room several times, and was about to start down the hall towards the kitchen when something caught my eye."

"A fine example of London haberdashery?" asked Amanda.

"Well, I'm not sure how fine it was," Orla replied. "But there it was; a floppy, dark woman's hat. And it hadn't been there just a couple of seconds before when I passed the writing desk it was sitting on. I poked it with a pair of scissors. Nothing. I poked it with my hand… nothing. So, I…"

"You didn't," Cass said, reprovingly.

Orla's face flushed red

"I, uh, put it on. And it vanished."

"Poof."

Amanda shook her head. "Things like this never happen to me. Of course, I wouldn't have put on the haunted hat."

Nigel cleared his throat.

"I saw something odd during my rounds yesterday evening before we changed watches."

He told them of the ambulatory sugar dish.

Seeing that his fellow investigators seemed increasingly skeptical of both Nigel and Orla, Artimis pulled something out of his pocket.

"I, on the other hand, have something of a little more substantial nature. Or at least, something that actually physically exists, which is a step up."

He displayed a plain white handkerchief, and unfolded it. Hidden within was a single, unblemished, human tooth.

"I was on the third floor watching from a window when I saw Mai leave the house in the dark of the night. She went out to the fountain in the garden, and was working there for a few minutes, digging a small hole in the ground. I waited until she was done, and went to where she was digging. It was easy to find. I dug down myself, and found this."

"Alright," Nigel said, "but what is it? I mean, what is its significance?"

"Maybe some sort of controlling magic?" Orla offered. "Are any of the household missing a molar?"

"I don't think so," answered Artimis. "I think I would have noticed. But I think its clear Mai is up to some kind of magic. The only question is to what end?"

"We'll want to keep Mai in our sights, then. Make sure she isn't up to any mischief," Nigel said.

"She won't have the time to be," Amanda replied.

"Why is that?"

"Because she'll be busy all day cooking. Lady Dromidal has gotten it into her head that all the excitement warrants having a dinner party this evening. She's invited guests and everything. The butler was just mentioning it to Mai downstairs. She was cursing up a storm. Or at least I presume she was cursing up a storm, I suppose she could have been reciting Biblical passages in Japanese, for all I know. Vehemently."

Nigel was looking out the window, and something caught his eye. He peered intently at the street outside.

"We should let Scotland Yard know," Orla said. "They might know something about Mai."

"We'll have the chance," Nigel said, as the doorbell rang below them. "That's Inspector Bennett there."

The investigators hurried down the stairs, joining the Inspector and Cecilia in the dining room.

"We have good news," Nigel said. "We are making progress in our investigations."

"My news is not so good," Bennett replied. "There has been another murder."

Kid Charlemagne

"His name was Stefan Klimt. Austrian by birth, he's lived in London for some time now. He's an art dealer, and owns an art gallery in a fashionable part of town. Mostly deals in French painters, the kind where they splash paint up on a canvas and call it art."

Inspector Bennett continued as they entered the Klimt property. "He is apparently wealthy, but robbery does not seem to be a motive. There is no sign of forced entry, and nothing is obviously missing, though it will take a little time to be clear on that point."

Inspector Bennett, Nigel, Artimis, Orla and Sandor came around the back of the house; a large, tasteful home in the French style, and came upon a small cadre of detectives milling about the crime scene. Stefan Klimt's body lay face down on the ground, directly under a balcony. Cass and Amanda stayed behind to guard the Dromidal house and keep an eye on Mai.

"He fell from up there," Bennett indicated.

"Was he pushed?" Orla asked. "Are you sure it wasn't an accident?"

"Well," Bennett replied, "the knife in his back does suggest murder."

As he waved off the throng of constables surrounding the body, they could now see clearly that Klimt had not met with an accident. A knife protruded from the space between his shoulder blades. He wore a dressing gown and slippers. Nigel entered the house and ran up the stairs to the balcony above, followed by the others. He stepped out of the French doors onto the balcony, which were still open.

"If he was standing here, the murderer must have been right behind him in this room," Nigel mused.

"No," Sandor shook his head. "There."

He pointed directly behind Nigel in a straight line to a wardrobe. The door was ajar.

"Ah. So the killer lay in wait here, and then killed Klimt when the opportunity presented itself."

They stayed for a few hours, looking for further clues, but as none seemed to be in a hurry to present themselves, they returned to the Dromidal house around noon.

