The Great Crusade

DrZombie

First Post
The abbot looks at the relics with awe.

"You have been truly blessed, my son. This is a sign of Saint Armatt himself."

He reverently takes the ring in his hands, studying it, slowly turning it around in his hands.

"It is written in the annals of the monastery that once every few generations, mere days before the red star lights the heavens, the Saint bestows this gift upon a Knight Aspirant in his wake. It means you are to travel to the temple in the wild lands, and stand among the survivors to fight for the Emperor in the world beyond this one, side by side with Saint Armatt. Wear it always."

He puts down the ring and hesitates, hands hovering over the strange amulet.

"Now this", he says wonderingly. "This I do not recognize. it is crafted in the ways of the eastern world. I traveled there after my own anointment."
Without thought he scratches the long scar that bisects his brow.

"It is a wild and dangerous place. Why the Saint gave this to you I do not know. But wear it you should."

He stand up, and walks over to the armor and weapons stacked against the wall.

"If the crusade is coming, times will be hard. Things have changed in the world beyond these walls. And not in a good way. Greed, lust and gluttony have replaced honor. The High King sits in his castle and plots, eyes only for wealth, power and personal aggrandizement instead of service to the Emperor."

He takes a weapon from the racks, its sheath simple and unadorned, the grip wrapped in coarse leather.

"Here, take this. It has served me well in my time. May it serve you equally well."

"Remember our teachings, my son. Serve the Emperor, and trust that He will provide. Go to the town, prepare for the journey that awaits you."

Once again he pauses, looking at Gabriel as if debating how much to say.

"Beware the Nobles and their knights, for they have lost the way. They will try to use you. Now go."

Corrossyph

First Post
"I will obey your words, father. I will spread the word of the Emperor and of Saint Armatt, or I will die trying to do so." Gabriel looks up at the abott, kisses his ring again and very carefully puts on the ring and the amulet bestowed upon him by sign of the gods, looking at them with absolute reverence.

"I will wear this sign of Saint Armatt with proud as a constant reminder of the tasks lying ahead. I will not fail the patron Saint or the Emperor, may his light shine on forever. Many thanks for the sword, father, I will make sure it will be used for the greater good. With your permission, I'll take leave now and prepare for the journey ahead."

Gabriels salutes the abott by placing his fist over his heart. "For the Emperor, for Saint Armatt!", he says and turns and walks out of the abott's room.

Gathering his few personal items, a backpack, some clothes, a bible, he then makes way to the stable and saddles a horse to ride to town.

As he rides out of gate of the monestary, a sudden bout of sadness falls over him, after all he doesn't know if he will see this place again, his only safe heaven he has ever known.

"For the Emperor, for Saint Armatt", he repeats in his head as he begins the journey to the next town.

DrZombie

First Post
Despite Slyths charms, he fails to get more out of the mysterious woman. His mind is reeling with schemes upon schemes, and he plots late into the night.

Unfortunately, most of his schemes depend on him getting out to the market in the early morning, when honest men start their workday.

Sleepy Pat elbows his companion when the knight approaches the gates. He draws up his halberd and tries to stand to attention as best as he can remember.
"Mornin' sir!" He shouts, then nudges his companion again when the knight has passed.
"Haven't seen one of them about in ages. Trouble coming, I tell ya."
"Haven't seen you standing to attention in ages either. You're always telling trouble is coming, Pat. Now pass me the jug."

The knight calmly makes his way to the market, looking for provisioning and information about the condition of the roads east.

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha meets Slyth's gaze as she gives his question some thought. Each time though she bumps into the same roadblock.

She wanted to succeed in her mission. She wanted to please her superiors, shame her rivals and inspire those who looked up to her. What else was there to want? Those needs she could not see to herself were provided for by the order. And yet, when Slyth posed the question, that answer seemed somehow lacking. And that was unsettling.

So she left Slyth's company, promising to meet him again in the morning. They would have to keep in contact, so as to coordinate their efforts.

The streets at evening bell was nearly as crowded as it had been during the day. The saftey of light exchanged for the cool of sundown. Aridha put the hood of her simple cassock up and hefted her satchel of herbs. The bell rang again from the temple, guiding her steps.

Tonight she would simply ask for lodging. Tomorrow, perhaps she could convince them to take in someone wise with plants and healing. And then the wait.

(OOC - My apologies for the wait. RL combined with some good old fashioned writer's block, basically. Good news is that I'm back both physically and metaphorically, so...yay!)

