• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great Hero Showdown (First Round Voting Results Up!)

Testament

First Post
10. Superman (Post-Crisis)

Image:Superman.jpg

Created on Krypton, born and raised on Earth, he is the greatest hero of Earth. Posessed of near-divine powers, such as flight, invulnerability, heat vision, super strength and super speed, Kal-El/Clark Kent has only ever used his phenomenal power for the good of humanity, to protect first Metropolis, then the world.

His only physical weakness is Kryptonite, but his real weakness is his naievete and own sense of duty and right.

Last edited:

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
attachment.php

Malcolm Reynolds- captain of the Firefly-class transport Serenity. Mal was a Sergent in the Independent's Army, colloquially known as the Browncoats, fighting against the core worlds in their drive for Unification. The Independents lost, and the Alliance was formed.

After the war, Mal purchased Serenity so that he could live freely out in the black, as far away from the central planets as he could, out from the grip of Alliance control. He and his crew live on the edge of the 'Verse, taking any job they can find... more or less.

drothgery

First Post
12. Croaker
Glen Cook's Black Company

0812555333.01._BO2,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Croaker became the physician and analist for the ancient band of mercenaries known as the Black Company not too long after joining them, but it wasn't until Beryl that the Company became involved in the fate of worlds for the first time in centuries. A gifted linguist and intesely curious historian, he ended up playing a far more pivotal role than he had ever expected. Ineed, Croaker helped engineer the fall of the Lady's dark empire despite winning the heart of the Lady herself, and found himself in command of the shattered remnants after that victory (where in truth the Lady and the White Rose had joined forces against the Dominator). In the South, he rebuilt the company and proved himself a more than able military commander (not without flaws), and he and the Company eventually put down yet another ancient evil.

13. Sam Vimes

vimes.jpg

Head of Ankh-Morpork's City Watch, despite his best efforts to the contrary. A slightly tarnished walker along mean streets, and like all good cops knows exactly when its time to be a bad cop.

Talgian

First Post
But Mr. Frodo!

14. Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee (T.A. 2983-F.A. 62; S.R. 1383-1482), a fictional character featured in J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy world Middle-earth, is Frodo Baggins' servant who proves to be the most loyal of the Fellowship of the Ring. A gardener by trade, Sam seems to be a simple Hobbit of plain speech. However, his love for Elves, his gift for poetry, and his belief that the world contains greater wonders than most hobbits are aware of (all nurtured by his tutor Bilbo Baggins) set him apart from the beginning. It is Sam who first introduces the theme of the Elves' sailing from Middle-earth, a subtle foreshadowing of Bilbo and Frodo's final journey across the Sea.

lordoftherings_sam6.jpg

Carry on,
-Talgian

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
15. Gamera

gamera99.jpg

The so-called "Guardian of the Universe", Gamera was an Atlantean bio-construct, a giant flying fire-breathing turtle built to save their civilization from the super-weapon kaiju Gyaos. Reawakening in modern day Japan to defeat the Gyaos, Gamera has risen again and again to defend the earth from the depredations of other kaiju... but at what costs to humanity?

Demiurge out.

Dark Jezter

First Post
16. Thrall

heroesthrall3vw.jpg

Name: Thrall, son of Durotan, warchief of the Horde.

Setting: Warcraft

Biography: Slave, gladiator, shaman, warchief. Thrall is the greatest leader the orcs have ever had, his tale beginning when he was discovered as an orphaned infant by a scheming human noble named Blackmoor. Although Thrall was raised by humans as a slave and gladiator, his orcish heart yearned for freedom. Escaping from the only home he had ever known, Thrall wandered the land until he eventually found his way to his people, the reclusive Frostwolf Clan of orcs.

Training as a shaman under the venerable Drek'thar and learning the honorable traditions that his people had nearly lost after years of demonic corruption, Thrall vowed to free his captive people from the human-run internment camps that had been established after the second war. To achieve this goal, Thrall was aided by Orgrimm Doomhammer, the former warchief of the Horde, and Grom Hellscream, one of the last orc chieftains who had managed to avoid capture. Their initial attacks met with great success, and several internment camps were liberated, the former prisoners pledging their loyalty to this new orc Horde. Unfortunately, Orgrim Doomhammer was fatally wounded during one of the attacks. With his dying breath, he proclaimed Thrall the new Warchief of the Horde.

The new warchief returned to his childhood home of Durnholde and destroyed it, sending the message that no orc would ever again be a slave. After liberating all of the internment camps, Thrall was counciled by a mysterious prophet to lead his people across the ocean. This was the first in a series of events that would ultimately result in Thrall uniting with the leaders of the humans and night elves in a desperate pact to defeat the demonic army known as the Burning Legion. Victory was achieved, but not without great cost: Thrall's friend, Grom Hellscream, sacrificed his life to destroy the demon Mannoroth and forever free the orcs from their demonic corruption.