After an afternoon punctuated by the occasional outburst from Lady Dromidal, and Artimis interrupting Mai on occasion to suggest she serve raw fish instead of the scheduled ham and potatoes, guest began to arrive for dinner.

Much to Nigel's relief, the guest list turned out to be rather small. Lady Dromidal did not have a great many friends, not being at the top of the social list for some years now. The first to arrive was Miss Guesenholt and her nephew, a young man of about twenty-five named Ned. The other guest was a rather obnoxious fellow by the name of Stewardsfield, who Lady Dromidal clearly intended as a potential match for her daughter.

This seemed to irk Orla, and not to please Cecilia, either. As the dinner progressed, Orla missed no opportunity to dig into Mr. Stewardsfield.

Nigel scarcely noticed. The vague sense of discomfort that had been with him since he noticed the odd behavior of the sugar bowl the previous night was growing ever more pervasive. He felt some sort of presence in the room beyond those seated at dinner, but could not put his finger on it. The room seemed to darken, and the candles flickered, but no one else seemed to notice. It wasn't until Cecilia rose abruptly from the table, practically in tears, that he realized that Oral had been asking about a particularly gruesome painting hanging on the wall opposite from her. He turned slowly to look at the painting, and saw only a blank wall, filled with hideous yellow wallpaper.

Something must be causing this to happen, he thought to himself. We are all experiencing different hallucinations and hauntings…

Nigel carefully drew a wand from inside his coat. It had been one of his first purchases upon successfully solving his first case for Lloyd's of London. He surreptitiously passed it over his food.

Nothing, he thought. The food is not poisoned in any manner.

What Nigel wanted to try next he could not manage without creating a stir at the table. He rose from his chair, and walked over to Orla's side, taking her arm gently.

"I apologize for my friend's behavior," he explained. "She's had a bit much more to drink than she should."

He led her out from the room and into the hall.

"Pull yourself together," he whispered urgently. "Something is going on!"

'Yeah, that Stewardsfield is a prick!"

"I think Cecilia took offense at your baiting him. You should go apologize."

Orla stuck out her tongue at Nigel like a five-year-old, spun on her heels, and marched upstairs. Nigel shook his head to clear the cobwebs. He felt like he had drunk a whole bottle of wine, but his glass was only half-empty. Orla's, for that matter, had scarcely been touched.

Nigel waited before returning to the dining room. He had been working on some small tricks of a magical nature, things to aid in his investigations. He had one such in mind, a simple incantation to reveal the presence of evil, and he cast it now, as quietly as he could.

He stepped back into the doorway of the dining room. It seemed clear that dinner was over, and the guests were getting ready to make a hasty departure. Nigel felt a strong impression, like the beginning of a migraine headache. It was as if he were seeing stars, or…

Yes. Something evil is present here in this room.

The presence resolved itself into two separate forms. Nigel forced himself to continue concentrating until one of the two presences, it became clear, emanated from beneath the floorboards.

Nigel turned towards the other presence to identify its location, and then suddenly dropped the spell, in shock.

It was Lady Dromidal.

Fimmtiu

First Post
The plot thickens! Not unlike oatmeal.

You know, Lady D might just be garden-variety small 'e' evil. The sort of person who kicks puppies, say, but not necessarily involved with a murderous plot. Or was it an overwhelming aura?

Kid Charlemagne

Fimmtiu said:
The plot thickens! Not unlike oatmeal.

You know, Lady D might just be garden-variety small 'e' evil. The sort of person who kicks puppies, say, but not necessarily involved with a murderous plot. Or was it an overwhelming aura?

As I recall, it was not an overwhelming evil, by any means. I think the other aura was stronger, or at least in retrospect, I think it would have been. In reality, I think I forgot to ask... :)

BTW, I fell short of my plan, I had intended to write one update each day this weekend (Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday), but only wrote two. I'll try and do one more this week.

eris404

Explorer
Hey, Kid, these are great! I actually laughed outloud at a couple of parts. Do you write down exactly what Marsha says or did you just approximate it - either way, it sounds exactly like some things she would say in character (Marsha plays Amanda).

Two points though:

1. Cecilia is Lady Dromidal's granddaughter (You had daughter in one post).

2. Actually I remember that you did ask about the strengths of the "evils" because I actually had to look up the description of the spell to make sure. You are correct - Lady Dromidal's aura is very weak, especially in comparison to the second aura.

Remove ads