The Great Crusade

DrZombie

First Post
Night has fallen over the city. Slyth and Aridha make their way to a bad part of town. The torches become more spread-out, and finally none are to be seen. Those that still travel do so in groups.
Finally they reach a small house in an alleyway. The padlock and less visible telltales all seem intact, and after a furtive look around they enter.

muggie2

First Post
Night has fallen over the city. Slyth and Aridha make their way to a bad part of town. The torches become more spread-out, and finally none are to be seen. Those that still travel do so in groups.
Finally they reach a small house in an alleyway. The padlock and less visible telltales all seem intact, and after a furtive look around they enter.

The small entranceway is cramped and dingy, with a boards nailed to the wall to make a makeshift shoe shelf. There are two pairs of slippers on it. Slyth puts the padlock from the outside onto the inside of the door. It's obvious that security is just as much of a problem with the inhabitants at home as when they're away.
He lights a lantern, and leads the way into the inner room.
The difference from the outside is unbelievable. At the far side of the room is what appears to be a throne made of dark wood and inlaid with gold, behind it a tapestry which covers the wall from ceiling to floor, at least 8 feet wide. On a bench to the left are a number of items of jewelry, made of silver and gold, some with gems. The bed to the right seems utilitarian by comparison, and the weapons on the wall behind seem very plain.
Slyth chuckles at Shayuri's reaction to the contents of the room.
"Nothing's finished right now, but it's coming along nicely. Take this throne, for example. The stain has settled into the wood, and I just need to add fake wear patterns. The 'gold' is brass. It was actually on a completely different chair originally, and I just removed it and put it on here. When I have enough real gold, I'll add a layer of it over the brass, the way it was when it was made. When they check it, it's real gold. When it eventually wears off, the brass that's exposed will look like the gold it's supposed to be. Its age will triple its apparent value at least, and it'll be kept hidden away by it's owner for years. By the time normal wear and tear takes its toll, I'll probably be dead. Already have a mark lined up for it, even if he's not aware of it yet. Strange thing is that the chair itself really is an antique, but the colors are out of fashion this decade. Just had to add a lightly tinted oil stain to bring out the pattern of the wood, and, hey presto!"
He gestures at the tapestry.
"See that? Genuine. Old, and a bit tatty, but real. Once I fix it up, add some additional material to it, fix the moth-eat bit on the bottom right, it'll be worth a small fortune. Swapped two newly made tapestries to the lady of the house, no, don't ask me which House, for the old ones and some coin. Modernizing, don't you know. Got the original chair for the throne from the same place. Sold one of the old tapestries already to a newly raised minor House who wanted an old tapestry to show their ancient roots, even though they're just jumped-up merchants in reality. I was thinking about selling the throne to the same House, but they might get suspicious."
He waves at the jewelry.
"See that? All genuine worn-out pieces disposed of by me on behalf of noble families fallen on hard times. Sadly, they couldn't get much money from them, on account of their condition, but they were so grateful for what I could get. Now, with a little work, I can fix them up, replace damaged gems, smooth out scratches and repair damaged inlays. Then I'll sell them for probably four time what I paid for them, and because of how well I've fixed them up, even the nobles who sold them wouldn't recognize them."
He goes and sits on the bed. The weapons there, while plain, are obviously in good working order. Utilitarian, nothing fancy.
"That's what I do here. Everything is real at heart, it's just a little embellished. Okay, a lot embellished. It's what I've been working toward since I arrived here. The throne will probably be the pinnacle of my achievements. And now you come from the Elders, and you're probably going to disrupt everything I've been working on. I did, however, promise to do them a favor, and if there's one thing I do, it's keep my promises. So tell me, what do they want that they believe is worth spending the single favor I promised to them?"

Shayuri

First Post
Despite her initial surprise at the apparent opulence of the dwelling, Aridha evinces little interest in the baubles once she realizes that they are fraudulent. Rather, she observes the rigamarole as an insight into Slyth's nature. When he finally turns to her and asks his fateful question, her answer is simple and equally fateful.

"The Red Star rises soon," she says. "The Crusade will begin again. You and I will join it. Further orders will be sent to us when we are inside."

muggie2

First Post
"The Red Star rises soon," she says. "The Crusade will begin again. You and I will join it. Further orders will be sent to us when we are inside."

Slyth puts his his hands to his head, and slowly massages his temples.
"Oh snake-molt! The Crusade. I should have known."
He looks around the room.
"Okay, throne is out. Tapestry too. The rugs are goners. The jewelry's all genuine, just worn out - I can take that. Weapons... damn."

He stands, and goes to the bench. He pulls a backpack out from under it, and sweeps the contents of his workbench into a bag which he then puts in it.
He looks at her.
"In my job, I'm always prepared to make a run for it. Backpack contains everything I need. Anything else is a bonus. If it's the Crusade, I'm guessing time is of the essence. So, you have a cover that'll get you or me in? Or do we start building that cover now? If so, we have to get ourselves in place before the Red Star rises, so that nobody questions our being there."

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha couldn't quite help smiling a little at her assigned ally's franticness. The stars were inexorable in their movements, but not fast. On a scale of minutes and hours, they had time. On a scale of days and weeks...perhaps not so much.

"Relax," she suggested, not unkindly. "The instructions I've given you are all I was given. We'll be contacted with more as time goes by, but we are largely on our own. So you tell me...how best are we to start positioning ourselves?"

"I had thought to seek employment at the local temple. I have taken on the role of madras, the mother healer. Wilderness wise woman, you might say. I expect there is room for knowledge of herbs and the body at the church. And it would put me in a place that I could find out how much they know. If they've been tracking the Star Stones, and reading the signs, then they may already be preparing."

