The Heroes of House Tharashk

cdsaint

First Post
Your journey on the House Lyrandar Galleon "Swift" is nearly done, and the ship certainly lived up to her name. "1000 miles in just under 3 days! And in choppy seas! You'll not find a faster vessel than our Swift!" A crewman exclaims loudly echoing your thoughts. The four of you have shared a cabin for the last 3 days, and you have all become aquainted with each other as new employees of Lord Khundran d'Tornn.

Your first look at Zarash'ak reveals a city that seems to spring forth from the foul smelling water of the river Glum on 10' high wooden legs, fully (if badly) formed. The vast majority of building are ramshackle huts made of woven reeds. None of them seem to be built to any sort of coherent plan as far as spacing or facing. Irregular lumps of mud (certainly not to be confused with dry land) rise from the sluggish green water at random intervals. Strange looking plants rise from gnarled roots, some on water, some on the few patches of muddy soil.

After a time, the port comes into view. A large complex of buildings, joined together by piers, it appears to be constructed with more lumber than the entire rest of the town. Even more impressive than the materials used in construction, the right angles on the buildings appear to be right, the stilts appear to be straight, and it even has a fresh coat of paint. Only one other House Lyrandar Galleon is tied up at the docks right now, but you can see dozens of smaller boats, mainly rowboats tied to the docks.

The Swift pulls smoothly alongside a pier in front of a building marked with the House Tharashk crest, and a smaller crest of the family Torrn. Once the ganway is in place and you walk across it to the crowded dock, you are assaulted by a shrill, piercing scream attached to a short, stout orc woman wearing worn leather armor. "Guests of Lord Khundran d'Tornn! Guests of Lord d'tornn! Transport to your lodging awaits!" She screeches in orcish accented common, thumping her quarterstaff loudly on the dock beneath her feet.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Cazanjan grins. "Fantastic. Charmed, I'm sure." He waits for the others and then follows them off to the transport.

Last edited:

Hoog

First Post
Dox Does a double look of wonder at the orc and smiles a beeming smile. I walk up to the lady waiting for us and say in unbroken Orcish"Well met I am Jarkan of Karrnath and one of those you speak."

cdsaint

First Post
(In Orcisch)"Greetings.... Jarkan... It is good you know our tounge, it may be very useful to you in your new duties." (In Common) "And greetings to you as well. You would be Cazanjan by your beard." As you introduce yourself she flashes you a snaggle toothed grin which might be intimidating except for the obvious sparkle of humor in her green eyes. Her leather armor is a light green color except for scrapes and scratches where the thin skin of fungus has been scraped off where it's rubbed against things. A small gold enameled pin on her breast displays the family Tornn crest is the only conventional jewelry she seems to wear, however there are feathers and glass beads woven into the thick braid of hair that comes over her shoulder and runs down to her belt. In spite of the shabby state of her armor her face and calloused hands are clean. Her scent is a disturbing mixture of mildew, oil, and soap.

"I am called Myrta. I will provide you transportation, and ease your way adjusting to our way of life here in Zarash'ak until Lord Khundran's return. Does anyone need to make any purchases before I take you to your lodgings?"

Last edited:

Hoog

First Post
Dox smiles back and says in Orcish "I ahve everything I need at this time, I am ready to travel whenever the others are."

Express

First Post
Gulo, slumbering on the deck awakes at Myrta's call, and at the change of the Swifts speed as it pulls into dock. Yawning the shifter arises to his haunches and looks around.

With his armor in his pack, the shifter wears an eclectic range of clothing and equipment. A new dark green Brelish tunic, worn breeches and boots made of animal skin adorned with orcish symbols, an elven pattern bow and a cleaver style blade held in a scabbard adorned with crimson gnoll paw prints.

Gulo stretches sleepily and gathers his gear. Looking rather pale and seasick, he staggers toward the others.

"Ho Myrta! I am part of your party. By Balinor I'll be glad to be anywhere but this blasted rocking ship. I have no need of anything but solid ground beneath my feet, or a solid pier at least."

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
Gamil makes his way across the dock, his footfalls heavy on the wooden walkway. He takes his time, still a little unused to such large numbers of people. Catching back up with his companions, he listens to the orc woman.

"Good day Myrta, I am Gamil." He says as she finishes her introduction. After a moments pause to think, he offers his hand to shake hers. "Thank you for your offer, but I have everything I need in my pack. Where will we be lodging?"

Old Fezziwig

"I've been ready to go since I've arrived. The sooner I get to my lodgings, the sooner I can get to work." Cazanjan continues to smile. It's a pleasant smile, but bland in a prototypically bureaucratic way. "If Lord Khundran is unavailable, I will eventually need to at least introduce myself to whoever's watching over things in the meantime. My safe arrival should be noted in official channels, as I'm sure that my House will want to know I'm alive."

Last edited:

cdsaint

First Post
"All right then, that makes four, that should be all of you. Follow me and I'll get you to the closest thing to solid ground in town. Cazanjan, our people will have a Gnome message sent to your house before we reach the inn. House Kundarak isn't the only House showing interest in our little town you know."

As Myrta talks she walks around the corner of the warehouse, down a stairway to a large rowboat. After all are aboard, she gives the rope fastening the boat to the pier a casual flip, and rows you out onto the river.

OOC: Hoog:Dox spots (DR 13 +3 spot) a large (size small) rodent swimming 20 feet behind the boat for most of the trip.

After about 20 minutes, you are in a better neighborhood, and you see a large stone block (170' x 250') sticking about 15 feet above the water. On the stone block are a cluster of stone buildings. Myrta pulls up at one of the docks, and stops the boat.

"This is Huckabees. Huckabees Halfway Inn. You'll be staying here until Lord Khundrans return, It's been arranged. I'll return tomorrow morning, to take you anywhere you want to go. Huckabee is in the tavern, he'll help get you settled. Any questions before I go?"

Old Fezziwig

The dwarf nods and gives a half bow. "Thank you for the messenger. My superiors will be quite relieved." Cazanjan marvels for a second at the stone block. It reminds him, oddly, of a vault.

As they dock, he thanks Myrta. "I'm set for now, I think. Thank you again, Myrta." The dwarf somehow gets himself out of the boat and onto the block. He assists the debarcation of the others as needed. When she has finally left, he grins. "I'm famished. Shall we have some dinner?"

Last edited:

Remove ads