The Great Wall is Broken [Immortal NPCs]

I assume he has the Time Lord template? A little hard to tell.

He doesn't 'quite' have the Time Lord template in the same way the Seraphim in the Epic Bestiary doesn't 'quite' have the Old One template. He used to be a Time Lord (more or less - embodying the 9th dimension rather than an universe though), but in the process of 'undeadfication' he became a very different, and lesser, creature. Basically he's just an unique undead.

I'm not really sure what his ECL should be, he almost seems a little weak. Avinion (my time lord in the Khorvanis thread) would crush him pretty easily unless I'm missing something.

He is almost certainly weaker than Avinion, as he should be (no portfolio and only one dimensional mastery) ... but he's still one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse. Time Lords are hardly a dime a dozen.

Then again, your guy here doesn't seem to have all 6 Dimensional Masteries which I find confusing.

Right, because he's not *really* a time lord, he's a broken, diminished undead shadow of one. Same reason he lacks portfolios.

Belzamus

First Post
Okay, that makes sense, then. That does make it tough to give him an accurate ECL, though.

His huge hp + Akashic Breath make him a serious threat even to Time Lords (like, I had to pull up Avinion's stats to see if it would be close or not.)

Xanou would almost certainly stomp Khorvanis, who's ECL 1449, and yet...exept for the HP, he's not actually much more dangerous, so I'd guess somewhere in the range of ECL 1500 or so, to give a rough guess.

I'm wondering though, is that his base damage or is Unearthly Weapon Specialization factored in already?

Oh, and I'm officially going on the record here as claiming that Akashic Strike is beyond broken (I would know. Khorvanis uses the same tactic). I mean, Xanou is destroying 1,680 Divine Ranks per round with it. That's just ridiculous overkill (unless he's planning on assassinating the Supreme Being.....?)

Well, I guess it's obvious where everyone's Abrogate goes when they fight Xanou. (Also, I went so far as to multiply the Divine Rank damage on a critcal when I built K. which, in hindsight, is insane. I'll be adjusting that.)

Okay, that makes sense, then. That does make it tough to give him an accurate ECL, though.

His huge hp + Akashic Breath make him a serious threat even to Time Lords (like, I had to pull up Avinion's stats to see if it would be close or not.)

Good, he's supposed to be 'beatable, but is it worth the price?' to TLs and pretty overwhelming to Demiurges.

I'm wondering though, is that his base damage or is Unearthly Weapon Specialization factored in already?

Neither, it's a mistake from when his strength was vastly lower. The Epic Bestiary table doesn't go that high but it should probably be 1,500,000d10.

...1,500,000d10? With that many attacks a round? That can't possibly be right can it? Seems to be, or at least close, though.

Oh, and I'm officially going on the record here as claiming that Akashic Strike is beyond broken (I would know. Khorvanis uses the same tactic).

Oh, yes, definitely. This is in the range of 'whoever goes first automatically wins' ... which is pretty sad when you have a billion+ hit points.

I mean, Xanou is destroying 1,680 Divine Ranks per round with it. That's just ridiculous overkill (unless he's planning on assassinating the Supreme Being.....?)

Already been done in this multiverse, see the first post in this thread ;) There's a reason I'm not statting Xochipactli's "full power" form. (I may well stat her in her current state, as a 'mere' Anomaly with 64 Divine Ranks rather than the normal 48, though.) She's beyond stats as a practical matter, even by IH rules -- there aren't nearly enough Omnifics in the book to use up her feat slots alone.

Well, I guess it's obvious where everyone's Abrogate goes when they fight Xanou.
Most definitely.

However... I don't think Xanou should really be able to have Akashic Strike on his weapon, strictly by the rules. If he's really ECL 1500, his weapons should have a +535 bonus. I added the bonuses from his nonexistent fourth artifact, and the fact that his Crystal Bracers are +500 rather than +750, to get him an Omnific on the weapon. This is, I think, technically cheating ... but he's not built according to PC rules anyway.

But yeah, if you're going to be fighting at this level Abrogate is one of those absolute necessities, like Slipstream, so I don't think it's too unbalancing to give him one over the top weapon ability.