Quick-witted and intelligent, Thrall has a deep sense of honor, and is merciful even to his enemies. He currently governs the Horde from the warrior city of Orgrimmar, where he remains ever vigiliant against threats to his people and their new homeland.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
16. Corwin of Amber

From the Courts of Chaos said:
Borel... the name was familiar... a master of the blade. Stupid, though, I saw. He had forfeited my respect by removing his armor. Battle is not a game, and I had no desire to make myself available to any presumptuous ass who thought otherwise. Especially a skilled ass, when I was feeling beat. If nothing else, he could probably wear me down.

"Now we shall resolve a matter which has long troubled me," he said.

I replied with a quaint vulgarism, wheeled my black, and raced back the way I had come...

"Coward!" he cried. 'You flee combat! Is this the great warrior of whom I have heard so much?"

Corwin and his family are very much like gods in the multiverse. They alone have access to the power of the Pattern, a great cosmological doohickey that allows them to roam all the various worlds of possibility, and endow them with powers beyond those of mortal men.

An amnesiac when we first meet him, we are introduced to this strange world at the same time Corwin re-experiences it. He quickly finds himself moving from a simple attempt on his life to a plot to do nothing less than rewrite the entire structure of the universe- at the expense of everyone currently inhabiting it, of course. Only Corwin has the wherewithal to stop it- and he has to do it largely on his own, because everyone else has a different agenda.

What can I say about Corwin? He's a tough sonofagun. A poet, philosopher, and a fairly self-interested guy. He has been out of the picture so long when we first meet him in Nine Princes in Amber, that it seems like everyone else knows what's going on but him. He's got the world's best poker face, though, and manages to bluff or fight his way through every obstacle that is thrown his way. Not that he's stupid- far from it; he's got to be pretty smart to keep all of his Machiavellian relatives from guessing his own plans.

When it comes to dirty work, he is more than willing to step in the crap with everyone else, and being one of the best swordsmen in the universe (the second or third), he's more than likely to come out smelling like the silver rose that is his symbol. None of that fancy shmancy honor in combat stuff, either. He fights dirty, because survival is the only real goal in combat.

His most admirable trait, perhaps, is his indomitable will. Nothing stops this guy. Not amnesia, blinding, imprisonment- he takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The energizer bunny's just a windup toy; Corwin's the real deal. Of course, it helps that he's got the remarkable regenerative powers of all Amberites.

In the end, though, he's willing to put everything on the line to save his misbegotten family, not to mention the entire cosmos, because that's just the kind of guy he is.

He weaves a really good yarn, too.

Catching my cloak in both hands, I swung it in a reverse-veronica maneuver a second or two before Borel's head and shoulders came abreast of me. It swept over him, drawn blade and all, muffling his head and slowing his arms...

... I caught him just as he had brushed my cloak aside and was struggling to rise. I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"Oh, basely done!" he cried. "I had hoped for better of thee!"

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

Last edited:

Cthulhudrew

First Post

17. Richard Sharpe

Born in the slums of London, Richard Sharpe took up the life of a soldier in His Majesty's army because they offered a better wage than theft. Stationed in India, he was befriended by an officer, Lieutenant Lawford, who taught him how to read while the two were imprisoned by the Tippoo Sultan. This new ability, coupled with a field promotion he received for saving the life of no less a figure than General Arthur Wellesley himself, allowed Sharpe to begin rising through the ranks of the British Army.

It would be tough road, with Sharpe clawing each step of the way and fighting to earn his position. Since he was not a gentleman- a man of society- or of means, he had to earn each promotion through merit, something that was just not in keeping with the structure of the army in which he served. How odd that a man of merit should find his greatest enemy to be the army of the French under Napoleon Bonaparte, who had abolished the aristocracy and the nepotism and privileges that went with it.

Sharpe is a soldier's officer, having come from the ranks, and he and his Riflemen would prove to be a crack unit in Wellington's war against the French.

Plus, he's played by Sean Bean in the movies based on the Cornwell novels- what else need be said?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
18. Sherlock Holmes

Paget_holmes.png

Quite possibly the smartest man in the world, and easily the world's greatest detective, Sherlock Holmes is the Rennaisance Man of the Victorian Era. Clever, keenly observant and a master of deductive reasoning, Holmes solved cases that Scotland Yard couldn't touch, went toe-to-toe with the Napoleon of Crime, faked his own death, and all while coping with a cocaine addiction. How's that for a resume?

Demiurge out.

Remove ads