DrZombie

First Post
The large bells ringing out over the city calling the faithful to service are easy to follow. A throng of people make their way to the large imposing cathedral. Careful and polite inquiry is met with distrust and veiled hostility.
Finally, after a search that took longer then originally intended Aridha finds herself at a small but fortified stern building. There are few ornaments, a recurring theme is a white rose and a fleur-de-Lys.
Two armoured figures stand guard at the gates, immovable and stern in their full plate.
When Aridha approaches a small door opens, and a white-clad novice beckons her to enter. A short interview follows.
It becomes apparent that this is a cloister of some sorts, where young women are trained to become medicae. There is a small hospital attached, and it is not unusual for visitors to stay for a short while to learn from the sisters hospitalers of the order of the white rose. You are expected, however, to work and pray with the sisters. You are free to go as you please in the morning, but should you decide to stay, minimal activity is required. The evening mass is held in a simple church on the premises. The choir is composed of the novices, and there are about twenty sisters in attendance. Several have a fleur-de-lys or a rose tattood on their face, and a few of the sisters are more muscled and bear several scars. All are dressed in plain robes. The abess is leading the mass, an old but spry woman with a voice clear as a bell.
After the mass a meal of bread and soup is provided in the common hall.
[sblock=ooc] Roll against half your int to see if the names and symbols ring any bells, and an awareness roll.
Corrossyph, could you put your char in the rogues gallery please?[/sblock]

Attachments

• rose tattoo.jpg
    rose tattoo.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 67
  • fleur-de-lys.jpg
    fleur-de-lys.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

muggie2

First Post
Despite Slyths charms, he fails to get more out of the mysterious woman. His mind is reeling with schemes upon schemes, and he plots late into the night.

Unfortunately, most of his schemes depend on him getting out to the market in the early morning, when honest men start their workday.

Slyth rolls over when the light hits his face. Morning. Morning? Why had he slept here, where the light would wake him? In the morning? What was it about the morning? He tries to remember, through the fog of sleepiness.
Morning. Money. MONEY!
He springs up out of bed as fast as he can. Here was a chance to make some serious money, really serious money.
He searches through his clothes to find the right outfit to wear, then off to meet the people he needs to. It would be nice to get a cut from all of them all the way up - iron ore suppliers, coal suppliers, cokers, weaponsmiths and armorers, then the suppliers of bulk goods for provisioning of both people and animals, weavers, tailors and so on. But that would take too long. Just the highest level of production, that should be enough. How much? Easy. One part in twenty, that was the traditional payment for accurate rumors from merchants and traders. And if they put their prices up, as was also traditional in a time of high demand, that would be all to the better. But who first, he pondered?
First the weaponsmiths and armorers - they would be the ones who needed the most time to start building up supplies. Then the bootmakers, then he should probably let the local Thieves' Guild know, so they could get people into place in all the other areas where money could be easily embezzled and pilfered. He would be unlikely to get much of a cut from that, he knew, but it would be good for his position within the Guild. And they wouldn't mind him making some deals first, as long as he let them know within the day.
Right. Time to go.
Plan in mind, dressed appropriately, Slyth heads out to start his new way to make a fortune.

Corrossyph

First Post
Letting himself be guided by the familiar sound of church bells, Gabriel makes his way through the town. Feeling uneasy, surrounded by all these unfamiliar sensations of city noises, mixed with foul reeking smells caused by filfth littered everywhere, he slowly wades through the busy crowds.

His senses bombarded by sight, smell and sound, he is unaware he keeps touching his ring, granted to him by will of the god-emperor.

Suddenly shadow engulfes him. He comes to a stop in front of the cathedral. Seeking spiritual guidance and some shelter from the busy streets, he decides to enter the cathedral for some mediation.

DrZombie

First Post
Slyth glares back at the harsh morning light and hurries towards the market, enjoying the cerebral fireworks of plans zapping from impossible to feasible and back. A few coins and a word or two in thieves cant are exchanged with a certain street urchin, making sure the Mummer will have some time to spare in the evening for a business discussion.
His practiced eye is pulled towards a likely target for a number of schemes. A knight of Saint Armatt just rode up towards the cathedral. They are rarely seen nowadays, preferring solitude, prayer and the occasional bout of violence. This specimen looks no different from his brethren. Zealous, naive and none too bright. The ideal combination, were it not for their universal solution for any problem heading their way, being a sword in the gut. Still, an opportunity is an opportunity. The knight dismounts, fastens his horse near the guards, and is about to enter the cathedral when the clouds part just a little, and the rays of the morning sun reflect from an object hanging from a cord fastened around his neck. An amulet. A very familiar amulet.

Gabriel ties his horse to the post near the cathedral. A few city guards are about and nod respectfully when he passes. The morning sun makes an occasional break through the clouds, the light reflecting of the strange amulet. He walks through the entrance of the great cathedral, looking for peace of mind and a sign for a clear way forwards.

[sblock=ooc]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAm8Th82ElE]The Boondock Saints - YouTube[/ame] Gabriel entering the cathedral :).

Corrosyph, gimme an awareness and a common lore (imperial creed) roll.

[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha finds the mien of a quiet, pious aspirant to Sisterhood surprisingly easy to assume. The solid stone all around, chants echoing, and the stark and barren rooms and simple fare...she could almost think she was home again, if it was only stiflingly hot.

In her abundant time to meditate and pray, she instead collected her thoughts and replayed her memories of the symbols used, and the names people had...looking for possible connections that could be exploited to create critical weaknesses.

Corrossyph

First Post
Gabriel starts to relax as he passes the impressive cathedral doors and enters the more familiar terrain of devotion and reverence. Inside the sounds are muted but unfortunately still clearly audible. This is annoying him, "where is the respect the God-Emperor deserves! Is nothing sacred for these commoners?"

After his eyes have adjusted to the different tone of light, he begins to look around.

Remove ads