Last edited:

The Sun
Lord of Nine Swords
Size/Type: Huge Outsider (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 200d100+9000 x6 (174000 hp)
Initiative: +81 (Always first)
Speed: Supersonic
Armor Class: 241 (-2 size, +110 Chromosphere, +50 natural, +41 Dex, +32 divine), touch 83, flat-footed 200
Base Attack/Grapple: +200/+278
Attack: Solarflare +459 melee (10d10+183 + 53d6+100 fire/15-20/x2 and 56d6+200 fire)
Full Attack: Solarflare +459/+459/+454/+449/+444 melee (10d10+183 + 53d6+100 fire/15-20/x2 and 56d6+200 fire), Sunbeam +439/+434/+429/+424 melee (10d10+163 + 50d6 fire), 7 longswords +359/+354/+349/+344 melee (10d10+83 + 50d6 fire)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Alter reality, divine/cosmic/transcendental abilities
Special Qualities: Cosmic consciousness, cosmic firmament, divine aura (8400 ft.), divine/cosmic/transcendental abilities, DR 80/- (160/- with Chromosphere), maven, omnicompetent, sun portfolio (double), SR 242, virtual size categories
Saves: Fort +179, Ref +175, Will +163
Abilities: Str 115 (155 with Corona), Dex 92, Con 101, Int 59, Wis 68, Cha 83
Skills: All skills +275 + ability modifier (Maven + Omnicompetent)
Feats: Blinding Speed, Epic Potency (x3), Epic Prowess (x3), Epic Weapon Focus (longsword), Epic Weapon Specialization (longsword), Greater Power Attack, Greater Three-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Weapon Focus (longsword), Greater Weapon Specialization (longsword), Improved Critical (longsword), Improved Initiative, Improved Three-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Perfect Three-Weapon Fighting, Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Power Attack Mastery, Superior Initiative, Three-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (longsword), Weapon Specialization (longsword)
Divine Abilities: Abnormality (x6), Divine Immensity (x10), Fire Mastery, Greater Critical (longsword), Mercurial, Quickness, Perfect Initiative, Polystrength, Superior Power Attack, Uncanny Weapon Focus (longsword), Uncanny Weapon Specialization (longsword)
Cosmic Abilities: Abrogate, Atomic Storm, Slipstream, Supersonic, Unearthly Power Attack
Transcendental Abilities: Transversal

Environment: Space (Astral plane, 2000 miles from world's surface)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Effective Character Level: 386
Challenge Rating: 255

The Sun shines in the sky, roughly two thousand miles above the world. Those on the material world cannot see anything but a seething ball of fire [his Fiery Storm and Atomic Storm auras] but the Sun is in fact a living being, a powerful sidereal.

When seen closely, from within his burning aura, the Sun appears as an armored sphere with a humanoid face in the center and eight arms radiating outwards, all of which hold burning swords. A ninth fiery sword flies around his body.

The Sun was created by Kadmon, one of the Demiurges, as an unusual form of avatar - one given all of Kadmon's martial skills and mastery of fire magic, but none of his famed artifice and craftsmanship. Kadmon himself was entirely occupied with the conflict against Xochipactli, the other Demiurge, in person; the Sun was made to lead the fight against Xochipactli's forces, heading a vast army created by Kadmon for the purpose, the first inevitables and angels. But in the first clash it became clear that the forces of Law had sorely underestimated the numbers of their opposition; Teteoinnan, Xochipactli's avatar, had spawned monsters and chaotic gods beyond all counting. The forces of the angels and inevitables were tremendously outnumbered; Teteoinnan's world-body, large as a moon, was covered in hordes so dense that scarce a rock or plant could be seen on its surface. Worst of all, Cipactli, the all-devouring First One, had herself taken the field upon the side of Chaos.

The Sun plunged into the thick of combat, halting the monster Cipactli before it could devour the armies of Law whole. They fought, growing greater and greater as they grappled and cut. Finally the Sun overwhelmed Cipactli, and the great monster's throes scattered and smashed the hordes of Chaos. The day was won; but Cipactli could not be killed entirely. At last all that could be achieved was to enspell Cipactli in the deepest slumber and prison her in an iron and stone shell; and the Sun was charged to constantly watch Cipactli's prison lest she awaken once more and escape. But she slept for ages, and Kadmon created life on the surface of the world that was Cipactli's stone-cocooned body; and the mortal races bloomed. There are now orders watching the world for any sign of Cipactli's stirring in her aeon-long slumbers, and spells set to call to the Sun and to Kadmon lest she wake; but the Sun still hangs in the sky for the vast majority of the time, ceaselessly vigilant for the apocalypse that he knows must come when Cipactli awakens.