DrZombie

First Post
Meanwhile, in the fortress-monastery of Saint Armatt a few miles from Ersapil...

The sound of the choir served as an eerie background to the duel taking place in the courtyard. Two young knights fought for the honour of serving as a knight errant of the Order of Saint Armatt. The loser would march with the order, needing another year of training, the winner free to go as he please and do justice in the service of the God-Emperor.

Attachments

• castle.jpg
    castle.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 67

muggie2

First Post
"Relax," she suggested, not unkindly. "The instructions I've given you are all I was given. We'll be contacted with more as time goes by, but we are largely on our own. So you tell me...how best are we to start positioning ourselves?"

"I had thought to seek employment at the local temple. I have taken on the role of madras, the mother healer. Wilderness wise woman, you might say. I expect there is room for knowledge of herbs and the body at the church. And it would put me in a place that I could find out how much they know. If they've been tracking the Star Stones, and reading the signs, then they may already be preparing."

Slyth relaxes at her words, then grins.
"Oh, my cover is already in place. I am a fixer, a facilitator, an acquirer of difficult-to-get items. That is what all of this is - part of a cover I can use without fear of compromise - because it is real. If it is not as urgent as I assumed it would be - in my line, you generally have minutes to move, and hours or days to get in place - then I can liquidate some of these assets, and use them to get a place in the retinue of one of the nobles who will be going on crusade, even if it means taking less profit than I was hoping for."
He thinks for a minute.
"Actually, the biggest problem is choosing which noble I could attach myself to without causing possible problems with the others. Probably higher up, by preference, which would also allow for some more leeway in action, and more time to carry out our instructions. As long as they are not too stupid."
He sits on the bed, takes down a utilitarian-looking longsword, and starts checking it for any blemishes.
"This will probably do me for my own use. I will need a few others, what I call disposables, ones which will end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, if time is not an object for the moment, how about we get ourselves a bit more acquainted with each other, so we know what we can and can't do."

Corrossyph

First Post
Meanwhile, in the fortress-monastery of Saint Armatt a few miles from Ersapil...

The sound of the choir served as an eerie background to the duel taking place in the courtyard. Two young knights fought for the honour of serving as a knight errant of the Order of Saint Armatt. The loser would march with the order, needing another year of training, the winner free to go as he please and do justice in the service of the God-Emperor.

Gabriel ignored the drops of sweat dropping down from his brow and kept his focus solely on the adversary before him. He was reciting the ancient prayers to the God-emperor as he was taught since he was a young boy. His whole life, confined inside the walls of the monastery, culminating to this point where he had to prove his worth. There would be only one victor.

The two men circled around each other like predators around a prey. Both breathing heavily from the spent effort, but so far none had been able to penetrate the others defenses.

There were silent spectators present, hidden in the shadows of the aisles surrounding the courtyard, nodding with approval as both had been trained well. It looked like the ancient tradition would deliver yet again another capable servant to the God-emperor, granted the favor of leaving the monastery to spread the word. Lately rumors had trickled in that the world as they knew it, seemed to be losing its faith, that the one true religion was being abused for trivial gain and politics, god forbid. Most could not and would not believe such atrocities.

None of these matters were considered by Gabriel at this time, there was only the fight and his opponent. His peripheral vision blurred out, time seemed to be slowing, only breathing and heartbeats drifting in the background.

Most people would have not even noticed the minor drop in attention of his target, but it was all he needed. As his opponents gaze shifted for a fraction of a second, Gabriel lept forward to land a decisive blow.

DrZombie

First Post
“Hold.” The command is spoken, not shouted but obeyed instantly nonetheless. Gabriels’ blade stops half an inch from his opponents’ throat. Panting, the two warriors hold their positions for a few seconds more, then disengage and stand to attention. The spectators come forward into the light and slap their shield with their gauntlets as token of appreciation. The harsh metallic sound reverberates in the courtyard, scaring a few pigeons that were roosting on the roof.

‘Brother Gabriel. I declare thee winner of this trial. May the God-Emperor shine on you and his light guide your ways.” For the first time since he can remember the hoarse voice of Drill-Sergeant Kublar resounds with something else then fury at a sword-stroke not completely perfect or a back-swing half-an inch wide. Something that almost sounds like.. pride?

A few hours later..

The chapel is quiet. Gabriel is kneeling in front of the altar, keeping vigil throughout the night. All of the sudden a ruby-red light-beam emenates from the great glass-work window portraying the god-emperor smiting the foul heretics. It shines straight at a medallion around the neck of Saint Armatt, and the moment the light-beam hits the diamond at it’s center a low rumble resounds and a small compartment opens up in the pedestal, revealing an amulet and a ring.

Attachments

• amulet.jpg
    amulet.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 26760_2.jpg
    26760_2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Corrossyph

First Post
Gabriel looks in awe at the red light, his already strong belief further elevated to new heights of absolute faith.

"I'm truly blessed. The god-emperor has deemed me worthy of shining his light on me.", he mumbles as he lies down, face first, extending his arm sidewards to resemble a living cross.

After an hour of intense meditation, he slowly stands up. Checking the chapel to see that no-one else is present or has witnessed these events, he walks to the statue of his patron.

"There is only the Emperor, and he is our shield and protector" he prays as he takes the ring and amulet and carefully puts the objects in a velvet pouch.

"I need to discuss this with the head of the order as soon as possible" he thinks, not forsaking his duty and resuming his vigil watch.

Remove ads