• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great Wheel Cosmology as an "assumed part of a D&D world"

From WotC at Gen Con we heard it reported about 4e that:
We want to leverage the assets of the assumed parts of a D&D world – Mordenkainen, Bigby, Vecna, Llolth, Tiamat, Asmodeus, etc. .
Then with the new 4e cosmology we see a whole new planar layout thrown in, and out goes the "Great Wheel" which has been the generally assumed way planes work in D&D for almost thirty years.

It strikes me as odd that they consider Vecna and Bigby, notable figures from Greyhawk, as assumed parts of any D&D world. The "Great Wheel" cosmology has been an explicit part of most official D&D worlds, to the point where it is presented as a generic multi-setting planar layout in 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition.

Before 3e gave Forgotten Realms it's own planar cosmology, it used the same "Great Wheel" (don't believe me? Check out the "For Duty and Deity" module, or read through the Faiths and Avatars supplement sections discussing the planar homes of the Gods). Ravenloft was an explicit part of the cosmology itself, and Dragonlance never discussed the Planes much except "The Abyss" being used to refer to the lower planes as a whole, or even the outer planes in general, but it was assumed by other settings like Planescape to be a part of it (such as references to events on Krynn). Kara Tur, Maztica and Zakhara were sub-settings of Forgotten Realms and used the "Great Wheel" when planes were needed (Zakhara did have a lot to do with the Elemental Planes, that was about it for planar stuff for those sub-settings). Birthright never really had much to do with planes, but was ostensibly part of the Great Wheel.

Only Dark Sun, Eberron, and Mystara explicitly always had another layout (and even then, Spelljammer and Planescape tried to fit Dark Sun in somehow).

Weigh that against how many settings have Vecna in it (Greyhawk, with crossovers to Ravenloft and Planescape), or Lolth (Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Planescape, and intentionally omitted from some settings like Dragonlance), or other "assumed parts" which are largely Greyhawk centric and don't appear in a lot of settings.

How many major D&D settings were missing many/most of those "assumed parts", like Lolth not being in Dragonlance, or Bigby and Mordenkainen being setting-specific Greyhawk characters?

This brings me to my point: The reason that many fans are upset about the loss of the Great Wheel Cosmology is that to us, The Great Wheel was a major "assumed part" of D&D that was every bit as much D&D, or moreso, than Lolth or Asmodeus. Taking it out of the core and constantly bashing it in designer's notes about how not-fun it apparently is sounds to us like removing one of the things we presumed would always be a part of D&D between editions as a constant between generations of gamers. It was there in 1e, it was there in 2e, even with the massive changes into 3e they kept it mostly unchanged, but come 4e it goes out with this idea that somehow old is bad and tradition is to be avoided.

Many, if not most, homebrew campaign worlds I actually played in and saw used the Great Wheel for its set of planes, a DM creating their own set of planes for their campaign was a little like writing up new races for PC's to replace the PHB ones in terms of sidestepping expected common elements of D&D games. Saying you had your own set of planes was a little like saying "There are no gnomes in my world", it might still be D&D, it might even be fun, but it's distinctly different from the expected norm and what people had come to expect from a D&D setting.

Aloïsius

First Post
wingsandsword said:
Many, if not most, homebrew campaign worlds I actually played in and saw used the Great Wheel for its set of planes, a DM creating their own set of planes for their campaign was a little like writing up new races for PC's to replace the PHB ones in terms of sidestepping expected common elements of D&D games. Saying you had your own set of planes was a little like saying "There are no gnomes in my world", it might still be D&D, it might even be fun, but it's distinctly different from the expected norm and what people had come to expect from a D&D setting.
And many, if not most, homebrew campaign worlds I actually played in did not used the Great Wheel. Especialy since 3e. While all of them but one used elves, dwarves and halflings....
Oh, and there are no gnomes in the 4e PHB, neither :p

wedgeski

Adventurer
wingsandsword said:
It strikes me as odd that they consider Vecna and Bigby, notable figures from Greyhawk, as assumed parts of any D&D world. The "Great Wheel" cosmology has been an explicit part of most official D&D worlds, to the point where it is presented as a generic multi-setting planar layout in 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition.
Obviously, mileage varies. Bigby's association with D&D far exceeds his association with Greyhawk in the minds of most D&D players, I'd bet. Same with Vecna.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Changes like this shouldn't be such a deal breaker, considering that in your home campaign, you can STILL USE THE GREAT WHEEL for your cosmology. WOTC isn't forcing you to do anything you don't want.

Wasgo

Explorer
Drkfathr1 said:
Changes like this shouldn't be such a deal breaker, considering that in your home campaign, you can STILL USE THE GREAT WHEEL for your cosmology. WOTC isn't forcing you to do anything you don't want.
I've never particularly understood this argument. I could have the 4th Edition rules in front of me right now and homebrew it until it plays exactly like 1st Edition if I wanted to. The problem is that they're changing how they suggest you play, and making it necessary to adapt or modify support material if you don't change.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Technically, the new cosmology almost entirely mirrors the Great Wheel.

Consider first that the Great Wheel itself is encompassed by the Astral, according to the Great Wheel cosmology. The Astral Sea houses all the myriad of planes in the new edition.

While the Elemental Chaos is a slight departure, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not entirely different than what is already in existence now.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Whereas easily 75% of the games I've played that referenced the planes at all did NOT use the Great Wheel, yet retained the 'Bigby's' series of spells.

Of those 25% that used the Great Wheel, most were explicitly Planescape campaigns.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Was the Great Wheel really an essential part of D&D? It wasn't used at all in B/X or BECMI, and didn't receive a mention in the 3.0 core books (getting added in at the Manual of the Planes, IIRC). While I know 2nd edition AD&D mentioned a number of planes, I don't think it was specifically laid out as the Great Wheel until Planescape. And I don't remember a lot of referencing to the Great Wheel in 1st edition AD&D until Manual of the Planes, although my memory could be rusty on that one.

Where exactly was the Great Wheel introduced? How often has it been included in the core books, rather than added on later?

FadedC

First Post
Hmm....well I have to say is that I'm pretty sure all my players have heard ofMordenkainen, Bigby, Vecna, Llolth, Tiamat, Asmodeus, etc even if they have never been referenced in the game (well I guess Lloth has). However I doubt more then 1 or 2 even know what the great wheel is......I'll admit that even I had no clue before I started reading the EN boards.

Scribble

First Post
Wasgo said:
I've never particularly understood this argument. I could have the 4th Edition rules in front of me right now and homebrew it until it plays exactly like 1st Edition if I wanted to. The problem is that they're changing how they suggest you play, and making it necessary to adapt or modify support material if you don't change.

Not sure if I agree with that. Flavor text is much easier to ignore then rules text. You can't really alter the "balance" of the game by saying elves are all purple with pink feet for instance.

I didn't like the way they stylized halflings in 3e, so I said they were the same as they used to be.

Same can be done with the Great Wheel. You still know how it works, so in your campaign thats how it works.

I understand the changes they made to the new system flavor wise. It underscores the way they've designed Demons and Devils. (Which frankly makes much more sense to me, and the cosmology is closer to how I've always made my own...)

I'm glad we're getting new ideas to gank from, and not the same old been done before stuff with a new coat of paint.

Remove ads