The Sun's task in the mortal world is only to watch for that awakening; his role in warming and lighting the world is entirely incidental, and quite unimportant to him - life on the world is not his affair. On those few occasions (the Long Nights) when he does depart the vicinity of the mortal world on some unknown quest, all light departs with him, and the world begins to freeze. Such periods of darkness may last a single missed day or a decade; more than one civilization has fallen to the comings and goings of the Sun. There are great spells prepared against an unexpected Long Night, but the preparations have not been truly tested in many centuries. Olocca, the absolute tyrant and god-king of a vast southern nation who styles himself a sun god and has amassed many such spells and artifacts, hopes for a Long Night soon - so that the frantic worship of his populace will elevate him to a true deity, allowing him to take the place of the Sun and rule the world through the power this would give him.

On one of his mysterious Long Night quests, the Sun somehow managed to earn the respect of the demiurge Xochipactli - unprecedented for a Lawful being. With power granted from both Demiurges, the Sun is far more powerful than his cosmic status would suggest.

COMBAT

The Sun uses Transversal to strike at foes from an enormous distance. Anything short of a sidereal will almost certainly die before it can ever counterattack, burned to ash or sliced to ribbons by the Sun's opening salvo of 37 fiery sword attacks.

If the enemy survives this devastating attack, the Sun will use Divine Immensity to increase in size every round, increasing his damage proportionally, and continue launching flurries of sword attacks. Against worthy opponents, he will deign to use Abrogate to remove their deadliest ability; honor will drive him to refuse to use this against anything less than a sidereal or adamic dragon.

Abrogate: The Sun's opponents lose access to their most dangerous ability.

Alter Reality: As a quickened action, the Sun may duplicate the effect of any spell of 33rd level or lower (allowing him to apply the feats Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, Maximize Spell, and Widen Spell repeatedly). The Sun's duplicated spells have a save DC of 78 + spell level.

Atomic Storm: Aura, 8400-ft. radius: disintegration, 25d4 force damage, 1 Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution drain, hurricane-force wind. Fortitude DC 187.

Cosmic Consciousness: The Sun's senses extend throughout the plane he is currently on (generally the Astral Plane).

Cosmic Firmament: As a cosmic being, the Sun gains the hit point multiplier for his godly realm (x6) anywhere.

Divine Immensity: While nominally Huge, the Sun can grow up to Macro-Huge in size, expanding from 20 feet to 4 miles in diameter. He can grow by one size category per round.

Fire Mastery: Fiery Beam: 2100-ft. ray (+321 ranged touch), 200d6 fire damage.
Fiery Blast: 2100-ft. range, 525-ft. radius, 100d6 fire damage (Reflex DC 187 half)
Fiery Blood: 50d6 fire damage (Reflex DC 187 negates) when struck in melee
Fiery Breath: 525-ft. cone, 200d6 fire damage (Reflex DC 187 half).
Hand: Touch, 300d6 fire damage.
Immolation: 300d6 fire damage (Reflex DC 187 half) in 8400-ft. radius upon destruction
Storm: 50d6 fire damage/round, aura (8400-ft. radius)
Strike: +50d6 fire damage on every melee attack
Wrath: Gaze, range 525 ft., 100d6 fire damage (Will DC 187 negates).

Slipstream: The Sun cannot be undermined by time travel.

Transversal: The Sun's reach is infinite.

Virtual Size Categories: The Sun has five Virtual Size Categories.

Chosen of the Demiurge: The Sun receives double benefits of the Chosen template, the only being in the universe to do so. This grants him the following bonuses:
Deific Gift: 24 additional Divine Ability Slots
Transcendent Hand: +40 bonus to all skill checks
Greater Alter Reality: The Sun's Alter Reality is augmented by 24 free levels of Automatic Metamagic Capacity and the following Metamagic Feats (ignoring prerequisites): Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, Maximize Spell, Widen Spell.

Double Sun Portfolio:

Spell-Like Abilities: The Sun has all Sun domain spells (endure elements, heat metal, searing light, fire shield, flame strike, fire seeds, sunbeam, sunburst, prismatic sphere) as spell-like abilities. He can use one as a quickened action every round, even if he uses one of these spell like abilities with his standard action that round.

Light Immunity: The Sun is immune to light spells and effects

Scion of the Sun: The Sun gains a +64 competence bonus to all rolls in sunlight*, but suffers a -64 competence penalty to all rolls in darkness

Shining Soul: The Sun gains regeneration 400 when in sunlight*

Shining Messiah: Creatures with the Light subtype and of lesser divine status (Elder One or below) cannot harm the Sun

Sun King: The Sun automatically dominates (as dominate monster) any creature with the Light subtype in his divine aura.

*Obviously, since he emits sunlight himself, the Sun is always in sunlight; thus, he receives these benefits unless affected by a spell like darkness, deeper darkness, or epic versions thereof

---

Godly Realm: The Sun's Godly Realm is a domain of Astral Space (the Astral Plane) known as Solgard. It is 3200 miles in radius, thus extending to the Astral-Material Plane boundary 20 miles above the mortal world's surface, and is marked out from the rest of the Astral Plane only by its clearer, more intense light and mildly lawful-aligned planar trait. Those who attack or oppose the Sun within his realm suffer a -32 divine penalty on all rolls, as the light becomes blinding and unbearable.

When the Sun departs his realm on one of his Long Night quests, the area dims only slowly, its immense stores of light taking much time to deplete.

---
Artifacts:

Chromosphere (Star Eater): The greatest of all armors made within Time, the personal craftsmanship of Kadmon once worn by the Eternal Warder himself, then given to the Sun in preparation for his battle against the great horde of Chaos led by Teteoinnan and Cipactli. Chromosphere would appear as a mighty suit of plate glowing orichalcum-red, save that the varicolored light that shines from it is too bright for mortal, or even Immortal, eyes to see through to the metal beneath.

Chromosphere is +102 intensifying negating nova panchromatic orichalcum full plate. In addition, any time the wearer reduces a Sidereal or other being with 24 divine ranks or more (or the equivalent - such as young or older Adamic Dragons) to 0 hit points or below, the wearer is healed of 50,000 damage - receiving any excess healing as temporary hit points which last for 24 hours if not lost first. This latter ability has given the armor its older, legendary name by which it was called among the hordes of Teteoinnan - Star Eater.

Solarflare (Burner of Oceans): The weapon of apocalypse, waiting ever ready to destroy the world if Cipactli begins to awaken. The ultimate weapon of fire, swift as light, Solarflare burns with a heat which destroys all protections. It is a +100 fiery blast speed longsword that deals an additional 100 points of fire damage whenever it hits. Furthermore, any creature hit by it has its fire resistance reduced by 100 (200 on a critical hit). Fire-immune creatures struck by Solarflare have their immunity reduced to resistance 1000, which can be further reduced by later hits. Creatures without fire resistance gain vulnerability to fire, after which Solarflare's resistance-breaking power can have no further effect.

Sunbeam (Unanswerable Blade): The radiant blade, luminous in glory, symbol of transcendent authority as well as an unstoppable weapon. Sunbeam is a +80 axiomatic power longsword with a quadrupled critical multiplier (x6 rather than x2) that grants its wielder the cosmic ability Authority.

Corona: Resembling simply a hoop or halo of light, this artifact is functionally a belt of epic strength +40.

--
New Divine Ability: Polystrength
Prerequisites: Str 40, Abnormality (arms)
Benefit: Your effective Strength no longer decreases with additional arms.

Last edited:

What happens if someone kills The Sun?

Then someone better research an epic spell to warm and light the world :p

(As I mentioned, *some* places have prepared with magical spells and artifacts - basically a lighting infrastructure on a huge scale.)

Not much chance of it happening, though, as there are very few things that would pose a threat to him "awake" in this universe. (Xanou & the Time Lords are out in the 8th dimension; both Demiurges and all four First Ones are at least semidormant or imprisoned.)

Remove ads